“Good location and hotel”

Salida Inn & Monarch Suites
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family and I had two rooms here. We had the deluxe queen cottage as well as a king room. The rooms were fine, skimpy on towels and shampoo but the owners are happy to give you more.They are very adamant about not getting makeup on the towels and tell you how much they spend on new towels; I understand their dilemma but can't figure out how some bleach or oxiclean can't get it out. The breakfast was ok, nothing special. Very nice people and rooms were clean.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
SalidaInn, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Hi Mele818
Thanx for the nice review of Salida Inn and thanx for mentioning the makeup on towels problem.
Believe me when I tell you that foundation and makeup are nearly impossible to remove not to mention the folks who use our bath towels to wipe off their motor vehicles, skis, ski boots, shoes etc. Simply washing and adding bleach does nothing except help the stain to set in. We have tried every detergent known to man kind, plus Shout, Zout, Oxyclean, you name it, we tried it. We currently can remove the stains from about 50% of the linens that come in that way by soaking in oxyclean & Bleach for several days before spraying with zout, hand scrubbing and then washing, but realistically, I shouldn't have to be paying my laundry staff for an extra 20 - 30 hours a week to do all that hand scrubbing. Before I began getting down on one knee and begging my guests to ask for old clean towels for their cars, boots shoes etc, we were averaging $500 - $700/MO. in ruined bath linens. As for being skimpy on towels, like you said we will give more, but many of our rooms are rated for A STD OF 2 - x number of people. We stock the rooms for the STD occupancy and give more when there are more than the STD Number in the room.
So, thanx again for the nice review.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Very nice older motel, friendly folks, great beds and décor, best wifi! The only thing I could complain about is the pool was a little too warm, but it was great anyway! Lots to see and do in this area, breakfast was good, and like I said, the wifi was the fastest we found on our whole trip. Plenty of good places to eat, lots of nice shops, the river, the park. We stayed 2 nights with 2 teenagers but may return just the 2 of us sometime.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are great, ours was. We had #190.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
SalidaInn, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hi numzi
Thanx for you nice comments about Salida Inn. We always appreciate when guests notice our hard work. Sorry if the pool was a little warm. We actually have the water Temp set on 85 degrees, but sometime if it is especially sunny, the sun will increase the temp a little. One of the things we spent extra money on was a fast WiFi system and had the whole system designed, upgraded and installed throughout the entire property last summer.
Thanx for pointing it out.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Check in was easy. Room was spacious and clean although it is an older building. But it seems updates are being made. Bed fairly comfortable. One improvement I could see being made would be to somehow brighten the bathroom/shower area. Enjoyed the hot tub and heated pool. Grounds were very clean and it was very quiet. Very close to downtown area by vehicle. Yes I would stay here again. Would be very family friendly as well.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Misty G

Hi Mistydawn

Thanx for the nice review of Salida Inn especially for including the comment about our clean and spacious rooms. Staff work hard to keep everything clean and comfortable. Thanx also for the suggestion of more light in the shower areas, we do in fact have that up near the top of out list of things to improve.
Will look forward to having you as our guest if you should travel this way again
Thanx, Mike

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My family has a house in the Salida area that we have been remodeling since December. I have spent many nights with my wife and two kids in Salida during this time. During our second trip, we booked at the Salida Inn and have been frequent visitors ever since. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are newly remodeled, clean and comfortable. Finding a place that is so agreeable AND a good deal is an added bonus. Oh, and they're pet friendly, which you can't tell by staying in the rooms. I highly recommend the Salida Inn.

Room Tip: There are multiple room types, so be sure to browse all the options. We can often get a larger room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott S

Hi Scott
Thanx for that really nice review. Staff here at Salida Inn love when guests notice our hard work. Thanx especially for mentioning that you can't tell that our pet friendly rooms are pet friendly. We work diligently to keep all of our rooms as clean and sanitary as humanly possible. I have stayed in a lot of pet friendly hotels in the last year or so that the minute you walk in the door, you know that the room is pet friendly. You and your family are always a pleasure to have as our guests. I think we are actually going to miss you once your house is done :)
Have a great day,
thanx again,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed at this motel for a night on our way up to northern Colorado. It's an older place, but they have done some recent renovations, and did a nice job of it. Our room was nice and clean, and the bed was comfortable. The man working the front desk was really nice. We arrived really late, and it was nice to be welcomed by such as friendly guy. The room rate was very reasonable, especially compared to other places in town. Plus free WiFi, which is always a positive in my book! We would stay here again if going through Salida and needed a place for the night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Happy travel girl
Thanx for the nice review, always appreciated. We at Salida Inn are happy when our guests are pleased with their accommodations.
Thanx again,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I'm not sure why this is one of the top rated motels in Salida. Its an older place and they are clearly trying to renovate, which is great. Check in/out folks at the front desk were very kind. Room had a nice mini-fridge, microwave and coffee bar, which clearly was pretty new. Bed was comfortable and sheets felt very clean. But, they will charge you if you use their towels and washcloths for anything other than your cleaning your body. Two of our towels were stained and it made me nervous we would get charged even though they were given to us that way. They give you one thin makeup remover wipe which does not do the job. I almost felt like I should have brought all my own linens, just to be safe. Maybe they have a horrible problem with folks using their linens for the wrong things and have to be super strict, but I have never felt so guilty for using a washcloth to take a shower before. The shower got nice and hot, but the tub did not drain well, so each of us were up to our ankles in dirty shower water but the end of our turn. The picture in the room had cracked glass, and the door to the room did not have a dead bolt. There was just a regular locking door knob - hole was in the door where the deadbolt used to be though. When the neighbors took showers at 11pm the screeching sound in our room was so loud, we had to turn up the a/c fan to try and drown out the noise. We ultimately all got a good nights sleep and a hot shower, but they place still needs a ton of work.

1  Thank lmg28
SalidaInn, Owner at Salida Inn & Monarch Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Img28
Thanx for the nice review of our rooms, the continuos hot water, the appliances, the bedding, the clean bed linens, and our friendly staff, etc. Oh, and you answered your own question. The reasons you mentioned above and our great pricing are the reasons we are so highly rated. You, however have a BUT thrown in and go on to say "They will charge you if you use their towels on anything but your body. MY QUESTION is Would you use your own towels at home on anything but your body? NO - You Say. Then why use our bath towels on anything but your body? If you had a friend come and stay at your house for the night and the next mourning you found she had used your bath towel to remove her make up or he was outside wiping down his car with the bath towel you loaned him to use, do you think you or your wife would be upset? I definitely want to thank you for bringing up the towels. YES, we have a major problem with some guests using our towels, hand towels, and wash cloths to remove makeup, foundation, wipe their motor vehicles, their boots, their animals, you name it. It is nothing for me to walk out early in the a.m. and find guests wiping down their cars and motor cycles with our bath towels. I doubt very much that people would use their own bath linens to wipe down their cars or foundation and makeup and yet many come here and think nothing of it. And that is only the towels we actually get back. We probably have 20 bath towels a month grow legs and walk off. We loose between $500 and $700.00/month in bath linens for that reason. WE TRIED BEING NICEY NICE and BEGGING PEOPLE AT CHECKIN, WE OFFER CLEAN OLDER LINENS, and still we find towels covered in car grease, blood, makeup, and that is some of the things I can mention. We have tried every spotter, every detergent known to man kind. We have tried Hot water, cold water, sanitize, nothing takes out all foundation. We can sometimes get the car grease off, but the little tears and pills from the towel getting caught on metal we can't repair. You say the towels where stained when you got them. No offense, but that is the one thing you wrote that I find hard to believe. Knowing we have a problem with some guests, we take every precaution we can with all of our linens to make sure we provide ultra clean to our guests. Now I am Sorry about the drains, and wish the guest before you had said something, we could have corrected the problem long before you checked in, but we obviously can't fix what we don't know about. I can't tell what room you were in, but I checked every room after I read your review and found no clogged drains and no one else has complained.
Oh, and thanks for mentioning the makeup removers.. Since I don't use them myself, I had no way of knowing they weren't working. I ordered new and different removers to day. Who knows, maybe that is the reason some of our guests found it necessary to use both hand towels and both bath towels, a pillow case and a $90.00 heavy GSM top sheet to remove a days worth of makeup.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed in five different hotels on this trip. This was the only one not part of a national chain.
The rooms were newly remodeled and excellent. The pool and hot tub were the cleanest of our trip. The breakfast delivered and the front desk staff was outstanding!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 309familyman

Hi FamilyMan
Thanx for that really nice review of Salida Inn. I am glad you found high value here, That was and continues to be our goal. I'll tell the front desk staff about your compliment.
Thanx again,

Mike

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salida
1 mi away
#1 of 1 in Monarch
Mountain Motel
Mountain Motel
#7 of 16 in Salida

Been to Salida Inn & Monarch Suites? Share your experiences!