“Magical! Best Family Vacation Ever!”
Review of Lost Valley Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedalia
Lost Valley Ranch
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sedalia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you are looking for a vacation for the whole family, this place is magical! My kids are 6, 8 and 10, and they describe Lost Valley Ranch as "the greatest place on earth!" I went as a teen with my family, and had the same opinion! Excellent lodgings and food. Beautiful scenery. Great hiking and fishing. Weather was perfect. And they really let you ride the horses. You are not just walking the horses on the trails (unless that's all you want to do). They teach you to trot and lope, and then take you on awesome rides all over the ranch, up and down the mountains and through the streams. Amazing! The other guests there were great and everyone in my family made friendships that will last beyond just the week we were there. And the best thing about the place is the staff. They were amazingly friendly and genuinely wanted to see that we had a great vacation. I can't imagine a better place to take your family! We will return to Lost Valley Ranch many, many times!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rick H
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Lost Valley Ranch on Trip Advisor. We are grateful to hear that your family had such an amazing time this summer and are planning to return in the future. It's great to hear that the combination of accommodations, food, riding, recreational facilities and staff made for a memorable week for your family. The relationships created with both guests and our staff are priceless. We look forward to seeing you across our cattle guard again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and i took our four kids, spouses and 12 grandchildren to Lost Valley to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. The kids ranged from 19 down to 4 years. Lost Valley was amazing because everyone had something interesting and fun to do all day long if they wanted. There was great oversight at all times, safety was first and foremost, and, of course, fun was at the top of the list.
The accommodations were charming cabins with every imaginable amenity. The food was over the top with almost anything available (including fresh-baked cookies in the lobby at all times). The dining room is lovely, very warm and welcoming, and we all loved seeing our personal brands burned into the ceiling.
Riding was the focus of our stay which was enjoyed by all. Every ride was a mini-lesson with the knowledgeable wranglers right there to help/instruct.
However, all the above mentioned features pale in comparison to the atmosphere and obvious philosophy of Lost Valley. There is an underlying feeling of kindness apparent in every staff member. They are all there to help see that each guest has the best experience possible. No one is left out. WE were all welcomed and cared for the entire week. We'll be back! The kids are counting down to next year.

3  Thank DebClono
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We sincerely appreciate your choosing to celebrate your 50th anniversary with a vacation at Lost Valley Ranch. It was our pleasure to host all of your family for such a special occasion. We are happy to hear that you found the riding, accommodations, food and staff to your liking and we are excited for your return in 2015. We are grateful that we got to know your family over that week. Thank you for allowing us that privilege and opportunity. Oooo-aaaah!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We arrived at Lost Valley with no clue of what to expect as it was the idea of my parents for their anniversary. Everything at the ranch was first class; the food, the rides, the views, the horses, the staff, and the programs. However, the most important and unexpected benefit was the opportunity to spend the week with my family without the trappings of technology and concrete. It was a time of great togetherness and reflection for my family. All three of my kids of varying ages, including my daughter who declared her dislike of horses before the trip, say they will one day work at Lost Valley and spend their days riding through the peaceful landscape. The beauty of the views is breathtaking. If you are looking for a place to rest (and go really fast on a horse if you so desire), Lost Valley is for you. Our family is grateful for the time spent at Lost Valley, which will be the subject of many conversations for years to come as time passes and our children think back on those special moments of their childhood.

3  Thank thehazer
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

We greatly appreciate your family choosing to spend such a special occasion at Lost Valley Ranch this summer. It was our pleasure to have your family here and provide you with an opportunity to connect with one another and the landscape around the ranch. It is humbling to hear that your children are thinking of working at the ranch one day. We do hope to have your family back across our cattle guard in the near future. Oooo-aaaah! from your Lost Valley Ranch family.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We recently took our first trip to Lost Valley Ranch. It is amazing and beautiful! We took our 8 and 10 year old daughters and it was really our first vacation. We've been on other "vacations" to the beach and other places, but those are just doing the same hard work as a mom and dad but in a different location. Lost Valley Ranch was so relaxing and they took care of everything! The views are incredible everywhere you turn. And it is 100 times more beautiful than any picture I saw before going. Lost Valley Ranch staff makes you feel like family and like you've been there all summer! And they make you feel like horse experts even if you've never ridden a horse in your life!

We got to the ranch and got settled so we could go enjoy the rodeo that is put on by the amazing staff. It was so fun and the kids had a great time laughing at the funny things the staff does during the rodeo. We also got matched up with a horse for the week. I know everyone has their horse suggestion- I would definitely suggest Bones. He was great at everything we did. We ate an amazing dinner. There is so much food at every meal. There is never a time we left hungry. Our kids are pretty picky, so there were a few times I requested something different on the spot and the kitchen staff happily obliged. I also got our girls fresh fruit at every meal to balance out the yummy desserts they ate. It's amazing and makes me not want to eat fruit at home! For breakfast you get to pick from a menu every morning that is amazing, ready quickly, and really is so, so good.

Every detail at the ranch has already been thought through and taken care of ahead of time for you. Caroline and the other staff at the front desk are amazing at what they do. They will help you plan ahead of time. I had a lot of questions and they happily answered every one! Once you are there they happily take care of any need and you feel like they are old friends you've known your whole life.

The staff that Lost Valley chooses cannot be beat. I have never seen a better group of people gathered in one place. They are all personable, intelligent, will answer any question, and make you feel so at home. The kid's supervisors are also amazing. Our kids had so much fun with them and felt loved on all week. They miss them so much already and talk about them frequently!

Lost Valley does a great job of giving parents rest and relaxation while your kids are riding. There is so much family time, but also time to do your own thing. We were actually wanting to get a lot of good time as a family and I was worried before we went I might need to keep the girls with us during a couple of rides just to get some good time with them. But I never felt like that. They got to ride while we rode with adults and we came back relaxed and full of stories to share. And we were so rested that we had a lot to give them when we came back together. And it's so great to get up to activities that are already planned and taken care of- you just show up! And then when it's time to eat, you just go eat! Nothing to cook or clean up after.

The activities the ranch has planned are really fun and entertaining. One of our favorite was the square dance. It was really well done and so much fun! It's not at all cheesy or silly. Everyone was laughing and having a great time. And it was our girls favorite part of the week! Even my husband who was a little apprehensive danced with our daughter and had a great time!

My favorite part of the week was the all day ride. We were gone for 6-7 hours and had THE BEST time! We got to help move some cattle which was amazing! It's a great chance to get out of line with your horses and wander the national forest. There are beautiful views and we all felt like real cowboys! And it didn't seem that long at all! If you plan to ride for a while and don't do so frequently, you might consider riding pants or padded bike pants under your jeans. And maybe some real western jeans! Designer jeans are not the best for riding because they aren't made for riding and they rub. I even wore some fitted yoga pants that worked really well (doesn't look much like a cowboy, but they were comfortable. This week we learned that all cowboy apparel serves a real purpose! I also suggest bringing or buying chapstick with sunscreen. (they sell this at the shop)

The shop on the ranch is really cute and has a lot of fun gifts. There are also cowboy hats and other things you might need for riding. And in the back of the store is the fountain. They have fun milkshakes and treats. Our girls got a milkshake every day after the afternoon ride. They loved doing that! I brought a case of water, but you can also have Lost Valley pick you some up in town. Other things I brought that I was glad to have were hand wipes and hand cleaner (I like killing germs) and a couple of blow up water toys. They provide nice towels, beach towels for the pool, and everything you could need in the cabin. The cabin was so nice and cozy. And the beds were so comfortable! The cabin girls do an amazing job of keeping everything clean during the week. You can have them do laundry if you need or there are also plenty of washers and dryers to do your own. It costs $2.50 to wash and dry a load and it was so easy to get done. I did a couple of loads because I like to have everything fresh and so my girls could reuse their favorite jeans.

Another really fun part of the week is the guest rodeo. We did barrel racing and team penning of some calves. It was such a great time! And it was so neat to see our kids get out there and show everything they had learned on a horse during the week! There are also great places to fish. The week we went there had been a lot of rain, so the water was too high to catch much. But that's not usually the case. You can't find anywhere prettier to fish!

During the week at meals you sit with other families and sometimes the staff. We were a little worried that we wouldn't want to necessarily eat meals with others because we wanted to spend time as a family. But it was so fun, never stressful and we made some great friends that we will definitely keep up with.

The only bad part of the week was Sunday morning when we had to leave! But coming home was actually ok because we were so rested and refreshed we were okay with re-entering real life.

3  Thank Kate T
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for summing up the ranch so well and offering so much great information for those interested in a possible vacation. We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. We are very grateful to hear that your family was able to connect, relax and be refreshed through the lodging, meals, activities, riding, staff and more. We do hope that you are able to return in the near future for more time as a family and a true vacation from life.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our family had a wonderful time from the moment we arrived! The location is truly breathtaking, the staff are impeccable, the food was wonderful, and the horseback riding was fantastic. We did not want to leave! Lost Valley Ranch is truly a piece of heaven, away from all the chaos of life. A perfect place to reconnect with nature and spend quality time together as a family. Our cabin, Ponderosa Pine, was lovely, very comfortable and tastefully decorated. Our children, ages 9 and 6, bonded with so many of the staff and miss all their new friends, especially their horses! Thank you for such a memorable vacation and we look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Finzi123
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your Lost Valley Ranch experience with the Trip Advisor community. I am glad that your family had such a wonderful time at the ranch, particularly the staff, food and horseback riding. We do hope that you have another opportunity to reconnect with nature and family here at the ranch in the future. Your home in the Rockies will be waiting for your return.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Impressed by the professionalism and well run appearance from the start - warm welcome from reception, couldn't have been more helpful- everything is well maintained and the lodges are beautifully furnished- very comfy beds -log fire -very clean throughout
I was also very impressed with the wranglers - not just the rides but the way they treated their horses - I watched one whose horse didn't want to cross some water -just use gentle encouragement and praise - very reassuring to see
catered for vegetarian diet with plentiful healthy food
would be happy to visit again, so many thanks to all the staff

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jayne444
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. It was our pleasure to have you on the ranch. It's always nice to hear that our staff were able to provide a "professional and friendly" experience for our guests. We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you back across the cattle guard in the near future. We look forward to taking you out on more rides in the Pike National Forest, serving meals that cater to your needs, and providing a home away from home for you.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

What a fantastic place. My 3 girlfriends and myself chose Lost Valley with a random Google search for our 30th birthday trip. From the get go Caroline was amazing helping us with our reservation. From the first moments at the ranch we felt an amazingly warm welcome. The cabins are very comfortable, we were at Trails End which has great views of the horse pasture and the meadow. Jake is the head wrangler and is very funny and kept it light. We rode with Charlie on both rides we did and he is very knowledgeable about the terrain and the riding. He gave great pointers on riding technique and didn't push us past our comfort zone. He is also super interesting and we had great conversation about books and movies. The food was great and there was a smile at every turn. By far the most friendly service I had ever received anywhere! One of the maintenance guys (Jeff I think) even followed us out on the dirt road because we had snowfall and he wanted to make sure we got out ok. How nice is that??? If there was a 6th star I would give it! Great job Lost Valley. Will for sure be a returning customer!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Katie T
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

We are so excited that we were able to be a part of your 30th birthday celebration here at Lost Valley Ranch. It was our pleasure to host the four of you at such a special time. Thank you for your encouraging words regarding our staff, cabins, rides and food. We look forward to the day that you cross our cattle guard again. Your home in the Rockies will be waiting for your return.

Been to Lost Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!