“Very comfortable, a welcome stop.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Salida
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Kingston on Thames
“Very comfortable, a welcome stop.”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We stayed here on our way to Mesa Verde, i booked in advance so didn't know what to expect. I asked for a quiet room and we were given one: no road noise and no sounds from rooms or corridor.
The decor in general is simple and stylish (liked the carpet on the corridors). We had such a comfortable night that we called in and got a room on the way back from our trip. Almost as soon as we got to our room (again quiet and very comfortable) the water stopped running from the taps. The hotel had a massive water leak in reception area. Water leak was not mended until very early next morning. We could have checked out but given that staff were very apologetic and that we were happy to make do with a wash from a mineral water bottle that night, we opted to stay on. These things happen. It was great to wake up and be able to use water freely again. It made me realise how much we take water for granted. We got a reduction on our bill and were none the worse for the experience.
On a broader eco theme this hotel - like all the other US hotel chains that we have used - has plastic plates and cutlery for breakfast use, this then goes straight in the bin, usually cleared by the customer. Surely this is not good practice: too much landfill. China may need washing, but it this gives someone a job and can be used again and again, plus it's much much better to eat off. Whatever is saved in money is in my few a false saving - it just looks and feels so bad.

Room Tip: Rooms at back are quietest, but whole building appears to be double glazed.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Stayed here one night on our way to Silverton CO for a family camping trip. We were able to park our trailer on the back parking lot and felt very comfortable that it would be safe. We had a comfortable stay in a large, clean, cheerful, well decorated room.
Breakfast the next morning was up to par for Hampton Inns. I have come to expect a certain level of quality at the Hampton, and this one met my expectations.
I especially love the 'local' map photos that greet you upon entering the hotels. Also love the photos in the elevators.
If you have time to visit the city of Salida, do so! You won't be sorry. We didn't get to visit on this trip but have several times since. It is a fun place to stroll the streets.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Booked this on the day and were very pleased we did. Very comfortable and the experience from our arrival to our departure was first class. The welcome exceeded our expectations and the pool provided a much needed cooling off after a days sightseeing in Durango. Our room on the fourth floor was very comfortable and had a view of the mountains - who could ask for more. Only the second Hampton Inn that we have stayed in but we will definitely look for these hotels in the future. A little more expensive than some we have stayed at but well worth the money. Breakfast varied menu and gave a good start to the day. Even the restaurant recommended was very good and just across the road!!

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms have lovely views.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Austin, TX
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Staying at the Hampton Inn is very convenient coming into town. And it's a short drive to downtown Salida. The hotel was very clean, nice breakfast lounge and good staff. We only stayed one night but it served us well. It's also pet friendly which was appreciated.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Monument
Reviewed 8 September 2012

The bed and the linen were not what we have experienced at other Hamptons. The bed was rather hard. But, if you come to this Hampton, bring a flash light. The lights in the room, night stand and desk, were 20 watt at best. I could not read a book sitting in bed with the light on, nor could I see much sitting at the desk with table lamp on. You can't see but I am sure they are saving on energy costs. The check in clerk, was rather rude. Otherwise, standard Hampton.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I was worried after reading some of the reviews and thought that maybe I made a mistake by booking this hotel. Not the case; I was really impressed with our room and the cleanliness of the hotel. This being a pet friendly hotel, I expected to see hair everywhere. To my surprise, I didn't see any. The excercise room is great! It has some medicine balls, a yoga ball, free weights, a weight machine, three eliptical machines, two treadmills and a stretching machine. The pool seemed very nice. I didn't swim but the mom and her kids in it at the time I was excercising seemed to have a blast. The food was awesome. The morning that we were there they offered omelettes, home fries, sausage patties, make your own waffles (they even had sugar free and regular syrup!), three different kinds of cereal, oatmeal, fruit, bagels, toast, english muffins, juice, water and coffee. I thought that it was QUITE the offering and it was tasty. The only thing that disapointed me was that I was not greeted as a Hilton Honors Member. Otherwise, FANTASTIC hotel!

Room Tip: I would spend the extra money and get a suite. The suites are VERY spacious. I would also suggest th...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is the first time we've stayed at this Hampton Inn. At first I was impressed - room was large and very nice. The first evening, we were trying to locate the front desk staff to ask about storage for our mountain bikes - the desk was empty for at least an hour. When my boyfriend finally found someone there and asked about storage, the just said "I don't know" and that was that.

The next day we were out all day - came back late in the evening and the room hadn't been made up. Wouldn't have been a big deal, but we needed clean towels - had thrown the dirty ones on the floor, as instructed, and they weren't replaced. Also, the toilet kept running - boyfriend notified the elusive front desk person that morning, but it was never fixed.

They also allowed several large trucks with trailers to park in the main lot - two of them took up 8 spaces each, and a few took 4 spaces, so we didn't have any place to park our Jeep.

The clincher was the last morning - granted, it was Labor Day and the hotel was full, but they ran out of food at the breakfast buffet about 8:30 (buffet runs until 10) and were not able to restock most of the items - people were asking for pastries, fruit, yogurt, etc. and were told they were out. We took our breakfast business to Riverside Cafe next to Absolute Bikes and had a great breakfast for $7 - $8 each.

Overall, they appeared to be understaffed, and the staff that was there seemed to be undertrained. Not what you would expect for a major holiday weekend. We quit staying at the Holiday Inn Express because of cleanliness and service issues, and just didn't expect the same problems at a Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you expect service.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MargRita W

Travellers are raving about these Salida hotels