“Worth the drive”

Mattie and Maud's
Ranked #13 of 33 Restaurants in Silverton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We couldn't find any consistently good reviews for breakfast places in Ouray. We happened to be staying at a hotel above the Silver Nugget which offered free breakfast...but after staying there the night and reading reviews on the food...we decided to pass.
We are big on breakfasts in our family and we were heading to Durango that morning so we found this place in Silverton that had great reviews and decided to fill our tanks up a bit on some snacks and make it to Silverton for a good meal.
Glad we did. It was worth it. All of the food was very good. Ingredients were fresh. I thought the sausage was going to be run of the mill Sysco Food's sausage but you can tell the patties were handmade.
The owner was the one at the counter taking orders. He was a very nice guy. The Fry bread was good. Reminded me of Fry Jacks we had while traveling in Belize.
We love finding locally owned places that do what they do well and this was one of them. Laid back, good food, friendly owners.

1  Thank DebbieOdom

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Service is slow, but that is because the owners cook it them selves. Very friendly people.
The fried hot dog was ok, but the chile pie, or Fritos pie was dry, just Fritos and some beans, no chili. Maybe that is the Colorado way. The French fries were so greasy they gave me a stomach
ache after 3 of them. Maybe the breakfast is good but not lunch.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I would say this is THE place to eat breakfast in SIlverton. The owners are friendly and like dogs (outside) - this is a self-service restaurant so that's just something to keep in mind. The portions are large and tasty - give it a try!! I read the comments that someone made about the green chili - the green chili I had in my burrito is the actual chili - not a sauce with pork, spices etc. So just keep that in mind if you are ordering chili. I love it!

1  Thank randisbrown
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had breakfast there every morning. It is a local grill doing an above average job and at a lower price than fancier looking places. The owners were very friendly people and prepared our food with as much care and attention as we would at home.

1  Thank docfrank2013
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were very disappointed with our 6/14/14 visit after riding the train to Silverton. My husband had the huevos ranchero and was mildly satisfied. The green chili is average but with no pork, it has no flavor. That's a crime for Colorado! I had a Navajo taco with ground beef. And that's exactly what it was. Fried bread, (pretty good, a bit oily) fried ground beef, covered with fresh lettuce and tomatoes. Then a very watery poor try at red chili sauce was poured over the whole taco. The cook would do justice to her cooking if she'd learn to make great green and red chili. Beans, sour cream and avocado would have been nice on the taco. My grand son who is 6 ordered a pizza with cheese. Once again it was served on fry bread with a very strong tomato paste scantly covered with cheddar cheese. This isn't a pizza. Get some pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and it would be delicious. Our meal total was over $40 for three of us. I think it's about 25% over priced.
I do want to point out that it's a darling, cute, clean place. The owners are delightful, friendly and very present to answer questions. It's a serve yourself diner which is ok. I'd come back if the menu was expanded a bit and the sauces were improved. I'd love to come and teach you how to make great green and red chili!

1  Thank jcdmrich