“Hot food on a cold day”
Review of Brown Bear Cafe

Brown Bear Cafe
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Silverton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Good hot roast beef dinner and sandwiches. Everything we had was tasty. Lovely setting original building with brick walls and tin ceiling.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The building and decorations are colorful as you would want in Silverton. The service, selection, and prices were what you would want in a "family" restaurant.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

My wife and I ate here last year. We also dined at the Brown Bear on this May 2014 trip. The wait staff was prompt and friendly. The food was great. The Brown Bear is one of the very few restaurants that are open year round in Silverton.

The interior is full of history and they have a large wood burning stove near the entrance.

We experienced light snow on 21 May 2014 in Silverton and Molas Pass.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We arrived Silverton CO and drifted into town for dinner. We encountered the Brown Bear as one of the few cafe's open as it was late afternoon and early in the season, so we decided to try it. Upon entering I was struck by the historic decor. A huge mahogany back mirror/shelf at the bar as well as several dozen antique oil lamps mounted on the walls. I spent a considerable amount of time exploring it.

We had a light dinner, wife had soup (Sausage Chicken Gumbo) and a salad bar, and I had the green chile burger. I opted for a cup of the Gumbo as opposed to the fries. Both were quite good. The Green Chile burger is an 8 oz burger, cooked exactly as ordered. The Gumbo was tasty as well, but a bit heavy on rice I thought.

Service was good, there was only one waitress and she had a few customers coming and going, but when our food arrived at the table, it was hot which is always something I look for.

On the down side as I explored I found several places in the cafe where my feet stuck to the floor. It seemed to me that many drinks had been spilled and left on the floor. One place I actually had to pull my foot free from the floor. A bit of housekeeping certainly would not detract from the overall ambiance of the decor.

I certainly will return, but choose where I set more carefully.

1  Thank BigL49
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We rode the Silverton train up to town and were told that the Picklebarrel was a great place to eat, and that the Brown Bear is a good runner-up. The Picklebarrel was closed, so we walked down the street to the Brown Bear.

Nice atmosphere and a lot of historical photos along with a fabulous, refurbished wooden bar originally built in 1906.

Some of the staff were very nice and attentive; our gal was having a bad day. She missed parts of our order, and got other parts wrong, and generally made ours a less-than-stellar experience, and because the train schedule is very tight, she cost us quite a bit of time to tour the rest of the town and shop.

Food was OK; nothing special to brag about, particularly for the prices charged. Wouldn't repeat the experience as there are a number of other restaurant options in this tourist town.

1  Thank Steve D