“Hospitality at its finest”
Review of Palace Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salida
Palace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Salida
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Palace Hotel while in town for a wedding. The hotel staff was beyond generous and helpful; most of all they were flexible and hospitable (qualities that can be hard to find in a hotel). The room was adorable; besides that it was clean, well organized, it had a charm to it. It is nice to have a room that is unique and different from the other rooms. The hotel sit nicely in the downtown district.
I have no complaints, only praise for this hotel and its staff. I would suggest this hotel to anyone going to or near Salida.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 June 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Palace Hotel for about a week during our break from school this past March. The hotel is next to a river in downtown Salida, a pleasant, quite little town full of friendly people and a short drive away from Monarch Mountain.. The hotel is in great condition, absolutely nothing to complain about, everything was great, including the delicious parfaits and orange juice delivered to our door every morning.. great snack before hittin' the snow. We stayed in room 203 (the St. Michel suite) and it was awesome. Comes with a tv (not that we wasted any time watching it lol), bose dock sound system, stand-up shower, fully-equipped kitchen and walk-in closet. The owner (whose name I forgot) is a friendly guy who was cool enough to help us get our laundry done late one night and sold us some lift tickets so we wouldn't have to wait in line at Monarch. Also, there's always a friendly guy downstairs in the lobby who paints there and is nice to chat with and can make restaurant recommendations. The bed was great and we had no problems with the space heater. There's even roof access outside the bathroom window, for a late-night smoke ;-) overall awesome experience and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Depends on how many people you're traveling with.. they offer a variety of suites to match your...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed at The Palace over the last weekend in May for my daughter's wedding. At first blush, when making arrangements via phone, I was skeptical. Trying to reserve a room/suite with your credit card only to be told by the fella at the desk that "he couldn't handle a credit card transaction and that I'd have to wait for the owner" doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but the reviews on Tripadvisor and other sites were mostly positive, the photos on their website were attractive, and I like historic buildings, so we booked a couple of suites. It's location is perfect for proximity to the park, the river, and the shops and restaurants.

If having a kitchenette is the prerequisite for calling the accomodations a "suite", fair enough, they're suites, at least the 4 or 5 rooms I saw. Our room, 301, was spacious, with a sitting area for the TV, a well appointed kitchenette, a small walk-in closet, and a tiny bathroom, not fitting my definition of suite, which has a bedroom separated from the rest of the space by a wall. No biggy, because no matter what you call it (the lodging trade has some fairly loose guidelines for dubbing a room a suite, all in the name of marketing), when they gutted and rebuilt the hotel they did it right. From windows that actually work and don't require any wrestling moves to open or close, to tasteful drapery and shades that also work smoothly, to appealing woodwork, some of it original, to purposeful if not necessarily luxurious appointments. The bed and linens are top notch and I think they achieved the delicate balance of maintaining the celebrated historic ambience with comfort and convenience. The walls and hallways are elegant and informative, with photos of what Salida and the hotel looked like in 1909.

Oh yeah, the "quirky" thing.

There is no elevator but with only 3 floors that's an issue only if you're drunk, fat, or elderly. Actually, any one of those 3 are not a particular problem but if you hit the trifecta and all 3 accurately describe you, not that I would know, then you might want to reconsider. The lobby is quite small, which would be moot were not it doubling as an art gallery and hence cluttered. Don't get me wrong, the art is superb, with the artist on-site, an agreeable and talented man. It's just too much stuff in too little space. And don't ask for a cot as they don't have one, but rather a blow-up mattress for the floor. It's unclear to me, but after talking with a daughter who brought her 2 small kids with her, I don't think they particularly embrace children as guests. They were kind enough not to charge us extra for them (we had our 14 year old in tow), perhaps because we had reserved the majority of the 14 rooms. And while The Palace is listed as a B&B on Tripadvisor, the breakfast is less than continental (yogurt, fruit, and a pastry) but quite delicious and delivered room service style, which I think is why the staff seemed so fit as they climb up and down the stairs, arms full of food, many times a day. And there are no bath products (shampoo etc) in-room because as they explain, it's "detrimental to the environment".

In all, the price point is high value, in my opinion, if you're looking for more than just somewhere to lay your head. If, make that when, I return, I'll stay there.

Room Tip: 301 has the best views in the property and is very spacious
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We visited my sister who lives in Salida and found the Palace Hotel to be conveniently located and well tended. A bit pricey, but the kitchenette definitely makes for ways to save money on eating out. The remodel was definitely done with thought and intention. I look forward to returning to the Palace Hotel in future visits to Salida.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My hubby and I stayed here for 1 night when we were traveling through Salida,,, This place had recently been remodeled and it was amazing! We wish our travel plans would have allowed us a few more nights. Salida is a great little town, and the Palace Hotel is very conveniently located,, you can walk to some great little places for food. The owners were very friendly and helpful in selecting the right room for us. It was an extremely clean and well stocked room. I highly recommend the Palace Hotel if you find yourself in Salida.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LAfromFL
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We stayed in Suite 302 at the Palace Hotel. Originally we had planned on staying at the Tudor Rose B&B where my husband and I had stayed last year. But they were booked for the weekend. Overall, we were happy with gave the Palace Hotel a try.

The rooms a beautiful and they have retained their historic charm. They've been refurbished and the place is very clean and nicely redone. It's not for yuppies, which is nice. I really like staying at high-end hotels that have a historic side, but haven't white-washed themselves. We really liked the kitchenette, especially in our room, because it had been sectioned off from the rest of the suite. The bathroom was nice, but nothing to write home about, except the views of the 14ers from the windows. The bed was super comfortable. It was a firm mattress with very soft pillow top. I slept very well there. It seemed that the owners put some thought into how to place the beds. As far as I could tell, not that many rooms had beds where the headboards were against each other in neighboring rooms, and most bed headboards were against exterior walls.

Breakfast was light and refreshing. We had parfait (excellent) both days and a muffin as well, though it was different between the days. Orange juice came with it and they deliver the food to your room at the time of your choosing, which is a nice touch. It is not filling, however. Thankfully, Salida is a town with superb restaurants and many offer brunch throughout the week, so you can't go hungry.

We brought our mountain bikes with us from the city and the management was very courteous and helpful with storing them.

Only complaint is something completely out of control of the management - the location. While it is great that it is right across the park, right next to S Mountain, and convenient for being able to just walk around town without commuting in (and not worrying about parking), the hotel is located within a block's radius of 3 bars. So there can be loud people talking or revving their truck engines like a 5 year old on their first scooter outside the hotel until relatively late at night (10 pm, we were still hearing them, but expected that since we'd been in Salida before and knew the location would cause these issues).

I really liked the convenient location and the kitchenette... We didn't really use ours, but I could definitely see my husband and me using it for a longer stay if we didn't want to eat out every night, or if we wanted to make a more substantial breakfast. The rooms are lovely and the staff was helpful. I would recommend staying here, but would warn people sensitive to noise to either look at the B&B's (especially the Tudor Rose) in the area, or just bring a good pair of ear plugs with them.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hkrf0611
salidapalacehotel, Owner at Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Perhaps a suite on one of the other three sides of the building that does not have direct proximity to the street ambiance would be more to your liking.
Some folks may be interested to know the breakfast "nosh" also includes fresh ground organic Honduran coffee too!

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Quaint, but not stuffy. Everything in this hotel is either new or refurbished so nothing is "used" looking. Lots of natural light through huge windows. We loved the little kitchenette with it's efficient larder of condiments, appliances, as well as antique dishes to make us feel we were at Grandmother's house. We sat and read there enjoying the complimentary breakfast of yogurt parfaits with fresh fruit, homemade scones and jam. Just a delight!
All within a very short walk to everything...exercise along the river path, check out town, art galleries and great restaurants. Then for an afternoon nap in our king-sized bed with luscious linens and pillows...

Room Tip: Ours was facing the street, but still quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple