“Good value for the money. .”

Gateway Inn & Suites Salida
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Great value for the money

Had a small problem and they quickly resolved it. Would stay here again when in the area

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Quilt4us
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

We are glad we were able to resolve the problem. Here at the Gateway we take great pride in our customer service. Looking forward to seeing you again,
Tina
Public Relations Manager

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was with the 4-room party that stayed in June (one of our party posted the review on July 1, 2012 which is headlined "the WORST customer service of my lifetime'". She referenced the faucet problem which was in my room, so I'd like to weigh in on the review. Let me start with the "good" -- I found my room was very clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced; and the motel location is ok. Now the "bad" -- and it all comes down to customer service. The problem with the faucet was that you could turn it on -- but you could not turn it off. When you turned the faucet on, the head of the faucet separated from the base. In order to turn the faucet off, you had to realign and reposition the loose parts that had separated, and then precisely fit them back into the base. (Frankly, I could not do it -- my husband had to do the maneuvers to turn it off each time.) When we checked into the motel late on Thursday night, the first thing I did was use the faucet to wash my hands. So we discovered the faucet problem immediately, and called the desk right away. After checking with the "engineer" the desk representative told us that the problem could not be fixed that night but would be fixed the next morning. The next morning, we used the requisite faucet realignment maneuvers in order to use the sink -- as we left the motel for the day, we reminded the front desk that the faucet needed to be fixed. (I had to search for the front desk clerk to give her this reminder. There was no-one at the desk and, although the "ring bell" sign was there, there was no bell. I finally found someone in the laundry room who took me to the breakfast room and pointed out the front desk clerk. When I told the clerk I wanted to report a problem, she said she would meet me at the front desk. Breakfast was over at this point, but she seemed to be quite busy doing something with a loaf of bread. She took her time, straightening chairs at the tables, as she returned to the front desk to talk to me.) After reminding her of the faucet problem, we left the motel. We returned at mid-afternoon and asked at the front desk if the faucet had been fixed -- we were assured it had been. Off we went to the room --but, lo and behold, when we used the faucet, it still had the same problem. I immediately returned to the front desk and said that the faucet still had the same problem -- the clerk said to me (exact quote): "My husband fixed it. As you calling him a liar?" Good grief. I told her all I was saying is that the faucet was still in the exact broken condition as it had been since we checked in the prior night. She said her husband would come back to the room to look at the faucet again. When he arrived, he said to my husband (again, exact quote): "what are you doing to this faucet?" (The answer was "trying to use it.") This time (we were there to see it), he had a new piece of equipment (I think it was a valve) which he replaced in the faucet; he also found a loose screw which he tightened. After that, at last, the faucet worked. I had stayed in this motel two years previously and it was a good experience -- that's why I had highly recommended it to the other three room occupants in my party. In fact, the others were planning to stay at other Salida hotels (Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn) -- but I talked them into staying at the Gateway. I was so taken aback by the "attitude" problem of the Gateway representatives -- it seemed to imply the customer must be wrong. (The front desk clerk the night we checked in, and the person I found in the laundry room, were terrific. However, those at the desk the next day (and the husband/engineer) could use some customer service re-training. It is a real shame to have a good facility pulled down by an attitude problem such as we encountered. Fortunately for visitors there are other viable options in Salida.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank LambeRockvilleMD
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We had our family reunion here and the rooms were very nice, beds were great. Lobby and breakfast area very nice also. The only thing that disappointed me was the fact that I made the reservatons months ahead of time and requested rooms together on the lower level, that did not happen. But overall I would stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jillywilly17
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Being very picky about hotel choices, this was a spur of the moment trip that we quickly put together & availability was limited. My husband made this reservation after reviewing the reviews on trip advisory. I remained skeptical bring along a can of Glade spray. Much to my surprise...our room was very, very clean, updated & no smoke residue smell. Will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Stuckinthemud1
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The rooms are very clean and the hotel held a nice atmosphere. The service was excellent and the owners are really nice. The breakfasts are delicious with the wide selection of food. The staff helped advise our trip as they recommended local attractions.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate S
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Well lets see...uhh...toilet over flows, power goes out, alarm clock did not work..making us late to an event that was planned and paid for, air conditioner went out..supposedly maintenance came and fixed it but did not...was hot in room when we got back after a hot day in the sun...changed rooms. Tv in room was so old we could not hook up a dvd player or video game for kiddo, internet connection was mostly not available..could not check banks or emails let alone have contact outside of the area of Salida Colorado, and then the second room??? Yeah you got it! The air conditioner didnt work there either. Some lady with a foreign accent came to check it out and said it was cool good thing for us this vacaton. That would have been great two days ago, but being the fourth of july every where was booked when I made THIS reservation (of about $365 for 4 nights) and barely got this place. So after all this...THANKS GATEWAY INN & SUITES FOR RUINING OUR VACATION!

Room Tip: Dont rent from Gateway Inn and Suites
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank debi s
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

From the moment you stepped into our motel room EVERYTHING was unsatisfactory.
There was an average of 3-5 complaints every day, one the moment NEW Shift would come in.
We upgraded/changed rooms to make you more comfortable.
No matter what we did-nothing would make you happy.
Since we could not live up to you standards and expectations we offered you FULL REFUND, so you may find other hotel that would meet your standards. We offered to assist in finding one.
YOU REFUSED! stated that you stayed with us before and would like to continue your stay here.
If your were so absolutely miserable, WHY did you stayed for 4 nights & refused to leave.
Instead wrote this hateful review ?
Elizabeth Kudasik

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We had 4 rooms reserved. Faucet didn't shut off in one room--it was supposed to be fixed by afternoon, went back to use it and it was still not working---went to tell them and they accused us of calling them liars, then the husband/owner came to fix again, and asked us what we were doing to his faucet...our response was we were using it.
The sheets on the beds were basically "laid" upon the mattress--it did not fold over the top and go under, so when you moved in bed, you eventually were sleeping directly on the yucky mattress--that had no mattress pad!
If you wanted to iron clothes, you had to go to an "ironing room" that had a small fold down iron, which needed water, and there was no water in that room, so you had to go back to your room to get the water!
The "spa" tub was disgusting, and had a milky water in it the whole time!
The front desk had a sign that said "ring bell for service" with no bell in sight. When we went outside to find someone, they took there time finishing the straightening of chairs before they came over to help us, and then it was with a horrible attitude!
There was not a single person in that family-owned motel that was polite or knew what they were doing.
Tripadvisor had awarded them a 5-1/2 for excellence....I definitely don't trust Tripadvisor any more!

• Stayed: June 2012
8  Thank Chief00
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

We were very happy to host your 5 room Family Reunion.
We offered greatly discounted rates for your event as well as complimentary use of Banquet Room.
We are sorry for the broken faucet-mechanical failures are beyond our control, we promptly & gladly fixed it next day (it was reported late at night).
For your specific and customized personal needs and expectations we suggest that you choose a Full Service Hotel next time that can cater to all your needs.
Elizabeth Kudasik