“Okay, but probably won't stay here again”

Salida Inn & Monarch Suites
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Reviewed 22 January 2014

For the price, this was a decent place to stay. However, the cleanliness left something to be desired. Grunge behind the sink faucet nearly made me gag while looking down, brushing my teeth. The shower could have stood a good cleaning with a mold/mildew cleaner in the corners. As to the decor, it was like stepping back into the 80's. The drapes were hanging haphazardly and the bed was sitting on the floor (literally, the box springs were on the floor with the mattress on top).

I chose this hotel primarily due to the good reviews on Tripadvisor, but I think next time I'll spring for the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Rebecca,

I am a little shocked and AMAZED by your observations. The grunge behind the sink faucet for example happens to be Caulk that is used to keep water from running under it and it is white caulk on a white sink, so, that one confuses me.
The mold mildew in the corners of the shower (actually it's a Jacuzzi Tub) is actually a nick in the fiberglass of the tub itself. We touch it up, a guest or two later it's back. We touch it up again, and it comes back again.
On the subject of drapes. You were advised when you checked in that we are having new draperies made, they were delayed and we hung the old drapes back up..
Finally, the most amazing observation about the box spring on the floor. Recognizing as you do, decor from the 80's, you didn't know that this bed is a Platform Bed. THERE IS NO BOX SPRING.
The bed is designed that way. The mattress sits on the PLATFORM. :)
Like I tell every single guest who has ever stayed here. If you have any problems, or need anything at all, please let us know. You were here for 3 days. You said nothing to me about any problems or concerns. Had you said anything at all about anything, I would have gladly changed your room, but if you don't tell me what the problem is, I can't do anything about it.
Most guests love that room and more important, guests who know what a platform bed is, rave about it. I am sorry that you don't feel like you will stay here again. That really saddens me if only because you'll never get to see what true hospitality is like. You see, true hospitality is a two way communication between you the guest and me the hotelier. It is me, trying too fill your needs, but I can't do that if I don't know what those need are. You think you will be happier at the HI Express. Try getting personal attention there.

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel and enjoyed it quite a bit. We stayed in the two queen suite w/ jacuzzi. Hotel staff was amazing to work with and super helpful. Easy to find location, right off of highway 50. During the cold nights after a hard run on Monarch we were able to enjoy their hot tub and great outdoor views. Definitely look forward to staying here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Micah,
Thanx for the nice review. Staff and I love making our guests stay pleasant and appreciate it greatly when nice people notice.
Hope to accommodate you again sometime.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I hope putting a review online doesn't mean this place will be booked any time I want to return! The rooms were very nice, especially for the price. The owner was always available - I mean, really, when does this guy sleep? When our suite had a plumbing issue, he gave us another room to sleep in and charged us nothing for that night. The problem was fixed the next afternoon when we returned from skiing. The outdoor hot tub was an extra amenity that we enjoyed, along with the large towels and robes provided by the hotel.
We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Amy G,

Thanx so much for your very nice review. Staff and I really appreciate it. Like our motto says, Creating new friends, one guest at a time, I would have given your family the owners quarters if I didn't have another room for you. It turns out, a guest before you apparently put something made out of styrofoam down the toilet because about 100 feet from the room. the styrofoam apparently mixed with the sewer gases and created a hard plastic mass which we were finally able to clear.
Sorry you had to be inconvenienced at all and I look forward to having you and your great family back again, Maybe next time your kids will let me sit in on a game of Uno too.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The rooms were okay, a bit dirty, although I could tell the staff worked hard. They were Croatian, and Croatia is my favorite country, so they talked to me on how it was like, I also learned some new words, such as "Bok" which means Hello and goodbye.

Good place, although A bit rundown, if tired, I would stay there. We got our car towed from a city called Victor, which is an interesting small town. Shower was hot, and we had a nice stay, accept for the smoke and the somewhat dirty cafeteria.
OK.

Room Tip: Go to the second floor, non-smoking.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Tigeer, Bok

I wish you had told me about the dirty room 4 months ago when you were here. I could have had another talk with those "hard Working Croatians" as you put it who just happen to be the same girls who cleaned your room. But, heck you did learn a new Croatian word or two. I am especially surprised by your comment about "a bit run down". With New siding, all new exterior paint, freshly painted rooms, new furniture, new flat screen TV, gee, I wonder what we missed.

Anyway, Bok,

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Newly renovated rooms. Clean. Easy to find, right on the main street in Salida. Great package deal with Monarch lift tickets. Also near the Mt Princeton Hot Springs. Staff was very nice and accomadative.

Room Tip: Room 205 is the best!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Matt,

Thanx for the nice review. Come back and see us some time.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

The new management treated me so very nice and went the extra mile to make sure all my needs were met. They are just great people and have done a great job remodeling the rooms. The hot tub was really nice after the long days. Overall, the Salida Inn made my stay in Salida, CO most pleasant and enjoyable. The rates were very competitive and comparable. I definitely recommend the Salida Inn and Monarch Suites

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Mike E, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Hey Reverend Jerry,

Thanx so very much for the nice review. It was a pleasure having you as a guest. I hope you don't mind me adding the reverend into my reply, but is was such a pleasure talking with you.

Come back and see us some time.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I just spent 2 nights up in Salida and was very impressed by this little hotel! the staff was very friendly and welcoming and our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. We requested the king suite and when we arrived in the room, there was no stopper for the tub. One call to the desk and one was delivered to us. We will definitely stay here again! keep up the great work on your renovations

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanx Folks, for the very nice review. We are trying hard to get this remodeling done, done, done.
We are waiting on new carpeting as I write this and then we will have some big surprises for our guests not to long after that. I won't let the cat out of the bag, but hopefully if you come by this way again, you'll be delighted.

Mike

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salida
1 mi away
#1 of 3 in Buena Vista
Super 8 Salida
Super 8 Salida
#3 of 16 in Salida

Been to Salida Inn & Monarch Suites? Share your experiences!