“Not up to standards and understaffed”

Hampton Inn & Suites Salida
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salida
“Not up to standards and understaffed”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stay at Hampton inns all the time and this one does not live up to standards. It is a bit older and the rooms don't have mini-fridges. All the ice machines therefore were broken except one. The hot tub was broken one night we were there. They did not clean our room until 5pm and they didn't make the beds or replace shampoo or put things in order--they just took out the trash and replaced towels. The worst part was the substandard breakfast. First, they ran out of normal coffee cups with lids and so only had tiny styrofoam cups for coffee and tea. I can see running out on a Monday, but this was a Friday and the hotel was totally booked. There was no butter, just a giant tub of fake butter. There were no bananas, just apples. There was no cut fruit like normal Hampton Inns. The eggs were probably fake--at least they tasted fake. The potatoes were cubed from a big box. The corn flakes were mixed in with the remnants of Special K. It is not that difficult to provide a normal Hampton Inn breakfast or to clean rooms up to the normal standards. My impression was that the hotel is badly managed and understaffed and that their mantra is "let's cut corners!" I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Texas
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked an accessible room with two beds online for my mom and me at the Hampton Inn in Salida, CO. I have had problems in the past with hotels not honoring requests for accessible rooms booked online so I also called the hotel directly to let them know that I was traveling with a person in a wheelchair and that we would be checking in late. I was told that I would have an accessible room and that late check-in would not be a problem. My mom is completely dependent on a wheelchair for mobility (she cannot walk a single step) so an accessible room is a necessity.

When we arrived to check in around 7 PM, the desk clerk was upset because the maids had left before the rooms were all cleaned. She had several people at the desk complaining about not having towels or beds made and some rooms that were supposedly cleaned for the next occupants were not.

We were lucky that our assigned room appeared to have been cleaned, although not well. There were clean towels in the bathroom and the sheets on the beds looked clean. The bathroom needed a better scrubbing, the carpet and chairs had some stains, and old food and drinks were still in the fridge.

The accessible room was large with plenty of space around the beds and in the bathroom for a wheelchair user. The room had a tub with a fold-down seat. The knob to turn on the hand sprayer was located at the top of the shower head, well out of reach for a person in a wheelchair. I had to turn the knob for my mom because she was unable to reach it. A short person may also have a hard time reaching it. The closet was located in a corner beside the bed, which would make it difficult for a wheelchair user to access. Since we were only staying one night, we did not use the closet.

When we returned from eating dinner, our room reeked of marijuana. Apparently someone was smoking in a neighboring room and the smoke was coming into our room through the bathroom ventilation system. We turned on our bathroom vent and closed the door to contain the smoke. The smell eventually dissipated, but we left the bathroom vent running all night to prevent any further smoke ingress into our room. This was my first trip to Colorado since they implemented their new recreational drug use laws.

Overall, the Hampton Inn was not a good value. It was priced higher than many of the other hotels in the area and the amenities and cleanliness were not very good. However, it was the only hotel in the area that offered an accessible room with two beds.

Canon City, Colorado
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My kids and I spent a week in the Salida/ Buena Vista area. This was a lovely hotel. The room was large and airy. At the end of the day it was nice to spend time in the hot tub and pool. The front staff was helpful with information for local attractions and directions. If I come back to the area, I would book with this hotel again.

st louis, United States
Reviewed 3 August 2014

our king suite room was so spacious...the largest suite I've stayed in for this type of hotel. house keeping was not the best as our room smelled highly of marijuana and some of the counters were not completely clean.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

portland oregon
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here for my 50th class reunion. The staff is very attentive and friendly. The suite was outstanding! Very spacious and a superbly comfortable bed! Would highly recommend it. The front desk folks did a fantastic job of handling several difficult customers (really, one was obnoxious)....with grace and professionalism.

Room Tip: Ask for the back side away from traffic. You will look at Methodist Mountain.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Highland, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Chose Hampton Inn because I have had good experiences at other properties. BIG mistake. This hotel is very poorly managed. We arrived to find a pair of dirty underwear from a previous guest in our room; stained duvets; no pillowcases on pillows; visible dirt, crumbs, and animal hair on the carpet. Complained to the management and left notes for the housekeepers....nothing was addressed. Each day when we came back to our room the only visible evidence of housekeeping was that the duvet had been thrown back over the bed. Breakfast was awful. Out of oatmeal, out of butter, etc. and staff seemed very unconcerned about any of this. Our last night, one young lady at the desk seemed genuinely concerned about our concerns, but unfortunately my money is already in their pockets. Feeling very ripped off.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Belinda C

Travellers are raving about these Salida hotels

DFW
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Hotel backs up closely to US 50, a busy 5-lane street. Very noisy, with motorcycles and 18 wheelers all night. AC unit set by management so that you cannot run fan continuously for white/background noise. (That saved them a few cents at the expense of their guests.)

Room Tip: Try for a room in the front of the hotel as the back of the hotel faces the street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salida
Salida Inn & Monarch Suites
Best Western Vista Inn
#1 of 3 in Buena Vista
Baymont Inn & Suites Salida
Gateway Inn & Suites Salida

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Salida? Share your experiences!