“An Amazing Asset to our Small Town...”
Review of Ploughboy inc. - CLOSED

Ploughboy inc.
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Almost all of our food is sourced within 100 miles of our location in Salida, CO and all of our products are made in Colorado. We are constantly forming new relationships with exceptional local producers, bringing their great local products to a central, easily accessible sales point in the heart of Salida and creating the best customer shopping experience we possibly can. Converting food dollars back into the local economy, as opposed to large corporations, is our way of sustaining Colorado small business. We want to our producers to come to value us as a great partner in growing their businesses and our customers to think we are the coolest food store they have ever experienced. We find that our customers want more than generic grocery meats and produce. They want fresh, delicious foods that are raised right here in Colorado, by our Colorado neighbors - pasture-raised beef, pork, yak and chicken, seasonal vegetables ranging from juicy fruits in the fall to beautiful organic vegetables in the summer and of course Colorado-based milk and cheese products. We also craft beautiful soups, sandwiches, main dishes and desserts in our own kitchen for you to enjoy.
Salida
“An Amazing Asset to our Small Town...”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Looking for something fresh, tasty and local... this is where you need to be. Think of it as a week long farmer's market. The bread is delicious and you can grab a tasty sandwich. Shopping for cheese, bread, fruit and produce start here.

Visited July 2014

Columbia, Missouri, United States
“Fine Food for the Family”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had a great lunch in the Ploughboy while waiting out a rain storm. Also selected groceries for cooking for the family dinner. Great food and great people. The produce was amazingly fresh.

Salida, Colorado
“Best local grocery I know!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and/or I find ourself frequenting Plowboy almost every day that we are in town. We live seven blocks from this delightful gem of a grocery store and prepared market. This business is such a part of our daily lives I've overlooked reviewing it, until now!

We appreciate Plowboy's business model of sourcing local, organic and Colorado produce and products. We like spending our dollars to support this local business, and knowing that our money is going directly to help local farmers and other small business owners. It is typically our last stop "downtown" before we head home to make dinner. They have regular staples such as farm fresh eggs, delicious fresh bread (you won't be sorry if you get the dinner roles), eggs, milk, beans, tortillas, butter, cheese and a wide selection of frozen meats (chicken, beef, sausage, pork). Plowboy also has a seasonal selection of farm fresh fruits and vegetables. It is conveniently located across from Safeway, so we typically shop "local" for what we can and then walk over to Safeway for the remainder of our grocery needs. If you are visiting Salida, you won't be sorry you planned to shop in this fashion.

Plowboy also has a delicious selection of prepared foods and self catering options. Our lives are fueled on Dave's egg salad sandwiches. The tamales are also a staple in our household. The wide selection of homemade soups are warming on cold days and they have great big coffee cups. Seasonally, you can sign up for meats, pies and green chilies. When I am home alone, I admit that I enjoy turning off the stove and having Plowboy cook for me. Some reviews have classified Plowboy as a "health food store" which it really isn't. I've never seen a supplement, organic toilet paper or Tom's toothpaste. I've only seen good, healthy food that tastes great and supports other local businesses.

Last, I wanted to mention that Plowboy caters private parties and hosts private events in its Wine Cellar. At business meetings, I am always happy to see Plowboy on the menu - affordable, delicious and trustworthy. We contracted with the owners, Cary and Dave, and Sam, the marketing manager, to host our engagement party last fall in their southwest style wine and cider tasting room. For a very reasonable cost, they created a night to remember with non-stop food and wine. We had so much fun creating a menu with them that infused my southern roots with my husbands Colorado upbringing. Best of all, their tasting room is *private* - something impossible to find any place else in our small town. There is a great patio.

Note, the store only accepts cash and checks. Locals can set up an account. They often close promptly at 6:00 pm, so I recommend it for lunch or a take away dinner. Plan your day around being there before closing. Enjoy this local gem!

1 Thank csuppy
Bentonville, Ar
“Great lunch option!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had a wonderful sandwich here today! Great atmosphere and fresh food! The place to go for a delicious, light lunch in Salida!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Food Treasure Trove for an out of town Foodie”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

What a gift to find this spot in downtown Salida, CO! It is a charming and welcoming spot across from the main grocery store in town. From amazing breads, to the most delicious and beautiful eggs I have eaten anywhere, to the selection of grass fed beef and local fish. We ate well and easily stocked our cabin home just outside of town. The dairy was amazing, and their selection of cheeses and sausages hit home. We were also delighted by the accommodating and friendly staff who encouraged us to "try" everything, and gave us samples of local eats and treats. The Cherry Rhubarb jam is seriously delish! I was worried about what we would find to eat in this little town, but were greatly surprised and delighted by the array of beautiful and fresh veggies to the scrumptious treats. They even had local Kombucha, which did not disappoint. Get there early and go often! Every trip into town over our 7 day stay, we stopped in and bought more food to take back with us to our cabin.