“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Mountains, Colorado
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

I just went to do a tour of this facility and was impressed on so many different levels! Spotless rooms, spacious rooms, and lovely interiors! Don't let the highway deceive you...you walk out these doors and look at the lovely Methodist Mountain before your very eyes! On top of it....Elizabeth, the owner is absolutely gracious and kind!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

On a recent trip with my family we were turned off by some nearby cabins to stay in, and we were fortunate enough to find a hotel to stay in at such late notice. Our phone call was nice and were quoted rates of $89 per night...cheaper than the nearby chains--so far so good, right? The next day we decided to continue our stay for the remaining 3 nights....something that we confirmed with the manager, Elizabeth. Later that evening we get a call asking when we were going to check out...reminding the staff that we had spoken to the manager and reserved the room until Sunday morning. From that evening on, we continuously got calls, were asked when we were outside of our rooms when we were going to check out. We literally stepped one foot into the lobby area and the clerk asked very abruptly if we were checking out. It seemed as if they were trying their hardest to get us to leave....and just wait, it gets better.
On our second morning there we were awoken by a non English speaking man asking us if we needed anything....nice thought but who wakes paying customers up that early to see if they need something...if we needed something, we would've asked. We realized later this was just a way out of cleaning our rooms. After running around in Salida most of the afternoon, we returned later that afternoon only to find that the rooms hadn't been cleaned and we didn't have any towels replaced. We called the front desk and they told us they'd have someone down to clean it...and they did. The only thing was the beds were made and the trash from the room was left outside our room until the next morning. Thankfully the next morning was our last day there and I called the front desk to ask why the trash was left out and it was explained that the housekeeping dept NEVER does such a thing, but would be taken care of....a minute after the phone call, our air conditioner "stopped working" and the toilet clogged up. (coincidence?) After another call to the front desk to ask about the air, we were told that the air conditioning is turned off every morning because they can't leave it running all day. Seems strange to me in 80 degree heat that a hotel would turn the AC off to yet another paying customer. During the phone call they kindly turned the air back on and sent someone down to give US the plunger for the toilet. When they brought the plunger they accused my mother of leaving the trash outside the door....why apologize for it in one call and then turn around and blame us the next?? Upon checking out I went and spoke with the unfriendly unprofessional looking staff member that smelled of cigarretes and was quite proud of her tattoo coming out of her shirt....classy huh? In running a "reputable" establishment wouldn't you want your staff to look the part and be there for the customer? On with the checking out process....they tried to charge us for 5 nights instead of 3, changed the rate from $89 to $129 because of the weekend rate...which was never told to us. I told the front desk clerk (wish I could remember her name....I'm sure you know who you are...) all of the problems that we had from day one with them and I didn't really see how hard it was to stay in a hotel.....the process is fairly easy, we pay money, you provide a service--not hard. She leaned over the counter, yelled at me and my mother (in front of another paying customer) and told us that we were the type of people that deserved to have their type of service....if that's not admitting fault, I don't know what is. She clearly had no experience with the public and didn't know how to handle a complaint. It's hilarious to me that we were told that you were the "nicest and the cleanest" hotel in Salida....we must have a differene in opinion when you say the nicest. I've never been treated the way we were for those days there....and for that reason we will not be back to stay in your hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank cjjagger
, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites Salida, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
We do remember those prefabricated accusations for a long time!
We were blamed for lack of decision and organization in your group - which created chaos!
Your family had reservations for 1 night for couple of rooms and decided to stay longer, dividing your party between hotel and campground.
You were informed about higher rate on the weekend and limited availability.
Your campground party would come in and take showers in our rooms!
Your campground party would come in and eat our continental breakfast!
Room #310 kept staying past check-out time every day without informing the office.
When tracked down and asked, they would get offended and frustrated with us.
Older member of the family left in room#310 would get very confused because she had no idea what the rest of the group was doing? How inconsiderate and unthoughtful !
Please do not blame us for your planning errors?
Elizabeth Kudasik
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

We have recently chose Salida Gateway Inn & Suites as headquarters for our Family's Event. We would like to THANK the Owners and Staff for being very helpful and attantive to all our requests and needs, thank you for exceptionally clean and comfortable rooms, and thank you for letting us use you great meeting room. Your caring approach made our event a Success !

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

After reading trip advisor I booked a room for one night on our way to Durango from Denver. I wanted to break up the drive and enjoy the scenery. The Gateway was a very comfortable, no frills hotel. If you are looking for a five star pillow top bed place this is not for you. If you want a very clean comfortable room then this is the place for you. I get tired of reading reviews where people are critical about little petty things. As my mother use to say "Some people can't be pleased for being to busy being displeased." I would definitely stay here again. There were 3 of us on the trip and we all agreed, my husband, my 23 year old son and myself. Thank you Gateway Inn for a clean comfortable room and a nice breakfast.

• Stayed July 2010
Stockport, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

We are cycling the Great Divide from Canada to Mexico, and appreciate our nights in motels as quite often we have no other option but camping. This was the most expensive hotel so far on our trip, even more expensive than Breckenridge. The line to check in was extremely slow, with only one person on the desk on a busy Friday. The room we were given was supposed to be non-smoking but smelled of cigarette smoke. Experiencing a problem with the detergent machine in the guest laundry meant another 15-20 minute wait in the line to have it resolved, after which we decided to do laundry later. However, when we returned to the laundry, our laundry bag had disappeared. My partner asked what looked to be a member of staff if he had seen it, as we saw him enter the laundry room just after we had left. His response was "[--] off"". When we complained about this to the front desk, they said that this person was in fact a part owner, and didn't speak English very well. They said he thought we had been accusing him of stealing it, which was not the case. If it had not been for the fact that all other motels in Salida were fully booked, we would have moved out there and then. This is no way to treat customers! I come from the UK and thought I have seen some pretty bad customer service but this place takes the top award in how to upset customers!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank SusiStockport_UK
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

My husband and I wondered to this hotel around midnight. We were welcomed by very friendly staff, we were very pleasured to greeted nicely so late at night. In the room everything was clean, fresh, and spacious. All staff are very polite.You can tell this hotel has good management. It is a family owned hotel , and it makes us happy to support this kind of business vs. chain hotel. Lobby and rooms are very nicely decorated, with very individual touches. The breakfast area is very clean, and everything is fresh and delicious. The whole property is kept up well and clean!!! Would recommend to all my friends and family. I'm looking forward to my next sat at Gateway Inn & Suites in Salida.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
GatewayInnSalida, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites Salida, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
We appreciate your feedback from your recent stay. Thank you for noticing our Ffamily's effort to provide excellent accomodations (or better) without franchise affiliation. We take pride in our establisment and are here every day to make sure everything is prepared for your relaxation. We are looking forward to having you as a Guest at Gateway Inn & Suites soon.
Elizabeth Kudasik - Guest Relations
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

I can't begin to describe how pleased I was at this property. I stay in hotels 2 - 4 times a week and the staff here impressed me a lot. The general manager, the front desk staff and the housekeeping staff, all went above and beyond to accomodate me. In the room everything was clean, fresh, and spacious. I dealt with three different employees there and they were very happy and polite. You can tell this hotel has good management. Oh I almost forgot...the breakfast was simply delicious, everything was on the right place as it should.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo