“Awesome as always!!”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Sedgwick
“Awesome as always!!”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stay at the Circle R every single year when we go elk hunting and there is no way I would stay anywhere else! It was a great stay again this year. Lee and Pam know what customer service is, and go out of their way to ensure that you have a wonderful stay. It is not a big chain hotel, but has the awesome feel of the 60's motel and I love it. If you go to Salida and want to stay in a place where you are important then give it a shot! I can't wait for our trip again next year its an awesome place!! Thanks for everything Circle R including the good luck that has produced elk three years in a row!! You guys rock!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
denver
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Easily the worst place within miles....dirty and smelly, and the hot tub hasn't been inspected by the Health Department in years. The only thing worse than the filth was the way the live-in family opens up their garage and watches TV all night long at 140 decibels....real white trash.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mark g
circlermotel, Owner at Circle R Motel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Since us "white trash" do live here, there is no way we can stay up "all night" and watch t.v. Many people over the years, love coming into the "garage" and visiting with us. It's why they continue to come back. As for the hot tub, well, its old. If you want to give us $10,000 we'd be glad to replace it. We use the hot tub ourselves at least once a week, therefore, the hot tub is kept in good working order and CLEAN. I'm sorry you were so miserable here. It's amazing to me how people complain on a public web site, but they don't have the nerve to come into the office with any complaints.
Pueblo, Colorado
Reviewed 8 August 2013

For some reasons, my review from a couple weeks ago was acknowledged, but never got posted...
Anyway, Circle R was completely booked and had lost my Travelocity reservation, but they "fit me in" (not all guests had checked in yet, and I had a confirmation printout).
Pros: The owners were super friendly. The bed was pretty comfortable. It was quiet at night. Only a mile to old downtown, and walking distance to restaurants. An extra star for all that.
Cons: The room was pretty awful... dingy walls, cracked window and sink, A/C didn't work, etc. Sheets and towels felt and smelled laundered, but were all threadbare and permanently smudged. A pillowcase with gray splotches on it is just gross. Floors were absolutely filthy with grime and dried spills. Three doors down, a couple was smoking weed outside their room.
The room cost what the previous reviewer stated. I feel totally ripped off.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maltdog
circlermotel, Owner at Circle R Motel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
In ten years of owning this motel, we have had thousands of people stay here. We have less than 50 reviews on this web site. We would not still be open for business if these bad reviews had any substance to them. We spend hundreds of dollars on sheets and towels every year. If the air conditioner didn't work, you didn't say anything to us, yet you will get on a public web site and complain. It is legal to smoke pot in the state of Colorado. We have not raised our rates in over five years. Our rates are comparative to other motels in town. A cheaper alternative would be the hostel which offers a bunk bed and a shared bathroom.
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I checked this place out online thinking it would be a cool retro place. No so! Unfriendly at the desk! the room was knappy! awful sheets, towels, etc. the bathtub was dirty. the hot tub was a lame excuse for a hot tub. it was 100 bucks per night, so not cheap! the windows were so flimsy anyone could open them from the outside. the airconditioner was moldy! the place is For Sale and the owners obviously stopped caring long ago. if you like to puke stay here!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike R
circlermotel, Owner at Circle R Motel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Whew, it was a bad month for reviews on trip advisor. In the month of August, we had over 200 people stay at our motel. Don't flatter yourself, no one was going to beak into your room. If you want to give us $25,000 for new windows, please feel free to write us a check. The burnout for owning a motel and working with the public in general is 8-10 years. We have been here ten years. Never seen a modly air conditioner. How would it even get mold? I has no water in it.... Sorry you were so disappointed. We work hard here. And no, we have never stopped caring. But we can't change anything if you don't come into the office and talk to us.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 June 2013

It's my favorite place to crash in Salida! Older building kept clean and fun. Owners are very helpful with getting around town and sharing info about what's happening all over the valley. Love the outdoor hot tub. Love the old timey feel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed here on Ride the Rockies. The location was convenient and we could ride right up to the room. Our room was ready when we arrived early that afternoon. I borrowed a hair dryer from the lady at the front desk, who was very helpful and nice! She and her husband seem to live right on the property and run it. They are both super nice. They were really busy the night we were there but helped us all out. The room was smaller but adequate and clean. The TV was older but worked just fine. There was a little kitchen in our room that we didn't use because we went to a mexican restaurant across the street for dinner and a pancake house for breakfast the next day. There is no breakfast included with this room. They had rags in a bucket for us to clean our bikes with. For a quick stay and with friendly owners, this place worked out well.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Del Norte, Colorado
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I made a reservation online for my son, his girlfriend and two children. They also have two dogs. As I was in the middle of a meeting, I used the online reservation system that is on THEIR website. There was NO place to show indicate pets but there was a line that said pets were $7 per night. The reservation was made and confirmed to me via email. I then sent my son a text to let him know everything was ok. He called me back to tell me that he had talked to the motel and that they did not have any "pet" rooms and could not find my reservation.
As soon as I could, within the hour, I called the motel to try to clear up any confusion, thinking the reservation had not arrived. I talked to the lady at the front desk who informed me that she told my son that she did not have any more pet rooms and it did not matter that I made a reservation online. She also said I should have called before making the online reservation. Since I was in a meeting, I explained that was not possible.
I then asked about a refund if they could not accommodate my son's needs. Then she went off about how she did not have any control of the refunds and it was a third party reservation system which did not offer refunds, and they all charged her fees, etc. Finally, I got it boiled down to, she would charge my account $7.40 (10%) for the fee they would charge her. The reservation was made less than 2 hours before. Her attitude and demeanor was outrageous. I will never recommend this place to anyone. It's too bad to lose good customers for $7.40.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rkwisdom
circlermotel, Owner at Circle R Motel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
If you check your credit card statement, you will see that you were never charged the $7.40 for the reservation even though the company that manages our web site charges a 10% commission whether you cancel or stay with us. We were charged $14.80 commission and NOT you. I did not design the on-line booking system. We pay a company to manage that for us.

When a person makes a reservation they have to type in the credit card number to HOLD the room. You are not charged until you arrive. Your son obviously was not able to pay for his own room since you made the reservation. So, even if he had come in to the motel for the room, he would not have been able to pay for the room. It's all very confusing. Bottom line, we never charged your credit card. Never.