“A gem in the Rockies”

The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House
Ranked #2 of 5 Silverton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2012

9 of us were touring by bicycle. After a particularly challenging day riding from Durango, CO, to Silverton, we were delighted to spend the last night of the tour at The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House. We were greeted with muffins as we arrived. The rooms are lovely, nicely furnished and comfortable. There is a lovely sitting room where we sat and talked after our long ride and where I sat and read for a while. Outside, there is a lovely gazebo as well as hot tub. Much appreciated by the group was a shed to store our bikes. Before going out for supper, we were treated to port and appetizers (mozzarella, tomatoes and basil pesto). Breakfast was excellent, french toast, home made granola, yoghurt. Perfect for the start of our last day of cycling, over the Million Dollar Highway.
The innkeepers, Megan and Dooley, are friendly and very attentive.

Silverton is small, quite isolated in a lovely setting. Alma House is truly "historic." Don't expect a five star hotel but given the setting, one could not do better. It was clearly the nicest place we stayed at during our trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank PedalerPaul

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We just returned from Silverton and our second stay at Alma House. It was an amazing trip. The Alma House has new inn keepers and they are great. The room was spotless and the breakfasts were amazing each morning. Of course they are famous for their homemade granola and it was still wonderful but the french toast served one morning I think will soon be a demanded favorite. I wish them all the success in the world and if you are in the area stop and say hello and better yet stay a few nights and experience true hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Toni Ross W
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We have just left the Inn of the Rockies after a 3 night stay. This is an historic building in Silverton which has been kept in character with its roots. There is a new couple in charge of running the hotel, Megan and Dooley. They were the most welcoming hostes I have come across in years. Nothing seemed to much trouble and we felt that there was nothing we couldn't ask for. Dooley is an excellent cook who shared his homemade chocolate cake and port with us in the garden one afternoon. Breakfast was excellent and all freshly prepared.
The room was a good size and whilst there had a look in at some of the other rooms that weren't occupied. All were we'll presented. Towels etc were of an excellent quality which gave a real feel of luxury. There is a small sitting room for guest use and a large garden with several chairs and tables available. We made use of the hot tub which is also in the garden. This gives beautiful views across to the mountains.
Having walked around the town there didn't appear to be any other hotels that provided such good accommodation with a garden to relax in. I would highly recommend this hotel. Good luck Megan and Dooley with this venture

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My friends and I found ourselves in Slverton almost by accident one day in March of 2012. We descended on The Inn of the Rockies quite by accident - and quite late in the day. Nevertheless, our hosts not only took on our motley crew, they proceeded to provide us with a breath-taking level of service. The house itself is *wonderful* - my clawfoot-tub fantasy was completely fulfilled. And, when the low-altitude Texan - me - cratered from altitude sickness, I was the grateful recipient of room-service remedies.

The scenery to which I refer in the title of this review is absolutely stunning. Even in late March, it was a unbelievable aesthetic treat to be surrounded by those mountains. And the town of Silverton itself is quite scenic - I took a zillion pictures.

I have stayed in countless B&Bs - from Norumbega in Maine to The Lodge at Palo Pinto,Texas - and this was by far my best experience!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maria M
Reviewed 22 March 2012

What a wonderful surprise to find a truly wonderful B & B in little Silverton, Colorado. My husband & I enjoyed a very comfortable night followed by a delicious breakfast in the morning! The french toast, and smoothies were the perfect fuel for a day of skiing at Silverton! Amy & William were most welcoming and accommodated our every need.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CGGJ79
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Myself and 3 friends stayed in this excellent B&B in Silverton. We were in town for a ski trip, and the House was perfect for our stay. Great breakfast in the morning from William and Amy and they were both very helpful with any questions we had. The town itself had a variety of bars and restaurants all walking distance from the Inn. I can highly recommend the Alma House and will definitely be staying here again on our next trip to Silverton.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My stay at the Alma House was excellent. William and Amy provided service that was delightful in every way. The food was amazing. The room was cozy. This is the best place to stay in Silverton. I will be back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silverton
Grand Imperial Hotel
#8 of 15 in Ouray
Smedleys Suites
Smedleys Suites
#4 of 5 in Silverton

Been to The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House? Share your experiences!