The Bent Elbow Hotel And Restaurant
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$162
Triangle Motel(Silverton)(Great Value!)
US$98
Travelocity
US$394
The Victorian Inn(Telluride)(Great Value!)
US$130
Mountainside Inn(Telluride)
US$132
US$128
Orbitz.com
The Wyman Hotel(Silverton)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewswould stay here againbonnieupstairstraindurangomining
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed at the Bent Elbow back in May and returned in Sept. with my wife. We stayed in the Western room, which has furniture and pictures that fit the Western theme. The room was a little cramped for two people but the bathroom was plenty big.

The room got a little warm at times, but that was remedied by turning on the ceiling fan or by opening the window. It was actually rather nice to sleep with the window cracked to let the fresh mountain air in, although there wasn't a screen so we had to be careful to not let too many flying insects in.

One night we heard a little piano music from the restaurant/bar downstairs but it wasn't objectionable and generally the place was very quiet. The bed was very comfortable and we slept soundly.

Our room window faced neighboring buildings instead of the street. You could see the mountains over the tops of the buildings in town. Although not a great view, this was insignificant when you consider the views around town and just outside of town. It would have been nice to sit out on the balcony that a couple of rooms have access to, so we will consider those rooms for a future visit.

The hotel is located very conveniently on Blair Street within walking distance of just about everything.

We ate a full breakfast downstairs in the restaurant every morning before we went exploring. It wasn't free but it was fresh, hot, delicious, and very satisfying...and worth every penny. One morning though, I tried some kind of green chili burrito and it had way too much cheese and green chili for me. The people who waited on us were all very friendly and laid back. They often gave us advice about what to see and do around town.

All of the rooms are on the second floor and accessible via one long flight of stairs. The first story is perhaps 12-14 feet high so the climb to the second floor can leave you winded when you get to the top, especially if you are carrying luggage. Once you get used to the altitude it gets a little easier.

They fixed the deadbolt lock on the door since I was here in May (Thanks!).

Our only complaints were:

- When the room was cleaned they didn't refill/restock items that needed it. The hand soap dispenser was empty the whole three days we were there even though we mentioned it downstairs after the first day. They did not restock toilet paper until we were completely out even though I mentioned that as well. And they did not restock the in-room coffee supplies until after I asked them to.
- The TV remote worked but not very well. The power button did not work at all so you had to turn it on and off at the TV.

In spite of any complaints, We left with a favorable opinion of The Bent. The clean, comfortable room, mostly great breakfasts, friendly hosts, and convenient location make it hard to beat. We would definitely recommend The Bent to others and will consider staying here again upon return.

Room Tip: The rooms with balcony access might cost a little more, but it seems like it would be worth it. We will probably choose one of those next time.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jim M
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed for one night in this picturesque hotel, and very much liked the well preserved ''western" atmosphere of both the hotel and the small town of Silverton. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean, the bed was ok, but we regretted there was no (small) refrigerator. During the night there was no noise from outside but this may have been associated with the fact that we were the only (!) guests - June 12 - that night.
We had a tasteful steak in the restaurant, and enjoyed some Durango brewn bottles of beers, after being a little surprised that in the (beautiful!) saloon no draft beer was available. The cost-quality balance was just ok, but the owners should be reluctant to increase the rates. After all, it was a very pleasant experience and we can recommend this unique hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank h_vanbuuren
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This historic hotel was charming by the very historic nature of the property. Our room overlooked the town with a balcony which was an added bonus. We would stay here again but would post a couple of recomendations to the owners. We had one coffee mug both nights we stayed rather than a standard two and no hair dryer (without asking). The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. Oh, we held the room with AmEx but the owner told us she wouldn't/couldn't take it. Bump the room price a buck or two and take AmEx, please. Again, the price was right so I suppose we shouldn't complain nor is this posting intended to do so -- but merely make a couple of recomendations to bump it up a notch. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Give it a try.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David F
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. I was running late and called them. They made arrangements so I could go right to my room no matter what time I arrived.

The room was well-decorated, comfortable, and clean. The rooms are upstairs but I didn't mind the climb up the stairwell because it helped me get acclimated to the high altitude. The bathroom was roomy and clean. The bed was comfortable.

I had a full hot breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. The food was hot and delicious. I liked the fact that they didn't overcook the scrambled eggs (a mistake I see a lot). The person who waited on me was very friendly and relaxed. I had a lot of room to spread my gadgets out, looking at photos and videos I had taken of the area.

Only a couple of minor issues. The deadbolt lock on the door didn't seem to fit tight. I'm not sure if it or the screws that attached it weren't the right size. I tried to tighten the screws myself but they didn't budge. But I have to say that I never felt unsafe at any time. There is an external door that provides access to all of the rooms and it is protected by a code. And the deadbolt did actually lock and unlock after a little wiggling. I mostly add this comment as a reminder to them to fix it.

The room was a little warm at times but that was easily fixed by opening a window or turning on the ceiling fan.

I would definitely recommend this place and stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: The Western room did not have access to the balcony, which overlooked the street. I didn't feel like I needed it since I was sightseeing outside the hotel. If you want to sit and enjoy the activities in the street during the day (there are a lot) then you might want to get one of those rooms for a little more. Silverton is teaming with activity on the streets during the day.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jim M
Reviewed 4 June 2012

After climbing a steep set of stairs in stuffy hot air, we entered the hall and then opened the door to our room, the Victorian--unbelievably welcoming, fresh, tasteful, and as finely appointed as the best of bed and breakfasts. Even better, the balcony. Drenched in sunshine, it confronts splendiferous scenery. When we caught our breath, we looked down into Blair Street, whose very width bespeaks another era (wide enough to turn a team of horses and cart or carriage, we were told). You can watch the people (not many of them), look out at the town, or return to the awe-inspiring mountains to which old mine tailings and abandoned mine structures add interest.
Not least, not last, we turned to the bathroom: not only spotless, but entirely new, gleaming, and extremely comforting.
The over-all effect of the room and Silverton together is irresistably calming and soothing. There isn't any hustle or bustle. Just peace and beauty, rarified cool clear air, and sights and sounds (the train whistle) of yesteryear.
Would certainly return!! Would stay longer!!!
The restaurant was closed the night we stayed. Unfortunate, because we didn't find the food at other establishments much to crow about. Breakfast at the Brown Bear was good, and we'd give that place more attention next time, as well as the restaurant at the Bent Elbow.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family