“really nice”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 16 January 2014

great burgers. very unique. very tasty. and very delicious. the mac in cheese was wonderful and ill be back

There are newer reviews for The Fritz

Reviewed 13 January 2014

When we go to Salida, a trip (or several) to The Fritz is always on the list. Their food is consistently fantastic. This weekend, we had the kale/pear salad, the macaroni and cheese with bacon, the brussels sprouts, the truffle fries (aka "crack fries"), the buffalo shank with blue cheese potatoes, and cherry pie for dessert. Fantastic food from a chef who was trained in San Francisco. We really love the food, the people and the casual atmosphere. In summer, there's a covered outdoor area that's really enjoyable on a warm night. Love, love, love this place. And the prices are quite reasonable.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This place was hopping when I arrived on a Friday night. Excellent menu with great specials. I had the duck tacos which was a small plate perfect for sharing.

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

You can never go wrong with the burger of the day. One of my all time favorite restaurants in Salida.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stopped in for a quiet dinner and the place was nearly empty, which was good for us as the bench-style seating could get just a little too cozy with a full house. As it was, we had to whisper to keep nearby diners from overhearing us. The outdoor seating, weather permitting, is MUCH more private, plus you can bring your dog. Inside, both kitchen and waitstaff consisted of "dudes," a little self-absorbed but friendly in a detached yet snooty way.

The waiter seemed annoyed that I ordered the Miller High Life on tap - so sue me, I have never had High Life on tap and wanted to try it out (crisp and refreshing, BTW)!

We ordered tapas. The duck tacos were OK, if a little bland, which the absence of tableside condiments did nothing to relieve. The stuffed shells were tasty but gone in flash. We ordered a burger to share and I asked them to cut it in half, which he refused to do and gave us a butter knife so we could do the job ourselves (would it have killed the cook to cut it for us?). The burger was good, with grass fed beef and topped with a tasty sauce and mixed greens, along with sweet potato fries. The meat was a bit more toward medium-rare than medium, but that's a quibble.

And of course after the food arrived, the wait staff disappeared.

For a tourist place, the food was good--which makes it Average, overall. The service clocks in at below average. When you're spending ten bucks for little plates of appetizers, I think you need to be a bit more solicitous of your patrons. Considering the mortality rate for restaurants in that particular location, I'd be trying a little harder if I were them.

2  Thank Ray W

Been to The Fritz? Share your experiences!