“perfect quaint getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
Winter Haven, Florida, United States
“perfect quaint getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

the rooms were clean the staff was phenomenal! Lucy the cat was always there for us to cuddle with. Breakfast was always good. And we enjoyed that there was a private beach so we can actually relax and enjoy our time.lots of great local restaurants nearby if you don't want to go back into St Augustine. We will be back to visit soon. Excellent excellent excellent.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Lake Mary, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

3 of us stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is directly across the street from a very nice stretch of Vilano Beach. The street can be a bit harrowing to cross with traffic but it's worth the risk. The staff were very nice and helpful. The hotel itself is a bit dated and needs some work. The breakfast included is not very good and the coffee is terrible. There are several restaurants and a Publix nearby and it is only 3 miles or so from the Old City. If you want to visit St Augustine without staying in the middle of the Old City this is a good option. Prices were high due to the holiday weekend. May stay again when prices are lower but wouldn't stay again at these rates.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor with a spa tub
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
msample, General Manager at Ocean Sands Beach Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
I am very happy you had a nice stay at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. I have to admit, I am a coffee person and to see that you thought our coffee was poor was like a dagger through the heart to me. I immediately investigated the cause and I believe that a new employee had been improperly trained and was not making the morning coffee at the correct strength. He was keel hauled and staked out at the beach at low tide! The coffee issue has been fixed!

I sincerely apologize for the coffee issues and I can assure you we have corrected the issues. I installed k-cup coffee makers in all of our guestroom and have flavored creamers because I know how important coffee can be to weary travelers. I also apologize if our breakfast did not meet your expectations. We do really try to provide a nice way to start the day and our hot breakfast includes eggs, sausage, waffles, potato's, and lots of other good stuff.

I hope you will be back and enjoy our fantastic location in the future. Our beach is second to none and it is part of our property. We are actually the closest hotel to downtown St Augustine with it's own beach and surrounded by a natural, scenic setting. Our hotel is also the ONLY hotel in the area with unobstructed views of the beautiful sunrise over the Atlantic and unspoiled views of the sunset over the marsh and wetlands by the infra-coastal waterway.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I can't say enough good about this place! The staff was friendly, the rooms were spacious, and the beach was amazing. We went memorial day weekend with our 15 month old. It was perfect for a family with young kids. We booked a room second floor with an ocean view. We had the patio to use while our son napped or after he went to bed at night. The fridge was big enough for some snacks and beer. The king room had a sitting area that was spacious. The rooms are brightly decorated and the breakfast is as good as you could reasonably expect from a free hotel breakfast. The staff was outgoing and welcoming.

I will say, that is you want spotless and fancy this was not that. It smelled like a beach hotel would - slightly damp and familiar with spring break. It was, however, clean and comfortable. I would highly recommend this, particularly for anyone wanting a quiet beach trip for a family.

Room Tip: the beach view is worth the extra price. The wetland views are nice, too, but you have to look past...
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

You can't get better for the price. Friendly staff, nice, well taken care of hotel rooms in an EXCELLENT location. Really, you are paying for the location and boy does it deliver. My wife and I have stayed here twice now and couldn't recommend it more.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a second floor, and you will either be rewarded with a great Ocean View or a g...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MtEHawks24
msample, General Manager at Ocean Sands Beach Inn, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your kind words and nice review. I think you really said it well when speaking about our location. I love the natural, scenic, peaceful setting of the hotel. It is the only hotel in the area with views of both the sunrise over the Atlantic and sunset over the wetlands and intra-coastal waterway. Thank you again and I look forward to you coming back for another visit in the future.
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I just finished a great stay at ocean sands. Hotel renovations are great and the staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful! I'm glad I chose the hotel and would definitely return. There was easy beach access and there is nothing like waking up to the ocean breeze.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I just returned from another visit to the Ocean Sands Beach Inn. My family has been several times and really enjoyed our stay, but this time I was very disappointed in many issues with the hotel. We stayed in a pet friendly room, which was great, but the sliding glass door did not open so made it difficult to take our little dog outside. The phones in the room did not work and the front desk told me they had been out for about 2 weeks and they had not been able to get them fixed. We were in room 113 and refrigerator sticks out too far-you run into it every time you exit the bathroom. And on our second day, we discovered no hot water. Not really fun to get all sandy at the beach and come back to a cold shower. Hot water issue continued into our third day, so we left at 8am. Staff is very friendly, but seems like hotel has maintenance issues. There is another pet-friendly hotel just up the road, which is actually on the beach so we will probably give them a try on our next visit to Vilano..

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
msample, General Manager at Ocean Sands Beach Inn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback - I sincerely appreciate it. I want to apologize for the issues you mentioned and let you know the problems you mentioned are of very high priority. I personally checked the room and found there was an issue with the sliding glass door track and it is now been fixed. Our telephone system did sustain an electrical surge from a major storm we had and I am in the process of replacing the switch, but it is taking a little longer then expected. All the incoming lines are operational, but we did lose some of the guestroom telephones. This should be correctly shortly. Last, I want to apologize for the issues with the hot water the one night at the hotel last week. We have propane for our boilers and it doesn't burn as clean as natural gas and we had a one-time issue with the flame sensor that was corrected within a day. It was out for a time during your visit and I apologize, but it was immediately corrected and we have not had any issues since the one time.

I saw you mentioned going to another pet-friendly hotel in Vilano and I am truly disappointed to see you go to another hotel. The Ocean Sands Beach Inn is the ONLY hotel in Vilano that has a private beach right on the ocean. The other hotels are nice and they are close to the beach, but definitely not ON the beach like our little hotel. I hope you will return and give us another try and I know that you will find that we are still a nice quality hotel and all the maintenance issues you mentioned were just a one-time issue and not the norm at the Ocean Sands Beach Inn.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My daughter & I stayed here May 13-17, combining a business trip with pleasure. It was the perfect hotel for us. While not a 5-star hotel, the rooms had all the amenities we needed: comfy beds, large flatscreen tv, Keurig coffeemaker, mini fridge, microwave, desk/chair plus corner chair. Sure the bathrooms are a little small & rooms maybe a bit, but I wasn't expecting an enormous suite! I was hoping for a nice, comfortable room & that we got in spades.
The staff couldn't have been nicer to us. We were greeted with smiles & hello's every time we encountered anybody. They went out of their way to be sure we had everything we needed.

Location? Literally across the road is their bridge over the sand dune. Then the unobstructed beach awaits you. It is heaven. Take one of their chairs to watch the waves. Or walk for miles and miles along the seashore. If you have little ones, there is a heated pool available as well.

I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ocean front, lower level, each have a nice, private patio, even without an ocean view. Quiet, too.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
#9 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,068 reviews
BEST WESTERN St. Augustine Beach Inn
BEST WESTERN St. Augustine Beach...
#3 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
#2 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Southern Oaks Inn
Southern Oaks Inn
#9 of 79 in St. Augustine
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,064 reviews

Been to Ocean Sands Beach Inn? Share your experiences!