“Great Spot”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Fountain, Co
“Great Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Even though my room was on Hwy 50, things were really peaceful after dark. The room (103) was very basic but had a little fridge, microwave, closet (could have done with a rod to hang clothes), TV and a really comfortable bed. I didn't make use of the inviting pool or hot tub but they are available to guests. There is a courtyard out back with suites and plenty of parking. Mike the manager was friendly and helpful. I loved the shower! Not far from the center of things downtown either. Plenty of restaurants nearby to choose from. I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: I would perhaps choose a room in the back of the building next time.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Adrienne
Thanx so much for your nice review of our hotel. Our staff will be delighted you found your room to be comfortable. I will apologize for the missing cloths rod in the closet. Our painter forgot to put it back up after we repainted the room a few days prior to your arrival. We have since corrected that.
I hope you will have the opportunity to visit again next spring as we are planning several additional improvements that I think you will like.

Mike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We needed a place to stay between Denver and Santa Fe. This was excellent choice. The new owners are friendly and helpful. The rooms are comfortable, with mini-fridge and microwave, and above all, clean. The complementary breakfast was good and the whole stay quite pleasant. If I were ever again in that part of Colorado, I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Hey Robert,

Thanx much for the nice review, it is greatly appreciated. Hope you made it back to the City of Brotherly love ok.

Overland Park, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

This place is under new ownership within the past year (December 2012, I think). The new owners have already put a lot into renovating the place. We had a king room with plenty of space, a small microwave and fridge for our 3 night stay. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanx so much for your nice review. Hope you can come back and visit Salida again sometime.

Leawood, KS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

This is an older motel. Not affiliated with a national chain; locally owned.

The room was 2-queen room with sitting area inclining sofa. Walls were nicely painted. Safety Flip-type door lock was broken. Bathroom door dragged on floor when open 90 degrees. Shower mat Rowell had several holes in it bed was comfortable. Wifi was included and worked well, breakfast was bread products, fruit, and cereal. Cream cheese and butter for bread items were common pot for all users rather than individual packages. No senior rate in summer. I thought price was high for what was provided, but time was summer, and it is tourist season.

• Stayed August 2013
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
John,

Thanx for the review, but I am wondering what you mean by basic hotel. Lets see, the room is over 340 sq. ft., has New Furniture, New Flat Screen TV, Two Queen Beds and a Sofa Sleeper, a Refrigerator and a Microwave, and as you say, "good Wifi reception".

I am sorry you found holes in the floor mat, but I am even sorrier you didn't call and tell us about it so we could bring you a new one.
As for the broken safety latch on the door, I guess you aren't aware of the latest information about How Unsafe they are, How easy they are to break into, and How they can accidentally get latched when the door is closed leaving kids who are too short to reach it, locked inside the room until maintenance can be called to break the latch. I'm sure you noticed the much safer Dead Bolt Lock on the door.

As for the butter and cream cheese not being in Individual packages, once again, I prefer to err on the side of safety. We use to use Individually wrapped condiments and then one day I noticed that there is no "Don't Use After" date on those small packages. I think my quests are much safer taking a new clean knife and using it to scoop out butter from a clearly marked larger container. Same reason I prefer to leave milk and Juice in the containers they came from the store in, rather than dumping them into unmarked dispensers.

As for the price, well you are partially right, it is summer and prices are higher in this season, but I am sure you checked other prices before booking here.

Thanx again,
Elkins, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is a somewhat older motel that is privately and locally owned. The rooms are clean and come with large flat-screen TV, free wi-fi, and jacuzzi. Bed was comfortable and the AC kept the rather large room at a comfortable temperature on a hot day. There is a nice outdoor swimming pool and spa for guest use .The owner-manager was very friendly and bent over backwards to make sure my family and I had everything we needed. This is a very good value at a modest price.

Room Tip: The separate rooms along the creek at the back of the property are great for a larger family group.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Jim

Thanx for the nice review, always appreciated.

Woking, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed here for 1 night in a mini-suite. There were 2 queen beds plus a sofa. There was an LCD tv, fridge, microwave and coffee maker. I only used the coffee maker which was very welcome. The bed I slept in was exceptionally firm which worked well for me. The coverings were all very modern and new looking. The room was very quiet.
There was breakfast in the Lobby – cereal, toast, bagel, yogurt – nothing fancy but I was happy enough with it.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mumontour08
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Hiya Mum,

I understand that is the way one says hello in GB. Hope it isn't too informal. Any who, thanks for the nice review. I have heard it said that the second one thinks they have perfected something, is immediately followed by the second they begin looking to improve upon it. Here at Salida Inn, we won't ever reach that perfect condition because we are always looking for ways to improve it.

Thanx again,

Bella Vista, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

While it appears that Mike is in the middle up upgrading the facility, our stay there was good. The building looks a little shabby on the outside, but our room had been redone and it appears that the owners are continuing to make improvements. The room was large and very clean. The bed was comfortable and there was a microwave and fridge. It seemed like the room was designed to have a table and chairs, but ours were missing. The breakfast offerings were very adequate. We didn't have a chance to use the pool or hot tub. This was a good location for everything we wanted to do in the Salida area and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Hey DigDig,
Thanx for the nice review, it is greatly appreciated. Sorry about the lack of table and chair in your room. A previous guest just prior to your visit thought the desk was the perfect place to keep the dog he didn't tell us about while he went out. He turned the table up side down, wrapped one of our new sheets around all four of the legs and placed the chair on top of the four legs to keep the sheet in place. We only discovered this when we heard the poor animal whimpering and went into the room to check. After we took the animal down to the owners quarters to calm its poor nerves, we all had a good laugh and admired the guests ingenuity, but, had to get rid of the table and the chair.
I hope you'll visit with us again, we will make sure you have a room with a table and chair.
Mike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salida
Amigo Motor Lodge
Monarch Mountain Lodge
Monarch Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Monarch
Baymont Inn & Suites Salida

Been to Salida Inn & Monarch Suites? Share your experiences!