“Reviewing Not as a Restaurant”
Review of Ploughboy inc. - CLOSED

Ploughboy inc.
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Cuisines: Deli, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Description: Almost all of our food is sourced within 100 miles of our location in Salida, CO and all of our products are made in Colorado. We are constantly forming new relationships with exceptional local producers, bringing their great local products to a central, easily accessible sales point in the heart of Salida and creating the best customer shopping experience we possibly can. Converting food dollars back into the local economy, as opposed to large corporations, is our way of sustaining Colorado small business. We want to our producers to come to value us as a great partner in growing their businesses and our customers to think we are the coolest food store they have ever experienced. We find that our customers want more than generic grocery meats and produce. They want fresh, delicious foods that are raised right here in Colorado, by our Colorado neighbors - pasture-raised beef, pork, yak and chicken, seasonal vegetables ranging from juicy fruits in the fall to beautiful organic vegetables in the summer and of course Colorado-based milk and cheese products. We also craft beautiful soups, sandwiches, main dishes and desserts in our own kitchen for you to enjoy.
Reviewed 23 May 2014

First, let me say this isn't really a restaurant, and any answers regarding a meal will be given only if required for this review, so pay no attention to them. In my mind this is sort of a health food store but with real food!

We were in Salida this week to pick up an order of beef. While in town we stopped in the store so my wife could buy some raw milk, which she hadn't had since her childhood. While there we picked up some sour dough bread, which was delicious, along with some local apple butter, also tasty, as well as a couple samples of various breads.

I believe we were dealing with the owner, not sure, but she was very helpful. When I tried to buy some cheese, she strongly urged us to taste it first, as she didn't think it was what we thought it was. She was right. Had we bought it we would have been disappointed. Not that there was anything wrong with it, I'm sure it's great - if you like goat cheese! We'll now make it a regular stop whenever we are in or near Salida.

1  Thank 2MileHi

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

We were introduced to this place by a salida local. It is a deli with a health food shop attached.

Delicious lunches, they taste so healthy and home made... And the bread, it is to die for.

They also sell fresh veggies and upmarket groceries.

We ate here twice, it was so good. I would be a regular if I lived in salida.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

A great selection of food items for normal shopping plus bread and food items to take away. Next door is a small wine and cider shop with tasting and a great attitude. Recommended.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Love this place. I don't know where I would be without it! I buy my milk, eggs, and meat there. Everything in the store is local to the state of Colorado too.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We go to this bakery / deli / mini grocery every time we're near or in Salida. The bread is phenomenal and it will be gone by the end of the day, so arrive early if you want to be choosy amongst the sourdough, rosemary olive oil, and country rolls, boules and french bread! My favorite is the rosemary.

Often we'll buy a soup container from the fridge (or daily special) and some rolls and picnic on the way somewhere. Or if we're camping, we'll take it for dinner that night.

The deli side is delicious - the green chile mac n cheese is to die for (opt w/ chorizo). The apricot bars are tart sweet goodness.

There is a mini-grocery store attached with local produce, great Colorado gift products and other goods.

If the line is long it may take awhile because the staff is very attentive and helpful.