“Park and Hike for Fantastic Views”
Review of Molas Pass

Molas Pass
Durango, Colorado
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Park and Hike for Fantastic Views”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

You can park at the top of Molas Pass and take a gander at the mountains there, which are beautiful. But if you want more of a mountain experience, with a little time and effort, park just off 550 south of Molas Lake (east side of the highway) and begin your hike down for a great view of the Grenadiers. In a little less than a mile, you will come to an outcropping of rock that looks to the northeast at a line of jagged peaks. You can also look down into the valley and see a tiny piece of the Animas River and the D&SNGRR alongside. The wildflowers will be in bloom from the middle of July on. Don't miss this short hike.

The Molas Trail on the west side of 550 takes you up mostly above timber line. Fantastic mountain scenery.

Note that summer afternoon showers in July and August mean an early start on the trail if you don't want to get wet.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Awesome views”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Molas Pass has some awesome views of the San Juan Forest and surrounding mountains. Get there early for a breathtaking sunrise.

1 Thank pens1fan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful Place, Sour Experience”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

To preface, my husband and I are avid campers and have camped all over the great United States, with varying degrees of difficulty. We live in the great state of Arizona, and love to travel to nearby areas for new adventures. We consider ourselves experienced, and wish to bestow our knowledge and love of camping, fishing and hunting upon our children. My daughters, ages 5 and 3 wanted nothing more than to go fishing. We have taken them fishing many times before in our state, but that was months ago, and they've since "forgotten how". Which worked out fine because we were invited to meet my husbands brother and wife, and their two children ages 7 and 4. The place, Molas Lake. We read all about it online and were very excited for our trip.
The campgrounds are STUNNING. Views of the mountains, lake and amazing pines stretching far and wide. Our campsite was on the rocky and hilly side, which was a bit difficult for the kids to maneuver, but we made do. We reserved two campsites next to one and other so we could all eat, play and be merry.
Now to my complaint. My husband wasn't particularly interested in fishing or eating fish (we had planned for smoked tri tip afterall), but we knew that his brother (two years his elder) is a very skilled fisherman and was excited to fish with all of the kids. My husband went along, across from our campsite to the lake, to help his brother "rangel" all of the children. He had already looked up the rules on DPW for the state of Colorado and learned that children are allowed to fish without a permit, he has always been a stickler for the rules.

He did not purchase a fishing licence for himself because we would only be there for a day and figured his brother (a Colorado resident and holder of a fishing permit) could show our kids the ropes this time. My two daughters were taking turns using their Barbie-Themed pole. It broke after about two hours. My brother in law kindly shared his second pole with my daughters. My oldest daughter wanted to come back to the campsite after fishing for five minutes, so my husband took her back to the site, and brought my youngest daughter, 3 year old Anna, back down for her turn to fish with the group. Not even five minutes after he took her down there, DPW truck shows up, and gives my husband a ticket for fishing without a license. I was listening to the man speak in over-the-top RUDE tones to my husband, claiming he had been "watching him fish for half an hour" He explained to the DPW officer that he had just arrived, and was just helping the little one throw in the line, to which he replied "YOU TELL YOURSELF WHATEVER YOU WANT, YOU WERE FISHING HARD". Absolute absurdity. My daughter came back crying, scared and worried that SHE WAS IN TROUBLE FOR FISHING. Not a good experience at all. We know that this officer mistook my husband for his brother, but this officer refused to hear either of them out. For his mistake, and refusal to simply issue a warning, we now have to pay $70.
Yes, I realize this is review geared mostly toward DPW, but I feel as though the campgrounds should be made aware that this incident with a rude officer really soured our experience.

If you wish your children to enjoy fishing, or if they are young and need a grown up to assist with tangled lines or holding the pole while putting a worm on (yes, my daughter was using a worm she had found earlier) then I would avoid this campground for the sheer ridiculousness of said particular officer. We will find campgrounds elsewhere in the future.

3 Thank Nickie B
Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Beautiful area!!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed just driving through and tent camped. Beautiful campgrounds. very peaceful and quite. Owners very friendly and helpful. They where full due to July 4th weekend but they found us a spot right on the lake. Only regret was wish we could have stayed longer. Toilets are vault toilets but very clean. One night with 2 people was only $27. Gorgeous area. They have coffee and pastries each morning at the host residence. Also have firewood for sale if you didn't bring any.

Statesville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Durango, Molas Pass, Red Mountain, waterfalls, and Ouray”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

What a wonderful road to travel. We recently took our canam spider across the country and this was one of our favorite rides. We took lots of pictures and they were out of this world beautiful. There were no bad views. We explored some of the side roads around Red Mountain and took a closer look at some of the old mines there. Then we moved on toward Ouray. Be sure you stop before you reach Ouray and check out the waterfalls under the bridge before you go under the tunnel and down to Ouray. Absolutely beautiful, rainbows can be seen. We loved our time spent here, well worth the ride And Silverton and the train ride were awesome also. I loved looking at all the old buildings and shopping in the stores.

Visited June 2014