“Dinner at The Brown Bear”
Review of Brown Bear Cafe

Brown Bear Cafe
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Silverton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We arrived Silverton CO and drifted into town for dinner. We encountered the Brown Bear as one of the few cafe's open as it was late afternoon and early in the season, so we decided to try it. Upon entering I was struck by the historic decor. A huge mahogany back mirror/shelf at the bar as well as several dozen antique oil lamps mounted on the walls. I spent a considerable amount of time exploring it.

We had a light dinner, wife had soup (Sausage Chicken Gumbo) and a salad bar, and I had the green chile burger. I opted for a cup of the Gumbo as opposed to the fries. Both were quite good. The Green Chile burger is an 8 oz burger, cooked exactly as ordered. The Gumbo was tasty as well, but a bit heavy on rice I thought.

Service was good, there was only one waitress and she had a few customers coming and going, but when our food arrived at the table, it was hot which is always something I look for.

On the down side as I explored I found several places in the cafe where my feet stuck to the floor. It seemed to me that many drinks had been spilled and left on the floor. One place I actually had to pull my foot free from the floor. A bit of housekeeping certainly would not detract from the overall ambiance of the decor.

I certainly will return, but choose where I set more carefully.

1  Thank BigL49

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We rode the Silverton train up to town and were told that the Picklebarrel was a great place to eat, and that the Brown Bear is a good runner-up. The Picklebarrel was closed, so we walked down the street to the Brown Bear.

Nice atmosphere and a lot of historical photos along with a fabulous, refurbished wooden bar originally built in 1906.

Some of the staff were very nice and attentive; our gal was having a bad day. She missed parts of our order, and got other parts wrong, and generally made ours a less-than-stellar experience, and because the train schedule is very tight, she cost us quite a bit of time to tour the rest of the town and shop.

Food was OK; nothing special to brag about, particularly for the prices charged. Wouldn't repeat the experience as there are a number of other restaurant options in this tourist town.

1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The service I have found in Silverton for the past 3 days has been below average. Also, the town is geared towards service fast food. When traveling most people find these same sandwiches and hamburgers and, like me, would like a change of venue with some health alternatives. Also because it is a tourist town (although that should not be an excuse), the sandwiches are about 25% more than you would find in another town.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

After skiing we drove up to Silverton on the Million Dollar Highway. Lots of hairpin turns and steep mountainside views. The guy at Half way to Heaven gift shop at Purgatory said it was worth the drive to see the town and grab a bite to eat. The population of Silverton is like 531, aso almost everything was closed except the visitor center and Brown Bear Cafe. It was so warm inside from the wood burning stove at the entrance, the guy told us we could sit anywhere we wanted. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger and my husband ordered a French dip roast beef sandwich. The bacon on my burger was so flavorful and smokey. We didn't stay long because we didn't want to be on that highway after dark, but what a cute town and a really good burger! You should make time to see it if you are in the area!!

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We had a very good lunch at the Brown Bear Cafe. The service was excellent, and the food was quite good. I felt my reuben was about a dollar overpriced (it cost 10),but I was very happy with the reuben itself. We enjoyed their fries and onion rings as well. Their Brown Bear Amber beer was very good too. My husband enjoyed his burger as well. It was nice to read about the history of the building too. We would definitely come back and recommend it.

1  Thank Wickedpixie13-nm

Been to Brown Bear Cafe? Share your experiences!