“Great experience!”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Silverton
Fayetteville, AR
“Great experience!”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Having never been to Silverton, we didn't know what to expect. Based on reviews of this hotel, we called ahead to see if there were any rooms available not realizing that our visit was a week before this sleepy little mountain town shuts down. We had our choice of rooms as we were literally the ONLY guests in the hotel. We had a room with a private bath facing the street. The room was clean and quiet (obviously!), the bed was comfy, and the man running the hotel was very friendly and helpful. Although we talked to him quite a bit, unfortunately, I don't think we ever got his name. He recommended the restaurant downstairs from the hotel and told us there was live entertainment at the Silverton Brewery down the street. We did eat at the Teller House Restaurant and were very pleasantly surprised! My husband loved his steak and my sherry chicken was oh-so-yummy! Not a fancy salad, mostly iceberg, but surprisingly fresh especially considering the remoteness of this town. The waitress was super friendly. She is originally from Silverton and we loved hearing about the town from her. Also, surprising was the nice selection of wines. My only suggestion for the restaurant is to tone down the overhead lights as it gave it a little of a cafeteria feel.
We ran into the hotel manager out on the town pretty late that evening and I joked with my husband that I bet he didn't have coffee ready for us in the morning. Well......he did! We loved this place!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carmen1981

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I stayed here three nights and enjoyed two breakfasts and a dinner here. I recommend both the hotel and the restaurant.

HOTEL: First night in a room with shared bath and remaining nights in a room with private bath. I found the rooms and baths very clean and comfortable. The decor is tastefully victorian, none of that overly frilly look. The staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel is conveniently located in the center of town.
Though I was a little concerned about whether the shared bath would be busy when I needed to take a shower, I had no problems. The women's shared bath is nicely appointed with the toilet, shower and sink all in separate areas to allow more flexibility with it's use. Coffee and tea is available most mornings. Free WIFI.

RESTAURANT: Great hearty, breakfasts. I had a pick your ingredients omlette one morning and another egg dish the second. Really fresh and tasty. Only recommendation would be to offer some lighter choices such as oatmeal.

Had dinner one night too. Enjoyed this also. Tried two other restaurants for breakfast and dinner during my stay--would recommend this restaurant over the others I sampled.

Room Tip: Rooms in the center of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Crowhollow
Cotati, California
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I didn't stay here but wished I had after staying at the Grand Imperial. However, I couldn't find their restaurant listed under restaurants so I'm doing my review here. I had dinner and breakfast here and really enjoyed it. I have to say, the Chili Verde is the best I've had anyplace. The salsa was also phenomenal. The staff was very friendly. the service was good. The prices were reasonable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank benjer71
Alhambra, California
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Okay, so I'm not the biggest fan of lace and other victorian stuff; however I really loved this place. Our trip was mainly a camping adventure, but after a couple days of camping at Mesa Verde and a long car drive. . . we decided to stay in a hotel, in Silverton, before heading to our next camping destination.

The Teller House is 100 years old, but totally refurbished. It's the traditional set up with the hotel above the cafe. The refurbish fits every aspect of the building, and the town; and isn't victorian just for the sake of being so. We stayed in a spacious, double queen bedroom with a shared bathroom. The hotel is very clean, the beds are comfy and the bathrooms are very big, with great water pressure. There are no TV's in the rooms, but there's a shared lounge to watch TV; which is a great place to chat with other travelers. They have nice cosy white robes and big fluffy towels. But what really makes Teller House such a great place, is the staff. Everyone was very welcoming and gave us a lot of information about the hotel and surrounding area.

A few notable details:
In the main hall/reception area a couple of framed pieces of wall paper, with sketches of people, children and animals. These illustrations were unearthed during the renovation. An unedited little peak into the past—love the illustration of the woman putting the baby on a pissing pot; what an odd subject to illustrate.

Great big skylights, above the staircase and the woman's bathroom . . . probably in the men's too. These had been covered up for years and have been uncovered and restored—beautiful.

In the cafe, behind the bar, another picture of the place before the referb—1970's with macramé plant hanging, wood paneling and all—what a difference!

In the cafe you can get a traditional California green burrito—yummy.

Room Tip: They have rooms with and without bathrooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank OrangeGurl
Bel Air, Md
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I booked this hotel after viewing other TA reviews, seeing the lovely pictures on line and knowing that it was located on the main street in town (there is only ONE paved street in town!). The hotel was easy to locate with convenient parking. It was however difficult to lug 4 suitcases up the flight of steps to the check in area/rooms. About suitcase #3 a nice man who worked there did offer to help. A different man checked us in, who when I inquired, was not the owner. He was pleasant but not overly friendly. That was the last we saw of anyone. We were told by the man who worked there that if we needed anything, to go down to the restaurant and ask. We tried that..the restaurant was open but void of patrons or staff. We were in room 9, which was very charming. If you need large bedrooms/bathrooms (there were 4 of us with 1 bag each), travel heavy, or need assistance of any kind, this is not the place. Despite having luggage on chairs/floor, the bedding was comfy with a cooling ceiling fan, and the 4 of us managed. This hotel is on main street which did get very noisy at night. There was a bench direclty across the street, in front of one of the shops where several drunken young people decided to hang out until the wee hours. Bring your silicone ear plugs..foam rubber ones will not do!
There was a cold water decanter available, and considering one of my kids had elevation sickness this was a plus. There is a small room that has a TV in it (none of the posted channels matched what was actually on the TV) where you can get coffee/tea/hot coca in the am-big deal. Our cost was about 185$ for 1 night, which was the 2nd highest price only to a downtown Santa Fe location. Yes the hotel was quaint, but I really would have liked better service and to get a little more bang for my buck.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Famontherun
Phoenix
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Rudy and his staff were exceptional! HAPPY 50th, RUDY! Will stay here from now on. The food is great! Stays open long after the sidewalks roll up.

Room Tip: Romantic setting AND centrally located.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ravenklaws
arizona
Reviewed 30 January 2011

This is definitely where we'll stay again next trip. Knowledgeable hosts about all kinds of things to do around Silverton that we wouldn't have otherwise known about. Loved it!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank zumatraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silverton
Grand Imperial Hotel
The Victorian Inn
The Victorian Inn
#5 of 11 in Telluride
The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House

Been to Teller House? Share your experiences!