“No charmer”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Golden, Colorado
“No charmer”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Wow! Was I in the same place as the folks who wrote all these glowing reviews? It doesn't seem so, as our room smelled like unwashed linens and the sheets were rather gray. I like Mom and Pop, non-chain places, too, but this was a stretch. It needs some serious updating....and the A/C was in the bathroom! We found no charm here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank terrrasig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bandon, Oregon
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Salida is a cute little town. I do a lot of traveling and am always looking for a non-chain hotel with a little spice. I don't want the too old, or trying to hard Mom and Pop hotel. Circle R is a perfect match for my taste. The rooms were quaint and very clean. You would be impressed by the glare off the facet and tub handles! The owners, Pam and Lee, are super friendly. If you need anything, just ask and they will do what they can to make it happen. And did I mention, pet-friendly. Not too many places will let you bring your dog without a huge deposit! Plus the owners have a super nice dog too, Pork Chop. Gotta love a dog with that name. Do I recommend the Circle R? You bet! Thanks for a great experience. Next time I am in Salida, if I make it that way again, I will be staying there for sure!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
E. Lansing, MI
Reviewed 27 June 2012

In early June we stopped at the Circle R, which has great street appeal, to inquire about rates. Wow. I picked up a business card to write information on and the woman at the desk sharply said, "Please put that back. Those cost money and are for paying customers. You aren't going to stay here anyway." I countered that perhaps we would stay there, and she said, "No you won't. You will find something cheaper because there are cheaper places all up and down this street." She added that people always say they will come back and they don't, and she could tell I wouldn't be returning. I asked if she had AAA rates and she nearly took my head off, telling me how expensive it is to be in the AAA directory, that they could not afford it, etc. (a simple polite "no", as I'd heard from other places, would have sufficed.)

As I was leaving the office, I bit my tongue and smiled, saying, "Well who knows? Maybe we will be back!" She replied, "No you won't. I can tell." Again, wow. To that I could only say, "You know what? You don't seem to be that interested in our business so no, we won't be back." In the end, her prediction was right, but only because she was the one who made it come true.

We ended up down the street at a place that was more expensive. However, the inkeepers were pleasant, friendly and helpful, and above all, extremely welcoming. Money isn't always the overriding factor.

Hopefully the woman we encountered at the Circle R was just having a bad day. I can appreciate that many people ask for information and don't return for various reasons, but it might be worthwhile to at least give them a reason to consider you!

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AndiBeeMichigan
Smyrna, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Yep, there are chain hotels. Yep, there are others... But you won't find a better place in Salida to stay. Back up to your door and unload your skies, boards or bikes. Clean and comfortable with a gitchy 50's charm. On the main strip, it is minutes from downtown restaurants and only 30 away from Monarch. Oh, and you could walk to Quincy's for a great steak. Fresh towels for your hot tub dip and friendly owners make the Circle R an A+.... Bob Dowd, Nashville, Tennessee.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I've lived in Colorado for 35 years and now that I'm retired, I like to take little 2-3 or 4 day excursions around our beautiful state. Recently, after stops in Pueblo and Alamosa, I spent my last night of the trip in Salida. While visiting Vino Salida, I noticed a card from the Circle R Motel on the wall and I asked the owner what he thought of the place. "If they weren't good, I wouldn't have their card" was his answer, so I decided to give them a try. I like to find Mom & Pop places on my journeys and I nailed it with this place. It is straight out of the 50's and 60's and I say that in a great way. If you like to talk with people, instead of interacting with your iPhone, the Circle R is it. Lee and Pam will go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable and the attitude refreshing. There is no doubt in my mind that I will stay here again the next time I'm in Salida.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Sedgwick
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I make a five day trip to Salida every year and I would never stay in another place. The Circle R is a very clean motel that has great rates, and super owners that go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need for your stay!! Lee and Pam continually show their dedication to their customers every single year we go by making sure we have a great experience at their motel. This year was no exception and I recommend this place to anyone traveling through the salida area.

Room Tip: I know we always take stuff and cook on the grill (Lee let's us use theirs everytime we ask ahea...