“Clean but basic”

Salida Inn & Monarch Suites
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

This is an older motel. Not affiliated with a national chain; locally owned.

The room was 2-queen room with sitting area inclining sofa. Walls were nicely painted. Safety Flip-type door lock was broken. Bathroom door dragged on floor when open 90 degrees. Shower mat Rowell had several holes in it bed was comfortable. Wifi was included and worked well, breakfast was bread products, fruit, and cereal. Cream cheese and butter for bread items were common pot for all users rather than individual packages. No senior rate in summer. I thought price was high for what was provided, but time was summer, and it is tourist season.

• Stayed: August 2013
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

John,

Thanx for the review, but I am wondering what you mean by basic hotel. Lets see, the room is over 340 sq. ft., has New Furniture, New Flat Screen TV, Two Queen Beds and a Sofa Sleeper, a Refrigerator and a Microwave, and as you say, "good Wifi reception".

I am sorry you found holes in the floor mat, but I am even sorrier you didn't call and tell us about it so we could bring you a new one.
As for the broken safety latch on the door, I guess you aren't aware of the latest information about How Unsafe they are, How easy they are to break into, and How they can accidentally get latched when the door is closed leaving kids who are too short to reach it, locked inside the room until maintenance can be called to break the latch. I'm sure you noticed the much safer Dead Bolt Lock on the door.

As for the butter and cream cheese not being in Individual packages, once again, I prefer to err on the side of safety. We use to use Individually wrapped condiments and then one day I noticed that there is no "Don't Use After" date on those small packages. I think my quests are much safer taking a new clean knife and using it to scoop out butter from a clearly marked larger container. Same reason I prefer to leave milk and Juice in the containers they came from the store in, rather than dumping them into unmarked dispensers.

As for the price, well you are partially right, it is summer and prices are higher in this season, but I am sure you checked other prices before booking here.

Thanx again,

Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is a somewhat older motel that is privately and locally owned. The rooms are clean and come with large flat-screen TV, free wi-fi, and jacuzzi. Bed was comfortable and the AC kept the rather large room at a comfortable temperature on a hot day. There is a nice outdoor swimming pool and spa for guest use .The owner-manager was very friendly and bent over backwards to make sure my family and I had everything we needed. This is a very good value at a modest price.

Room Tip: The separate rooms along the creek at the back of the property are great for a larger family group.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Jim

Thanx for the nice review, always appreciated.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed here for 1 night in a mini-suite. There were 2 queen beds plus a sofa. There was an LCD tv, fridge, microwave and coffee maker. I only used the coffee maker which was very welcome. The bed I slept in was exceptionally firm which worked well for me. The coverings were all very modern and new looking. The room was very quiet.
There was breakfast in the Lobby – cereal, toast, bagel, yogurt – nothing fancy but I was happy enough with it.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mumontour08
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Hiya Mum,

I understand that is the way one says hello in GB. Hope it isn't too informal. Any who, thanks for the nice review. I have heard it said that the second one thinks they have perfected something, is immediately followed by the second they begin looking to improve upon it. Here at Salida Inn, we won't ever reach that perfect condition because we are always looking for ways to improve it.

Thanx again,

Reviewed 27 July 2013

While it appears that Mike is in the middle up upgrading the facility, our stay there was good. The building looks a little shabby on the outside, but our room had been redone and it appears that the owners are continuing to make improvements. The room was large and very clean. The bed was comfortable and there was a microwave and fridge. It seemed like the room was designed to have a table and chairs, but ours were missing. The breakfast offerings were very adequate. We didn't have a chance to use the pool or hot tub. This was a good location for everything we wanted to do in the Salida area and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Hey DigDig,
Thanx for the nice review, it is greatly appreciated. Sorry about the lack of table and chair in your room. A previous guest just prior to your visit thought the desk was the perfect place to keep the dog he didn't tell us about while he went out. He turned the table up side down, wrapped one of our new sheets around all four of the legs and placed the chair on top of the four legs to keep the sheet in place. We only discovered this when we heard the poor animal whimpering and went into the room to check. After we took the animal down to the owners quarters to calm its poor nerves, we all had a good laugh and admired the guests ingenuity, but, had to get rid of the table and the chair.
I hope you'll visit with us again, we will make sure you have a room with a table and chair.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Lovely motel near everything in Salida. The staff was WONDERFUL, some of the best customer service we've had in a long time. The room was very clean even the drawers were clean and ready to be filled with our clothes. The pool and hot tub were also very clean and lovely to enjoy.

1  Thank Natasha G

Natasha

Thanx so much for your nice review. My staff and I really appreciate when nice folks notice our efforts.

Thanx

mike

Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

I admit to being a bit concerned when we pulled up. The exterior of the property lacks charm, looking a bit like an office building from the 1960's. But it was clean and well-maintained, so in we went. Our room was spacious and clean, with lovely comforters on the beds. There was a microwave and a mini fridge, amenities which aren't usually in rooms at the price we paid ($78 on a Thursday). The staff was friendly and accommodating. The pool area was outside and fairly small. The mattresses could probably use some updating (at least in our room), but they didn't keep us from getting a good night sleep. Is this a Marriott? No. But it is an excellent value.

• Stayed: July 2013
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

nevusmom,

Thanx so much for the nice review. Now that I think about it, the building in front does look a little like an office building. We tried to dress it up with the new stone work and the new hardie plank siding and trim and we do get compliments on it form people who new the hotel before we took over and did the work. I guess I will have to keep working on it.

I am a little surprised to read that you thought the 18 x 36 pool was small, but realistically anything bigger would take away from the Private Courtyard area where its located.

As for the mattresses, believe it or not, guests have never complained about the mattresses and most tell us they are comfy,

It has been said that "Brilliant minds think alike" and you and I must have been in tune when you were here because I just recently ordered all brand new Pillow Top mattresses. Between you and I, oh, and the world actually, It doesn't matter if they NEED to be replaced, we want our guests to be a comfortable as possible, so we ordered new for the entire hotel.

Maybe when you come back to Salida , you'll stay with us again and try out our new mattresses.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

stayed 10 days while on vacation from Alabama, staff was more than helpful made us feel like family,rooms and service were top notch.thanks to mike and jay we will defintly return and stay again, great,great place and staff

1  Thank tim a

Tim,

It was a real pleasure having you and your family stay with us and we are glad you enjoyed everything while you were here.

Thanx for the really nice review and we look forward to your return next year.

Until then,

Thanx again

Mike

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salida
Hampton Inn & Suites Salida
Mountain Motel
Mountain Motel
#6 of 16 in Salida
Baymont Inn & Suites Salida

Been to Salida Inn & Monarch Suites? Share your experiences!