Gateway Inn & Suites
Salida Inn & Monarch Suites(Salida)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$82
Browns Canyon Inn(Salida)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$88
US$131
Silver Ridge Lodge(Salida)(Great Value!)
US$80
Comfort Inn(Salida)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$93
Mountain Motel(Salida)(Great Value!)
US$99
Super 8 Salida(Salida)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$79
Orbitz.com
US$85
US$83
Official Site
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfront deskhot tubcontinental breakfastwaffleswaffle ironin townstay there againclean roomshard boiled eggsa wonderful staysmall townnice roomwe've stayedmotelcerealmicrowavecolorado
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed here just one night (thankfully) on a ski getaway. We are locals from Denver.

Positives:
1. Helpful and friendly staff
2. Great water pressure - an item I tend to notice as we travel a fair amount
3. Pretty quiet given that it is motel architecture. Our room was on the upper level and furthest at the end so that probably helped - no people stomping past our room. I am pretty sure other rooms are not as quiet or peaceful.
4. The breakfast area is cute and kept nice and clean

Negatives:
1.Bathroom. THERE WAS NO STAND UP SHOWER IN THE ROOM. I am not making this up. We use Tripadvisor religiously to help pick hotels whenever we travel, and that is how we settled on Gateway Inn given its good reviews for the limited choices in Salida. I was surprised to find no shower in the room, just a hand shower attachment in the Jacuzzi tub. I guess they figure for the Honeymoon Suite it's romantic to have one person hold the thing over their partner's head while he/she bathes? I didn't see this significant omission in any of the traveler reviews or on the hotel website, nor did the staff say anything about it. So...surprise. The only saving grace was that the water pressure and temperature regulation were both excellent, unlike many hotels that just seem to be weak compared to our home. However for $160 per night charge it was a disappointment. The price was probably high given we were there during spring break high season week. Another disappointment was that the Jacuzzi was so small. My husband is 6'0" and I am 5'3" and there is no way we could both fit in there together without folding ourselves into human Origami. The "champagne" offered with the room is Andre. No offense to Andre drinkers but come on Gateway Inn & Suites. For what we paid couldn't you at least spring for Freixenet or Korbel at $10-12? Seriously. We did not even open it.

2. Breakfast. Sigh. OK so we knew going into it that it was not exactly going to be a lavish spread, but the hard boiled eggs (thank you for protein, though) were of the green-ring-around-yolk caliber. Pastries ran out pretty quickly and not replenished. Mini bagels were cute and looked fresh, though we did not partake. Waffle iron for making your own waffles was nice, though we don't eat those. Fresh apples, oranges, and bananas were plentiful. Coffee was good given that it was drip-diner style but creamer choices were powdered canister food-service crap or sugary flavored liquid stuff. We ended up just using the 2% milk dispenser to lighten our coffee. For waffle-eaters they provided a nice selection of syrups: maple, strawberry, blueberry and one other one I can't remember. Oatmeal is instant to which you can add hot water and/or the milk and microwave. Additionally they offer 2 generic cereals that looked like Froot Loops and Corn Flakes.

3. Bedding and temp control. The choice was either just the sheet or the heavy comforter, nothing in between. Even with turning down the thermostat in the room (which took a bit of figuring out as there were two controls that did not seem to affect either of the wall units from what we could tell) we were alternately too cold or too hot all night long. It would be good if they provided a light in-between type blanket like other places do especially during shoulder season weather like March. A nitpicky item: the channel listing provided is inaccurate. We had to flip through channels on the TV one by one to see which channel was which.

All in all if we do ever go back to the Salida area we probably would not go to this place again. Not because of the people, who seemed very nice, or the cleanliness which was fine, but because of the above items.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at a far end to minimize traffic going past your door and windows.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Lobby and breakfast room are very fancy with nice wooden furniture. Breakfast room equipped with all the essentials for a good breakfast. Stayed here with my family and the room was very clean and pleasant. There is also a new hot tub that is extremely nice, lights, radio, speakers... Enjoyed that a lot! Employees were very friendly as well. Definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone passing through Salida!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
GatewayInnSalida, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

I'm so happy you had a great stay! We have all enjoyed the new hot tub, and all of us at the desk have a great time showing off all the features it has! Thank you so much for your kind words and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 11 March 2013

My young son, his wife, and young baby just made a trip (850 miles) and passed through Salida. Because of financial constraints they intended to drive straight through.... but by the time they made it near Salida, they were tired, it was getting dark, some bad weather.... me as Grandpa was worried about them driving over the Monarch in the dark and bad weather... while tired.
I found hotel information for Salida... and while most were out of the price range for my kids, the Gateway Inn offered a room that they could afford...... I spoke with Teresa on the phone, she was very kind, and set everything up for them.... the kids said that the stay was pleasant.
I have no way of knowing if they would have made the rest of the journey (4 more hours) with or without problems... but I am very glad that there was a place available that they could afford... and also appreciated the courteous manner in which arrangements were made. Thanks!!!
We travel through there regularly... and it will be on the list for the future as a place to stop and rest for the night.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
GatewayInnSalida, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Thank you for your review. We were happy to help out with your situation. I'm glad to hear that Teresa was so helpful, I'll be sure to pass on the compliment! Looking forward to see you in the future!

Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed the night here and would definetly do it again! The rooms were clean and the hot tub looked amazing.... The front desk ladies held our bags for us the next morning so we could walk to retrieve our car which was downtown... They were very helpful! Thanks ladies

• Stayed: March 2013
GatewayInnSalida, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2013

I'm so glad your stay was great! Thank you for your review, we are happy to help when we can (even if it's just storing luggage for a bit). Hope to see you again,

Reviewed 9 February 2013

We were very impressed how nice this hotel was for the price! I'm so glad we picked this one. It is very nicely decorated,comfortable and with friendly people. And it has a good breakfast included. It as all the amenities we look for.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such nice comments. Here at the Gateway, we try to keep our prices affordable and our rooms clean. I'm happy we earned your approval.
We look forward to seeing you again!