“The best place in town!”

The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House
Ranked #2 of 5 Silverton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I am hiking the Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango. I am British and was amazed by the hospitality shown to me by Doolie and Magen at Alma House. I have rarely experienced this high level of hospitality and eagerness to please. From the moment I arrived, I was made to fell extremely welcome and, believe me having hiked over 15 miles to Molas Pass and then hitched into town, I felt I had arrived at a special place.
Doolie and Magen couldn't do enough to make me feel at home and it was just what I needed as I was very tired.
The rooms are very spacious and cosy and I was able to relax straight away. Any need I had or unusual request was met by: 'no problem'. Nothing was too much trouble.
And let's not forget the breakfast that is included in the price. From various types of fruit and yoghurt to cereal and then a fried breakfast of egg and sausage to endless cups of cofffee, it really set me up for the day.
What more can I say? Please take time out and visit this exceptional Inn.

Room Tip: I had room 6; near the stairs and near the bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris B
There are newer reviews for The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House

Reviewed 21 August 2012

The Alma House is an old hotel that was around during the mining heyday of Silverton. We were traveling with friends and had three rooms. Two of the three shared a bathroom with an old claw foot tub/shower. The innkeepers are fairly new - transplants from Texas and were very nice. The breakfasts were simple and very good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank karaben
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We happened upon the Alma House by chance during a rain storm. We called around to other B&B's to check prices and see if they accept dogs. Alma house accepts dogs and Megan was just really friendly on the phone when all the other places were not. We were really impressed with the beauty of the property and the friendliness of Dually and Megan. We slept in a HUGE comfortable bed and had a delicious breakfast waiting for us in the morning. When we come back to Silverton, we will most definitely be staying at The Inn of The Rockies aka The Alma House.

Aaron & Leah

Room Tip: Room 10 was beautiful!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Afr0st
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My family and I recently had the extreme pleasure of happening upon The Historic Alma House in Silverton.  The hotel is just lovely.  That we were able to walk in and get a wonderful, HUGE room was an absolute blessing.  Besides falling in love with the town and your establishment, our experience was made all the more exceptional because of the inn keepers, especially Magan.  She couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating.  Rarely do you find service at her level.  If I had the means, I would have rewarded her in gold, alas all I have is a grateful heart and words of praise.
Please let this note do as much good for your innkeepers as possible, and rest assured knowing that these two are amazing employees.
All this and I didn't even mention the food!!! I mean the house always smelled of cookies and the breakfast....Just wonderful.
Laura and Baby Kate
Texas

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Laura L
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We had a group of 4 stay for a night at this bed and breakfast. I wish we could have stay more than one night. The inn keepers were wonderful. The homemade cookies and breakfast was very delicious. My favorite was the french toast. I would have to say that it was the best place in town. You should definitely try it out!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are neat. They all have their own look to them.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2012

9 of us were touring by bicycle. After a particularly challenging day riding from Durango, CO, to Silverton, we were delighted to spend the last night of the tour at The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House. We were greeted with muffins as we arrived. The rooms are lovely, nicely furnished and comfortable. There is a lovely sitting room where we sat and talked after our long ride and where I sat and read for a while. Outside, there is a lovely gazebo as well as hot tub. Much appreciated by the group was a shed to store our bikes. Before going out for supper, we were treated to port and appetizers (mozzarella, tomatoes and basil pesto). Breakfast was excellent, french toast, home made granola, yoghurt. Perfect for the start of our last day of cycling, over the Million Dollar Highway.
The innkeepers, Megan and Dooley, are friendly and very attentive.

Silverton is small, quite isolated in a lovely setting. Alma House is truly "historic." Don't expect a five star hotel but given the setting, one could not do better. It was clearly the nicest place we stayed at during our trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank PedalerPaul
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We just returned from Silverton and our second stay at Alma House. It was an amazing trip. The Alma House has new inn keepers and they are great. The room was spotless and the breakfasts were amazing each morning. Of course they are famous for their homemade granola and it was still wonderful but the french toast served one morning I think will soon be a demanded favorite. I wish them all the success in the world and if you are in the area stop and say hello and better yet stay a few nights and experience true hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Toni Ross W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silverton
Grand Imperial Hotel
Hotel Ouray
Hotel Ouray
#2 of 15 in Ouray
Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs

Been to The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House? Share your experiences!