“one word ......... "RUDE"”
Review of Browns Canyon Inn

Browns Canyon Inn
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Salida
kansas
“one word ......... "RUDE"”
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Arrived approximately 5:30 to check-in. I had reserved the room prior to arrival using trip rewards points. I was informed there would be an additional $10 charge plus tax and fees (approx. $12) because we had one more person in our party than the room had been booked for. (OK. no problem.) so i paid the $12 or so and went back outside to park my pickup and atv trailer. Since we were going to be leaving in 15 minutes to eat, I parallel parked in the front using 3 of the east stalls. (there were no cars parked in front of the motel at this time). Before I could get out of my truck, one of the owners (think his name is Mark), came walking out the front door, shaking his head with both his hands up in the air. I thought this was tremendously rude. I asked him if there was something wrong, he instructed me in a rather harsh manner that I needed to park in the back. (OK. no problem. all you have to do is ask. no need to get irrate about it) So, he walked through the motel to the back of the property as I pulled around to park in the back. Once around back, I did not see him initially, as he was standing behind a fenced in area (guessing it contained a trash dumpster or something). By the time I spotted him, I was maybe 20 feet past him. He shook his head at me and threw both his hands up in the air AGAIN. I went ahead and backed into the space he wanted me to park in. There were no other cars in the back parking lot. I'm not sure why he was so angry. After parking, he asked if we were going to unhook the trailer for the night? I responed that I was going to leave it locked onto the hitch of my pickup, so that it couldn't be stolen as easily, because we had 2 expensive 4 wheelers on the trailer. He acted half mad about that too. Overall, I'm not sure what his problem was. Maybe he had a bad day, or maybe he is just a grumpy guy. Either way, I don't think it is appropriate to take it out on customers or berate anyone, just because you don't like where they park, etc......not to mention it is poor business practice. If I had not reserved the room using triprewards points (i.e. non-refundable & non-cancelable), I would have handed my key back to them and instructed them not to charge my card, and proceeded to drive to another motel that would appreciate my business. I definetly would NOT recommend staying at this motel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009
3 Thank strawboss760

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
new jersey
Reviewed 23 August 2009

On a cross country trip. Stayed for 1 night wish it could have been longer. I've stayed at Days Inn before and was a little concerned. They are usually a bit basic to shabby. Wow what a pleasant surprise. Arriving late we were greeted by one of the owners Anna who checked us in fast and got us to our room right away. Okay so the room was a little small but very nice . Not your standard hotel room . There were murals and faux finishes done by the owners and it was nicely appointed. Quietest room ever in a motel that turned out to be packed with guests. Nice toiletries and good linens. Had free but typical breakfast in cutely decorated lobby and nice chat with other owner Bill? don't remember his name. The grounds were nicely landscaped with lots of plants and statues and there was a hot tub in back in a nice private area. The Days Inn people should send the owners of other motels here to see how to do it right.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Münster
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We recently stayed in this beautiful, family-owned Days Inn in Salida, Co.
Due to the low price and the numerous awards, this hotel seemed to be very attractive. However, our expectations were significantly exceeded:
~ the rooms were recently updated and are immaculately clean,
~ there are very comfortable beds,
~ and the outdoor facility is in very good condition.

To sum it up: we had a great night in this lovely hotel for an unbeatable price.

P.s.: Try Quincy's -- the steaks are really delicious!
Greetings to Mark & the German Dog 'Oscar'

Long Island, NY
Reviewed 17 August 2009

This is an ok spot. Its not exceptional, but it is comfortable and clean. What sets it apart in Salida is that it is the only non-smoking hotel in town! If that matters to you, make a statement. Vote with your wallet. By the way, if you stay here, be sure to drive thru historic Salida. It's charming.

charlottesville, va.
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We stayed here recently and had an excellent experience overall. The staff were welcoming and did everything they could to make our stay comfortable. The room was spotless and inviting. The continental breakfast was held in the lobby which is a treat to see as the decor is very creative and the food was fine. We normally do not seek out a Days Inn but based on reviews we read on the Trip Advisor website, we decided to reserve there. We were not disappointed. We highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
colorado
Reviewed 27 July 2009

When we went ot check in, the owner, Mark could not find our reservation. I provided him with a confirmation #. He then told us our reservavation was for 6/9 which was the day I called to MAKE a reservation for 7/25. He insisted it was my error. Obvioulsy the gal who I spoke with via phone to make the reservation did not change the date...these things happen. The owner told me they had no rooms so too bad. It would have been nice to have an apology or an offer to help find another room for the night. He raised his voice contiuously insisting our reservation had been for 6 weeks prior. I told him I would be contacting the corporate offices to let them know how poorly the situation had been handled and as I was walking out the door he said," I never want to see your face again!"
Incredible! Needless to say, he doesn't need to woory about that! I cannot speak to the hotel itself as we obviously did not stay there, but the rudeness from the front desk was unbelievable.

1 Thank scwebuck
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Stayed here one night before going rafting on the Arkansas River. More hotel choices and better pricing staying in Salida verses Buena Vista. Excellent shower. Linens and pillows on par with any Four Season I've ever stayed at. Owner's a bit of a character but quite affable.