“Sandwiches and burgers pretty much the only things during the afternoon.”
Review of Brown Bear Cafe

Brown Bear Cafe
Ranked #5 of 35 Restaurants in Silverton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The service I have found in Silverton for the past 3 days has been below average. Also, the town is geared towards service fast food. When traveling most people find these same sandwiches and hamburgers and, like me, would like a change of venue with some health alternatives. Also because it is a tourist town (although that should not be an excuse), the sandwiches are about 25% more than you would find in another town.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

After skiing we drove up to Silverton on the Million Dollar Highway. Lots of hairpin turns and steep mountainside views. The guy at Half way to Heaven gift shop at Purgatory said it was worth the drive to see the town and grab a bite to eat. The population of Silverton is like 531, aso almost everything was closed except the visitor center and Brown Bear Cafe. It was so warm inside from the wood burning stove at the entrance, the guy told us we could sit anywhere we wanted. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger and my husband ordered a French dip roast beef sandwich. The bacon on my burger was so flavorful and smokey. We didn't stay long because we didn't want to be on that highway after dark, but what a cute town and a really good burger! You should make time to see it if you are in the area!!

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We had a very good lunch at the Brown Bear Cafe. The service was excellent, and the food was quite good. I felt my reuben was about a dollar overpriced (it cost 10),but I was very happy with the reuben itself. We enjoyed their fries and onion rings as well. Their Brown Bear Amber beer was very good too. My husband enjoyed his burger as well. It was nice to read about the history of the building too. We would definitely come back and recommend it.

1  Thank Wickedpixie13-nm
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The Brown Bear Cafe was recommended for breakfast. The morning we stopped in they had a banana pancakes as special which I tried. They were very good and nice slices of banana of in them. My husband had there regular pancakes and a side of hash browns. The food was served hot, and we liked that the syrup was served warm. We would eat here again. Another neat old building in Silverton.

1  Thank minichix
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I love restaurants that inhabit century-old buildings. The Brown Bear is certainly fun to look at (especially around the holidays) and read about, but the food was a bit of a letdown. The soup was just barely passable, the cobbler was awful, undercooked, and gloppy, and even something as ubiquitous as french fries required some serious work. I'd have rated it higher had the service ventured into excellent territory or if the prices were a bit lower. It's just OK.

1  Thank BlakKat

Been to Brown Bear Cafe? Share your experiences!