“••••GREAT VALUE••••”

Great Western Colorado Lodge
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Salida
“••••GREAT VALUE••••”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

Just completed a 2 night stay. I highly recommend for anyone traveling on a budget. Great price, great service, and a good location

• Stayed April 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Upstate New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

We selected this motel based on AAA guidebook recommendation. The first clue should have been the lack of cars in the parking lot as it was getting late in the evening. I read the agreement (or thought I did) , signed in for one night and received a room key. The place has not been updated since the 50's. Did not smell fresh, everything was old and out of date. When I returned to say I could not stay there the desk clerk then stated I must pay 20% of the room rate. Early checkout which was anywhere from one minute to 30 minutes, required payment of 20%. I have never heard of this before but I was told "It's our policy." That must be how they make their money. It certainly would not be from repeat customers. Do your self a favor and stay some where else.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bnbmcgee

Travellers are raving about these Salida hotels

Colorado Springs, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

I stayed here during FIBArk weekend in June 2010. Ride the Rockies was also in town and most of the other motels in Salida were either completely booked or charging exorbitant rates for rooms. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, the room was clean and quiet, and I got a good night of sleep. It's an older motel, so everything was a bit worn, but it was a good value for the price.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Lockport, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

I chose this place as it was the least expensive lodging in Salida which were unreasonably high in my opinion! Upon checking -in they gave us the wrong room that I had reserved. I asked for a King bed - they gave us two Queens in the handicapped room. We corrected them and they gave us a King and Queen room. However, the hair dryer didn't work and neither did the TV remote. My wife asked that he sauna and pool closing time be extended from 9:30pm to 10pm and they nicely accommodated us, however the sauna didn't work and the pool water was cold, so we kept our swim short and returned to our room where the air was stale, however the beds were comfortable. It was advertised as the greatest hotel in Salida. perhaps the prices were great but it was not as wonderful as advertised. As long as they get your reservations correct it's a comfortable and affordable place to sleep - and the staff is friendly and accommodating.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
SW Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

We hosted our family reunion here in 7/09 with 40 people including small children. The staff were very accomodating and friendly. The rooms and site are older but it worked for a large event. The hotel is right by the Salida Pool and a park, and many eateries. There is internet access in the lobby. The bathrooms could be a little cleaner but we'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

Stayed here last on business in Salida. They allow dogs (boyfriend has one), have a free light breakfast in the morning with waffles. mmm yummy. I like Waffles. Fresh fruit, an array of cereal and breakfast breads and plenty of juice and milk.

I would not say that the beds are the most updated or comfy, but I will say that it is fairly quiet and private if you pick a corner/end room with the King bed by the pool or across the way heading out to the highway. It is decent in size and pretty mellow at night.

The staff is remarkable and I love the fact that every time I check in the owner is around. He is pretty cool and always willing to give you help. It is personal and not corporate. I admire that and tend to return to family like owned places that get "down and dirty" with the customers and staff.

If you are on a budget and looking for a great place to stay, for a great price, this is it!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2008

My boyfriend and I stay in Salida on a regular basis and are constantly trying different motels. We were going up for his birthday for a Wednesday/Thursday night stay. The front desk manager was incredibly accommodating - far and away the nicest hotel staff member I've met. The rate was great ($43+tax/nt) and when I asked if there was an in room refrigerator, he said "no" but said he could arrange for us to use his fridge if it was an issue, which was so sweet.

However, the actual accommodations were not great. The bed was okay, but the sheets had light stains and the pillows were atrocious. Also the walls are *very* thin. On one side of us we had a woman who talked on her cell phone all night and we could hear both sides of the conversation and got up at 5:30am both mornings we were there and the other a family that watched action films all night. Not very restful.

There was a coffee machine in the room, but no refrigerator or microwave, which is disappointing. As for other amenities - the jacuzzi and indoor pool are great and there is a light continental breakfast in the morning.

So - the staff is great, but if you have any desire to hang out in your hotel room and relax or sleep in, this is not the place for you.

• Liked — The amazing staff!
  • Disliked — The uncomfortable/unrestful rooms
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple