“average at best”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We rode the Silverton train up to town and were told that the Picklebarrel was a great place to eat, and that the Brown Bear is a good runner-up. The Picklebarrel was closed, so we walked down the street to the Brown Bear.

Nice atmosphere and a lot of historical photos along with a fabulous, refurbished wooden bar originally built in 1906.

Some of the staff were very nice and attentive; our gal was having a bad day. She missed parts of our order, and got other parts wrong, and generally made ours a less-than-stellar experience, and because the train schedule is very tight, she cost us quite a bit of time to tour the rest of the town and shop.

Food was OK; nothing special to brag about, particularly for the prices charged. Wouldn't repeat the experience as there are a number of other restaurant options in this tourist town.

1  Thank Steve D

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The service I have found in Silverton for the past 3 days has been below average. Also, the town is geared towards service fast food. When traveling most people find these same sandwiches and hamburgers and, like me, would like a change of venue with some health alternatives. Also because it is a tourist town (although that should not be an excuse), the sandwiches are about 25% more than you would find in another town.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

After skiing we drove up to Silverton on the Million Dollar Highway. Lots of hairpin turns and steep mountainside views. The guy at Half way to Heaven gift shop at Purgatory said it was worth the drive to see the town and grab a bite to eat. The population of Silverton is like 531, aso almost everything was closed except the visitor center and Brown Bear Cafe. It was so warm inside from the wood burning stove at the entrance, the guy told us we could sit anywhere we wanted. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger and my husband ordered a French dip roast beef sandwich. The bacon on my burger was so flavorful and smokey. We didn't stay long because we didn't want to be on that highway after dark, but what a cute town and a really good burger! You should make time to see it if you are in the area!!

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We had a very good lunch at the Brown Bear Cafe. The service was excellent, and the food was quite good. I felt my reuben was about a dollar overpriced (it cost 10),but I was very happy with the reuben itself. We enjoyed their fries and onion rings as well. Their Brown Bear Amber beer was very good too. My husband enjoyed his burger as well. It was nice to read about the history of the building too. We would definitely come back and recommend it.

1  Thank Wickedpixie13-nm
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The Brown Bear Cafe was recommended for breakfast. The morning we stopped in they had a banana pancakes as special which I tried. They were very good and nice slices of banana of in them. My husband had there regular pancakes and a side of hash browns. The food was served hot, and we liked that the syrup was served warm. We would eat here again. Another neat old building in Silverton.

1  Thank minichix

Been to Brown Bear Cafe? Share your experiences!