“Quaint”
Review of Silverton Mountain

Silverton Mountain
Ranked #6 of 23 things to do in Silverton
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Silverton is a beautiful little mining town that is nestled in the Colorado mountains. It is amazing to see the little village from high above the highway as you make your way down into town. Cute restaurants and gift shops...and a wonderful steam train ride from Durangp to Silverton if you like.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

This area is a bit depressed and really depends on the tourist trade but it is a beautiful place to visit. We came up the Million Dollar Highway and the scenery is just incredible. Cute shops, a small museum and the end depot for the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad. That train was quite impressive. Would like to come back to do the train ride. The best surprise was at the National Forest Service office where the volunteer is a resident that has also authored several books about the area. Fun!!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I hit Silverton Mountain a couple of weeks back. Fortunately I'd read the reviews and got myself in decent shape before heading out there. I run about 3 miles a day 4/5 times a week. I was sucking wind up there, but at least I could keep up (with a moderate paced group). I was flying from the East Coast, so going from 0 to 13k feet didn't help either. I took some prescription diamox - no headaches, but hard to say if that was a big help. I don't want to dwell on the fitness too much, but after you've hiked a 1000ft from the chairlift, you want to enjoy the powder run down, which in itself is hard work. If you've got nothing left in your legs to enjoy it, kinda blows the whole experience!
We got lucky with some fresh snow cover before we arrived, so Thursday/friday was all fresh tracks. The guides all work together to ensure each group gets good powder each day. This includes ensuring that each group of eight (and each person in the group) creates a tight track down the slope, maximizing the powder for other groups and other days.
You'll get between 4 and 6 runs a day in and that's without a lunch stop. Here's some suggestions for making the day easier:
The temperature swings wildly between morning and afternoon and don't be fooled by the weather reports from Silverton - I had one day where we left Silverton with clear sun and 35, only to reach the resort (about 15mins into the mountains) and face a snowstorm and 20 degrees with additional wind chill. Wear layers of clothing, with the ability to take a layer off and stuff it in your backpack. Like I said, nobody wants to take a break, so you really don't get any opportunities to either drop stuff in the tent (resort!), because it's up a hill away from the lift, or your car. Not saying you can't do it, but you'll be slowing your group down!
Put a couple of gatorades or waters and snack bars in your back pack. The altitude/exhaustion did something to my appetite - I lost it completely, but the gatorades were essential. Again, not easy to get a refill because of the tent access. I'm not sure why they don't keep a cooler by the chairlift - they would sell a ton. drink as much water each morning as you can.
If you're renting a snowboard - make sure you know what you want. The ventura rental guys were all skiers (and typical ski snobs - yeah you boarders have met the type) and didn't have a clue about boards.
If you're a boarder and can get a guide who is a boarder, do it. the ski guides had a tendancy to take massive traverses that you can't possibly get through without stopping. If you get a skier, ask him to let you know where you can drop off a traverse if you don't make it. You do not want to take that board off and walk. Walking is basically impossible due to the snow depth. On one occasion i got stuck and had to take the board off and walk 10 yrds. I got so tired, I was almost puking. A quick shout out to Courtney, my one boarding guide. he was frikin awesome. Not just because he was a boarder either. My ski buddy thought he took us on the best terrain too. BTW not to take away from the other guides we had - they were all awesome.
Don't forget the sun cream.
Toss the shovel - it's not going to help YOU. just kidding, just kidding. don't toss the shovel.
I stayed at the Grand Imperial - nice hotel and does a decent burger.
Hit Mobius for a breakfast burrito. It's right below the Imperial. The Alalanche was quick and good too. just a little drive round the corner.
You have to hit Montanya's in the evening. this was the rockin place - and I use that loosely. this is, after all, sleepy silverton. Montanya's, at least, had everyone from the slopes in there at night and it's got a cool setup.
We did 3 days - Thursday through Saturday. Knowing what I know now, I would either start training for a marathon 6 months before, or cut it down to 2 days and hit Tellurude or somewhere else for other days.

3  Thank Alontheslopes
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Small groups with guides, great powder, rugged Colorado mountains and an all around adventuresome atmosphere.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

This mountain is by far the most dangerous in North America. There are no easy ways down and you need to be fit, acclimated and technically adept. I had a wonderful experience but the rest of my group, all advanced/expert riders, did not due to lack of fitness.
I'm writing this review because I think people should understand what they're getting into before they show up
The guides were great, the snow and the runs fantastic and the scenery magnificent. However, dont think you can show up one day after arriving from sea level with a decent skiing/boarding skill set and enjoy yourself, you will get crushed! Make sure you're a double black all conditions type and you'll have a great experience. I'd echo the sentiments of the other reviewer, you could die here.

2  Thank HikerPaul