“Great place to sleep for a night”
Review of Browns Canyon Inn

Browns Canyon Inn
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Slept here on our way through this part of Colorado. Clean place, descent prices, comfortable beds, and safe parking. Overall I would stay at this place again. It was quiet the night we were there, and well maintained. Just what I look for in a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Wonderful location and picturesque views of the mountains. Friendly staff and some of the best housekeeping crews ever! Convientent to many great places to eat, sights to see and if you forgot anything - convience stores are near by. Rooms are updated and very clean! Good things do come in small packages! Would definitely stay again - so much to see and do I the area!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We reserved our rooms thru Cheap Tickets. We stayed two nights, Friday August 2nd and Saturday August 3rd. Thru Cheap Tickets, both nights were reserved and confirmed at $99 per night. As you will see here on Trip Advisor and other review sites, this place seems to practice the old bait and switch pretty routinely.

We dealt with the female owner (the wife of this husband and wife operation). It only took about 10 seconds after we gave her our name that she started to tell some story about how Cheap Tickets gave us a "government rate" and so we would need to show our "government i.d."

Well that did not happen. Nowhere on our confirmation (which we printed from Cheap Tickets) was this mentioned. It wasn't mentioned because it did not happen. She told us then that she will have to charge us full price for Saturday night ($129). Well, I wasn't having any of that and I let her know it. She then went on to lecture us about booking through these 3rd party sites- she basically told us not to use third party sites because they always mess up. I did not think of it at the time, but I should have asked her, why then do they choose to sell rooms on these sites? I do not think it is required. In fact, I know it is not required. So why would they use these sites?

Because they use these sites as a part of their bait and switch scheme.

Anyways... after going back and for a couple minutes, she gave in and went ahead and gave us the rooms for the price we reserved them for. However, she made sure to let us know that if we were dealing with her husband, it would not have happened.

Also, we originally had a room with refrigerator and microwave but after the argument over price, she downgraded us to a room without those two items. As she was getting our key, she asked a maid if "room 215" was ready, and the maid said yes. But then, seconds later, she asked the maid if 201 was ready, and again she said yes. She gave us 201. We thought nothing of it... at first. However, when we went upstairs, ALL the room doors were open (perhaps to help keep them aired out? i assume?) So after we got in our room, my wife wondered if there was any difference. So we went and peaked inside of the other one, and yes, it had a microwave and mini-fridge. Not a big deal, but I am willing to bet that had we caved and gave into her price-hike, we would have gotten the nicer room.

The free breakfast was lousy. Basically run of the mill pastry items. ONE waffle for everyone to share (and then, as needed another waffle would be brought out for everyone to split). And by everyone, I mean everyone in the room. No orange juice, no milk (there was milk, but only for cereal use).

The rooms were nice and clean... no complaints there. The grounds were nicely landscaped. The hot tub was okay, nothing special.

I will not stay here again. Our family (my parents and my brother and his family) stayed at the Gateway Inn, and for the money, I'd take Gateway over Days Inn in a heartbeat. From the moment we walked into this Days Inn, the treatment we got at first started things off on the wrong foot. I do appreciate a clean room (that is essential), but customer service is equally essential to me.... that is why I scared this place so low.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank perceptionsbymarco
Reviewed 7 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
1  Thank A_RAdventures
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I made my reservation through Orbitz on-line for $99 but, when I arrived, the VERY rude desk clerk (possibly the owner) raised the price to $129 and would not even look at my confirmed reservation on Orbitz. He also did this to the couple that was checking in before me. I recommend going to any other hotel in Salida.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple