“Exceptionally unpleasant experience!”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Denver, Colorado
“Exceptionally unpleasant experience!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I only write reviews for exceptional stays. This one was exceptionally bad. We arrived late in the evening and this was the only place in Salida that had a vacancy. That should have been a tip off. We checked in and then went to eat. When we returned the room was very hot. We had turned the air conditioner on high before going to eat. In the bathroom the tub was not clean and the commode did not flush well; even paper would not go down. By this time it was too late to go on to another town. If everything had been working properly the room was a fifty-sixty dollar a night room. We paid one hundred forty-six for a very unpleasant night. The air condition never did cool the room. In an attempt to get fresh air we opened the window but had to leave the drapes closed for privacy. This made us nervous about security because we were on the ground floor. It was extremely hot, smelly and uncomfortable in our room so we left the window open even though it was a risky th I like a firm bed but the mattress was rock hard. I never fully dozed off all night between the heat and the hardness of the bed. By 4:00 in the morning I wished we had just left earlier, even if it had been late; after all we weren't able to sleep anyway. We got up and left about 4:30 a.m. When I spoke with the desk clerk about the situation she just shrugged and said there was nothing she could do but that she would report it to the manager. I asked if she would please contact the manager and she said all she could do was leave her number for the manager to call her back which would most likely take awhile. We never did hear from maintenance or the manager. Will not ever make the mistake of staying at Gateway Inn & Suites again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Abby S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We decided rather last-minute to spend the July 4th holiday in Salida, and I was a little worried that our hotel options would be limited and pricey. I was very pleased to find rooms at the Gateway Inn available for only $79.99 on the Fourth of July! The woman who made our reservation over the phone was very friendly and offered to put us in a room furthest away from Rt. 50. We didn't have really high expectations ... thought it would be very standard budget motel (Super 8, Motel 6, etc.) but we thought the room (with 2 Queens) was a nice size and it was quite clean and comfortable. I hadn't even realized that breakfast was included in the price until we got there. It's a small breakfast area and we opted to eat out anyway, but I thought that made the price even more reasonable. The only negative was the shampoo was in hard-to-open packaging not in a bottle, but I'm sure it's just a cost-saving measure and not that big of a deal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
GatewayInnSalida, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites Salida, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! I'm glad you found our prices reasonable, and our rooms clean. We hope to see you again!
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We kept hearing from the front desk how this was a busy weekend, but we did not select it. We needed to be in Salida for a family wedding. At first glance, the rooms were very tidy and newly remodeled. The mattresses were pretty old. Dragging our stuff up the steep stairs was not fun.

But, on our first night, the entire top floor where our room was kept losing power and the breakers had to be reset. .The second time took quite a while. I am on CPAP machine at night and I cannot sleep if the power goes off. Okay, I am bad for not having a battery backup but in six years of traveling with this machine I honestly have never had a problem. We found out from other wedding guests who checked out because of problems that this hotel had electrical problems at least a day before we arrived! For the prices the hotel was getting, they had an obligation to get an electrician in immediately. The front desk asked us to run our AC warmer and that made the night even more stressful because the room was so hot and stuffy. Also stressful was not knowing if a possible short would cause a fire to break out. It was like a circus with kids running around well after 10pm. I brought work to do and the internet was up and down every few minutes. The full breakfast was laughable. We asked to be moved to another room or another hotel, and were told there were lots of fire refugees in the hotel and the closest availability was Canon City. We were told they could not guarantee that the electrical problems would be fixed. At breakfast, the person serving breakfast said there were no refugees in the hotel and I had found hotel availability in Sailda. I called Hampton Inn and for $20 more, we were given a suite for the next night! With our 13 lb dog!

I am not one of those people who is constantly complaining in a hotel, in fact, I have never given a bad review. I have been traveling for at least 40 years and staying in hotels. I am not that intolerant. This was ridiculous customer service! For $136 per night I expected a much better quality experience. The quality of this hotel is like a Motel 6 or Super 8. It was a slap in the face when we could get a room at the Hampton Inn $20 more a night. The quality at the Hampton Inn is so much better that there is no comparison.

Room Tip: Bottom floor didn't have electrical problems. Check with the better chains first or make sure th...
9 Thank moniangel54
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Several events were going on and we paid 145.84 to stay here. Instead of paying a little more for a newer hotel, we stayed here because of the reviews. I think I expected too much and was disappointed. The second floor is accessible by stairs only. The bathtub has no safety features. The breakfast that was bragged on in so many reviews is standard fare and nothing exceptional. We would not stay here again .

• Stayed June 2013
Bixby, Oklahoma
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We booked a family suite for my wife and I and 4 young kids and we experienced friendly service through the booking and checking-in process. The room itself was spacious and we had two per-bed, plus two kids on the fold-out couch. When we arrived the electricity cut out several times that evening and when my wife called the front desk they were very short and borderline rude. Fortunately the electricity did not cut out anymore and the rest of our stay was comfortable. The breakfast area is very small and it was pretty busy but the kids enjoyed the waffles.

1 Thank jimmyandliza
GatewayInnSalida, Public Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites Salida, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for submitting a review. I sincerely apologize for the front desk agent, and can assure you steps have been taken to make sure that does not happen again. I'm glad the rest of your stay was pleasant. We have corrected the issue with the electricity.
I'm happy to hear breakfast was good as well (the waffles are my favorite!). Hope to see you again,
Indiana
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed here for one night as a stop over to our final destination. We had 6 people and stayed in a large suite. Everything was clean, lots of towels and fresh linens. We had everything we needed in the kitchen and the free breakfast was great ! Everyone there was just so very friendly which I just love !

1 Thank Countyline42
GatewayInnSalida, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites Salida, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you such a great review! The suite you had is one of my favorite rooms here. That room is perfect for large families or longer stays. I'll definitely pass the word to our housekeepers that the room was up to our guests standards.
Looking forward to seeing you again,
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My entire trip with this hotel from start to finish was a wonderful experience. Starting with my phone call with Christina was great; she answered all of my questions and was an amazing person to speak with on the phone she helped me find the right room and got me the best price. Aaah then the room, the bed was comfy, the shower was spectacular, and the air conditioning worked so well I did not even want to leave! Then the lady that I checked out with Elizabeth I want to say her name was asked me how my visit was and if I would ever come back and my answer is OF COURSE AND ALWAYS!!! Thank you ladies I hope you get to read this!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
GatewayInnSalida, Front Office Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites Salida, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
WOW! Thanks for the awesome review! We look forward to your next visit!
Theresa