“Nice Place to Stay”

Great Western Colorado Lodge
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We constantly stay here whenever we are in the Salida area, probably 6 to 10 times per year; in the winter for skiing, and in the summer for mountain biking. It is not fancy but we are rarely in the room except to sleep. It has an adequate breakfast which we enjoy during every stay, and a pool and sauna which we have never used. The rooms are clean and the lodge provides easy access to skiing and mountain biking areas. As with many such lodgings, the WiFi quality varies somewhat between rooms. Any lacking in sleep quality is due only to rude guests and has nothing to do with the lodge management. We find the owner not only pleasant and likeable, but very obliging. At times we have asked to check-in early or requested a specific room, and he is always very accommodating to such requests. While English is not his primary language, we have no trouble at all communicating with him. Having lived in various countries abroad, we very much respect an individual who can succeed in business in his adopted home.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Great Western Colorado Lodge

Reviewed 6 February 2014

This is not a fancy place - just a basic motel - but it is comfortable and clean for a reasonable price. A lot of the previous reviews are several years old and I think the place has been somewhat updated since then. The bed was comfortable, all the linens were in good shape, and our room was spotless. Several of the negative reviews are due to booking on line. We drove in and got a room and had no difficulty communicating with the owner who is from South Korea. The main suggestion I would make is that the breakfast should include some healthy alternatives such as whole wheat bread, oranges, bananas.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank astrobob
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I Should Blister This Place...
I won't. If you know me, you know that value is everything in my judgment. I will spend more if I get more and if I spend less, I expect less.
However...
The customer service had a serious language barrier and the amenities need translation. We stayed there as part of a large group and I personally believed that the discount should have made the difference in the rate. I could have found a better rate down the street and been more comfortable.
The dirt was piling up faster than the insects were breeding. Housekeeping needs a lot to be desired there and there is an insect infestation (as there is everywhere in that area in the summer). I've spent my life in and out of that area, though, and I know that there is no excuse for some types of insects because the weather is too cold if you keep their natural breeding places clean and dry.
The manager/(owner?) was virtually impossible to talk with as he doesn't know enough English yet to conduct business and does not speak any of the usual languages for that area. The website does not get translated well enough to manage. I booked two rooms with a large group, cancelled one for one of the nights and then tried to disentangle the ensuing debacle in person. There are several reviews I see mentioning the internet booking. Believe it!
I can't speak to a lot of the features. Parking is not adequate and I did not trust any of the other facilities offered. I breakfasted out.
The rooms were large enough and should have been comfortable. I like the quaint and homey kind of place that this hotel has the potential of being. The woodwork puts me in mind of good places and the set up of the room is familiar.
The beds are very uncomfortable (and I usually only stay in a room to sleep).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank nabenom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The place is a little tired - needs some tender loving care. The parking lot needs to be cleaned of debris and the whole place could use some brightening up but it was a comfortable room albeit also somewhat tired and outdated.

We were tired and found this place as it was beginning to rain or may have looked around a little more for a room. The carpeting needs stretched, the furniture needs updated, the television is the old tube type, and the linens must be pretty old. The bathroom was clean and that was a plus!

The place has a pool and I did peek in the window but don't have enough information to comment on it. Look at the room and pool first if you're thinking about a night's stay would be my suggestion.

Room Tip: You may want to look at the room before signing on the dotted line.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We booked the room online a day before we stayed. We arrived late and when we got there the Internet booking had booked us 2 rooms. The motel manager tried to argue with us that we needed to pay for the booking fee of $20 for the second room we didn't need as he would be out of pocket as he had turned down previous people trying to book last minute. Eventually we managed to reason with the manager that his online booking system was at fault and not ours. Room wasn't great either. I had to wrap one of my beach towels around the pillow to sleep on as it was yellow. Ok for one night no frills but wouldn't stay again,

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mcc87_13
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Booked a room online & when we arrived 3 hrs. later, they said they didn't get our reservation in time & didn't have any rooms left. Kids were very disappointed as we had to get a hotel with no pool.
Seems like really poor service.

Room Tip: Do not use online reservation service !!!
Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank allen1978
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Clean convienient but not really good for pup even though pet friendly . Needs pet place.

• Stayed: December 2011