“Beautiful Little Drive to a Beautiful Little Place”

Mountain Spirit Winery
Ranked #17 of 48 things to do in Salida
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a family-owned and operated boutique winery nestled in the high country of Colorado's Upper Arkansas Valley. Five acres of farmland, replete with apple orchards and an old homestead house, surrounded by 14,000-foot mountain vistas establish the ambience for creating Mountain Spirit premium wines, many of which are available nowhere else in the world.Garnering more than 50 national and international awards for their wines, winemaker Andrew Ritchie and owners, Terry and Michael Barkett bring educational backgrounds of clinical medicine, laboratory technology and computer science to the winemaker's art. We continue to push the limits of exploring new blends, while maintaining the traditional historic high standards inherent to the gentle art of winemaking.
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This lovely little winery is just a short drive outside of Salida and offers some great wine tasting! I like my wine and enjoyed a wonderful wine chat with the very knowledgeable Cellar Assistant. The Blackberry Chardonnay was a special treat--such fruit to the front!!! I also enjoyed the tasty Merlot Raspberry. Mountain Spirit fruit wines are all made with Colorado fruit. The Cellar Assistant also clued me in that in winter 2012 the winery will be unveiling an apricot wine. I wish I lived nearby so I could taste it and admire the beautiful color. What a treat also to talk with the owner and watch him begin a filtering process. I loved seeing him working in his Crocs! Wine making is such a sticky business! There is a also a Mountain Spirit Winery tasting room in downtown Salida where you can get a good taste of the lovely wine but the winery itself is the real deal.

2  Thank cathy0606

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Good value. Enjoyable experience. Makes me want to visit their winery. Convenient location for wine tasting in town.

2  Thank Wayne1954
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Nothing but likes here....pretty hard to beat good wine at the right price! This was the first wine tasting we had ever had where they didn't charge you....To top it off the gentleman serving was very nice, and the wine was excellent! A must stop about half way between Salida and Monarch,CO.

2  Thank KimboMax
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We ended up here by accident while we were searching for out bed and breakfast- so glad we did. It's not often you get to taste the wines for free. All we tried were good and we ended up getting two bottles!

2  Thank MeraldaSue
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We visited here on a recommendation from my in-laws. They are small but the staff is very friendly. Their wines are bright and crisp, very refreshing. It's not the best wine I've ever had, but I did enjoy their fruit/grape wine blends. They are generous in their sample sizes and also in their hospitality. Go there definitely to try something different... Best not to bring the wine snobs with you, though. ;-) We decided to join their wine club.

2  Thank hkrf0611