“Nice little inn with plenty of charm”

The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House
Ranked #2 of 5 Silverton B&B and Inns
Salzburg, Austria
“Nice little inn with plenty of charm”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The inn is very easy to find, just one block off the main street (Silverton is a very small town so I guess almost everything is easy to find).
At first, nobody was there, not even a notice. But after a couple of minutes the innkeepers welcomed us to their inn. The keepers were pretty new in town, because the owners had some health issues. Therefore they were in the middle of getting to know the whole property. The kitchen was not running, so there was no breakfast (but we did get a small discount as a compensation). We had breakfast at the black bear cafe next morning - we can recommend that !
Our room was pretty nice and looked (the inn's name already says it) historic, but with all the amenities you need (remote controlled fire place, flatscreen tv, ...).
All the restaurants and shops in Silverton "downtown" are in walking distance, although there were only a few open at that time (we were there in early season).
Now the only complaint (and therefore just 4 stars) was the bed. It was so extremly soft, you had to watch that you don't fall out. Therefore we had a hard time to catch some sleep.
Maybe they have better mattresses in some of their other rooms, we don't know.
But that wouldn't keep us from returning to this wonderful and charming inn !

Room Tip: Maybe ask about the mattress in your room before you book (soft, hard, inbetween, ...).
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sial

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Tired of the Quality Inn, Ramada, Quality Inn, Budget Inn, Holiday Inn Express and a dozen others, The Historic Alma House allows you to truly enjoy what lodging was once was, The wonderfully gracious owner left my keys on the desk (plus cookies), allowing me to access the room hours earlier than standard check in time enabling me to nap before my beloved Spurs fell to the overpaid Miami Heat in game seven of this years NBA Finals. On top of it my order for breakfast is scheduled on my time, life rocks.... The room is furnished with a fireplace (electric), satellite TV, WIFI, ceiling fan, private bath, comfortable bed...Not that Silverton is a big city, the best dining is less than a five minute walk from The Historic Alma House front dor

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank magickayak
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed one night after hiking on the Continental Divide trail. Our hosts were very gracious to a couple of bedraggled hikers arriving unannounced, without reservations, on the afternoon of Labor day. All that was available was the 3rd floor suite, which was very spacious and comfortable. The location is just two blocks off the main drag, so after a nice breakfast we did a little sightseeing before catching the train back to Durango.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HighlandTinker
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I am hiking the Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango. I am British and was amazed by the hospitality shown to me by Doolie and Magen at Alma House. I have rarely experienced this high level of hospitality and eagerness to please. From the moment I arrived, I was made to fell extremely welcome and, believe me having hiked over 15 miles to Molas Pass and then hitched into town, I felt I had arrived at a special place.
Doolie and Magen couldn't do enough to make me feel at home and it was just what I needed as I was very tired.
The rooms are very spacious and cosy and I was able to relax straight away. Any need I had or unusual request was met by: 'no problem'. Nothing was too much trouble.
And let's not forget the breakfast that is included in the price. From various types of fruit and yoghurt to cereal and then a fried breakfast of egg and sausage to endless cups of cofffee, it really set me up for the day.
What more can I say? Please take time out and visit this exceptional Inn.

Room Tip: I had room 6; near the stairs and near the bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Chris B
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The Alma House is an old hotel that was around during the mining heyday of Silverton. We were traveling with friends and had three rooms. Two of the three shared a bathroom with an old claw foot tub/shower. The innkeepers are fairly new - transplants from Texas and were very nice. The breakfasts were simple and very good.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank karaben
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We happened upon the Alma House by chance during a rain storm. We called around to other B&B's to check prices and see if they accept dogs. Alma house accepts dogs and Megan was just really friendly on the phone when all the other places were not. We were really impressed with the beauty of the property and the friendliness of Dually and Megan. We slept in a HUGE comfortable bed and had a delicious breakfast waiting for us in the morning. When we come back to Silverton, we will most definitely be staying at The Inn of The Rockies aka The Alma House.

Aaron & Leah

Room Tip: Room 10 was beautiful!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Afr0st
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My family and I recently had the extreme pleasure of happening upon The Historic Alma House in Silverton.  The hotel is just lovely.  That we were able to walk in and get a wonderful, HUGE room was an absolute blessing.  Besides falling in love with the town and your establishment, our experience was made all the more exceptional because of the inn keepers, especially Magan.  She couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating.  Rarely do you find service at her level.  If I had the means, I would have rewarded her in gold, alas all I have is a grateful heart and words of praise.
Please let this note do as much good for your innkeepers as possible, and rest assured knowing that these two are amazing employees.
All this and I didn't even mention the food!!! I mean the house always smelled of cookies and the breakfast....Just wonderful.
Laura and Baby Kate
Texas

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silverton
Teller House
#4 of 8 in Silverton
Triangle Motel
Triangle Motel
#4 of 7 in Silverton

Been to The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House? Share your experiences!