“Rent Another Condo Instead”
Review of Viceroy Snowmass

Viceroy Snowmass
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
GreenLeadersGold level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Rent Another Condo Instead”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I love to ski. For the past 25 years we have always spent a week during late February or early March at one of the Colorado ski resorts. Snowmass, near Aspen, has been our favorite. We generally rent a condo at one of the larger complexes such as The Enclave, Chamonix or Woodrun Place. The individual units are always attractive, well kept, roomy and nicely decorated by their owners.

This year was different. We had an opportunity to attend a meeting in Snowmass in early February and spend our free time skiing. We jumped at the chance. The meeting headquarters was the Viceroy Hotel and all of the lectures and social events were located there. We rented a 2 bedroom unit which we shared with friends who were also attending the meeting. Everything is expensive in Snowmass/Aspen, so the steep daily rate of $595.00 (special conference rate) did not surprise us. We had expected a suite with nice bedrooms, a spacious living room where we could congregate and an equipped kitchen where we could prepare breakfast and light meals when we did not want to go out to eat.

The Viceroy met some of our expectations. We were disappointed with regard to others.

Pros:
1. Convenient. Great location with easy access to base village and Snowmass mall. Ski in/ski out.
2. Helpful and friendly staff.
3. Shuttle to airport and to locations in Snowmass.
4. Hotel is clean and well kept.

Cons:
1. Suites are small. In ours, one bedroom was small and the second bedroom was tiny. The living room was too small for 4 people to comfortably relax at the same time. Kitchen space was also inadequate and poorly equipped. There was very limited storage space, something which is essential for skiers. Decorations were not attractive. The entire suite was dark and not friendly. I guess That "sterile" would be a good term to describe it.
2. Price gouging. A daily $30 charge was added for resort services, many of which we did not use. $25/day for parking. My wife scheduled a 1 hour no frills massage: $165 plus a mandatory 20% tip ($198 total).
3. Expensive restaurant with mediocre food and slow service.

We enjoyed many aspects of our stay but not others. The overall experience was good but we expected much better. Consider other possible places to stay before making your reservation at the Viceroy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DoctorPaul
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback on your recent visit with us. It is only through such input that we can continue to improve so as to ensure the ongoing satisfaction for our guests. Clearly there were some very basic issues that we fell short on during this visit. I am unhappy with the experience we have created for you and wish to create some way forward to erase these and develop more appropriate memories. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest conscience to discuss further.

Regional Vice President & General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed at Viceroy Snowmass this January with my husband and two daughters, aged 10 and 12. My husband slipped and fell in the lobby. The accident caused him lesions in two ribs. The lobby is the passage for skiers who want to take the transfer to the village ski classes, the floor is polished and slippery, especially when wearing ski boots. In addition, there is no sign warning guests that they should take care when walking there. The General Manager is trying to persuade us that the floor was specifically designed to increase traction but we are both architects and interior designers and know that unfortunately this is not the case (just look at the hotel pictures and you can see how it shines).

At the day of the accident, we went 3 times to the front desk trying to reach the General Manager but were told that he was busy, after 2 hours they told us that he had left. The next day we tried again but the hotel staff told us he was out skiing all day long. The hotel didn’t give us any assistance at the moment of the accident nor afterwards. After several complaints, the concierge sent an Advil to our room and charged 2 dollars to our final bill. On the third day we checked out and came back home.

Since then, my husband sent several e-mails to the General Manager trying to understand the hotel’s conduct, but the only answer we had till now, after 30 days, is that he is trying to reach him by phone because he prefers to talk to him instead of writing an e-mail. This is very frustrating and overall disappointing, not something I would expect of a hotel like Viceroy.

5 Thank ferabs
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback on your recent visit with us. I apologize that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations as we strive to create the most positive experiences possible. It is only through such input that we can continue to improve so as to ensure the ongoing satisfaction for our guests.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally to discuss our shortfalls and glean your perspective on our process improvement. If you would be so kind as to give me your contact number and an appropriate time, it would be my pleasure to call you.

Regional Vice President and General Manager
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Due to the very slippery floor, I fell down in the lobby, on my way out of the Hotel. I was taking my youngest daughter to the Snowmass Village transfer when the accident happened. Such accident caused me back injuries that have been restricting my movements ever since.

As an architect in Brazil, I am familiar with the various types of materials to be used as floor covering and I understand that the material used in the Hotel lobby is totally inadequate. Considering that the lobby is also passage for many skiers who want to take the transfer to the village, the material used is very slippery, especially when wearing ski boots. In addition, there was no sign warning the guests about the slippery risks at the time.

I did not receive any assistance from the Hotel staff at the moment of the accident. Fortunately, I was helped by two guests who were there at the time. Even later, when I was already in my room, despite my attempts to contact the Hotel management, I did not receive any additional assistance.

Based on my doctor’s report and on the additional medical exams that I was submitted in Brazil, including x-ray and tomography, besides the existing bruises and the pain that I have been suffering, I had lesions in my 9th and 10th vertebrates.

My doctor restricted me from my professional activities for the period of three weeks, which has caused great loss. In addition, I was not authorized to practice any physical activity and was recommended to avoid sharp movements.

The conduct of the Hotel in the current case has been totally unacceptable. Hotel staff acted negligent and I was promised to be contacted by the Hotel’s General Manager, but after more than 30 days, I have no answer yet!

5 Thank Fredbenedetti
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Mr Benedetti

Thank you for your feedback.

I am very sorry that you fell while wearing your Ski Boots in our lobby. The surface we have is specifically designed to increase traction and was purpose specced by the interior designers of the development. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further on this.

As you know I have reached out to you a number of times by phone, both while you we here and subsequently. I am very happy to speak with you, as I have said on my voice mails, and welcome the opportunity to do so again. Please advise your preferred time and I will contact you again accordingly.

I look forward to opportunity to discuss your issues and trust you are improving physically

Sincerely
Regional Vice President &
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Aspen/Snowmass. We were here for a medical conference and a week of skiing. It helped that it was the best snow of the Century and we had 30 inches of snow, but the Viceroy couldn't have been better. The location was a little secluded but the hotel shuttle couldn't have made it more convenient. Cleaning staff was in the room twice a day, keeping everything clean and turn down was a nice touch. We had a bedroom with a furnished kitchen and a den. The hotel drove us to the grocery and liquor store to stock up for the week. The ski valet was incredible. They would help put on and take off your boots everyday. And your skis and poles were in the snow ready to take off down the hill to a private hotel lift on Assay Hill. The food in the restaurant was excellent at every meal. You are a shuttle ride from the shopping at eating at base camp and the village mall. The spa was a true oasis! We got snowed in when the airport was shut down and the hotel was very accommodating. There were people from all over the world which made it a lot of fun to people watch. We love this hotel and will definitely be back!

2 Thank Jfree11
What great timing you had with your recent visit to the Viceroy Snowmass with the massive amount of snow we have received here, so happy to hear you were able to enjoy it during your conference/ski trip. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your stay and how much you enjoyed your time here. We can’t wait to welcome you back!

All the Best,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I had never stayed at a Viceroy before and was looking forward to the stay. Overall it's a fantastic location at the base of Snowmasss mountain. With the ski valet at the back entrance of the hotel, and being situated right on the slopes, it's really hard to beat. And if you are intermediate skier and are traveling with a group of friends or family, its a great option.

We stayed in a one-bedroom suite facing the slopes. On the plus side - it was well furnished with a king sized bed in a small bedroom area, a small living room area and a small round table for dining or reading by the window. The bathroom is very large and well designed. It also included a kitchenette that was very small yet super efficient, a fireplace that was exposed to the bedroom and living room, and a washer dryer.

The 2 room drawbacks were that the doors to the bedroom and bathroom were awkwardly placed and it was hard to navigate from the bedroom into the bathroom or from the living room area to the bathroom. If someone is staying in the pull out sofa, they have to walk into the bedroom for bathroom access. Additionally, storage/closet space was extremely limited, but there are pull out drawers under the master bed.

The food/service in the hotel restaurant, Eight K, was fantastic. And overall everyone aimed to please. The spa was nice and the workout room had decent equipment. But it is located on the bottom floor and I prefer a view of something or a window when doing cardio and it was a bit like being in a cave. Service at the front desk from check-in to check out was average and nothing beyond what one would expect at a Hilton or other 4 star property. The 2 surprises were the $30 per night resort fee that included internet, ski valet and gym access, plus the $25 per night valet parking fee. Both steep all things considered.

Snowmass is definitely quiet and the hotel is small with limited activity at night. Yes, it was a nice property and overall I would go back if I am with family or a group for the right price. But I would probably choose to stay in Aspen where there were more things to do during the day and at night.

Room Tip: Request high floor and slope side views
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brysal
Welcome to the Viceroy! We are delighted that you were able to visit our ski-in, ski-out resort in Snowmass Village as your first Viceroy experience. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room amenities, restaurant and spa facilities. We trust we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Snowmass and the Viceroy very soon.

Regards,

Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This well located, ski in ski out condo hotel is a great luxury choice. The Rooms are nice and big with lots of skier oriented touches (washer dryers in the room, humidifiers, bedside water etc) . The facility has all you need with ski rental and valet, easy access to the mountain, two decent restaurants, massage , hot tub etc. the only knock is that the staff while really really nice and friendly , were a step or two behind. They forgot to clean our room one day. After fifteen minutes waiting for our check in an empty restaurant we had to track down our waitress and while we were greeted at the airport, the staff disappeared and totally confused the pick up.

That said, this is a great option.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tally11111
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the facility and amenities of the hotel and were able to experience our ski-in, ski-out location. Our apologies for the mix up at the airport and service in your room, we trust will have another opportunity to welcome you back for an even better experience in the very near future.

Best,

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 January 2014

For the past four years we have made the trip our to Aspen/Snowmass in January for a long weekend of skiing with good friends. Every year we choose to come back to Viceroy for the outstanding service, beautiful accommodations, and convenience of being back to be right on the mountain (yet away from the massive crowds of people at Snowmass Village). The Viceroy is slightly separated from Snowmass Village (but does provide free transportation to/from) and has it's own chairlift up the gondola for their guest. It's so nice to be able to be away from the super busy and very crowded areas of the base of the village. Very easy access to and from the mountain. The hotel is beautiful and very Colorado-ish with dark warm colors and with amazing views of the mountains. The spa is to die for and we always make sure we make a trip down there for some treatments before our stay is over. Every day after skiing, we head out to the pool/hot tub to relax with some cocktails! The pool area is great and the staff always knows the perfect drinks for us to enjoy after a long day on the slopes. We usually stay in a two-bedroom suite, but this year we decided on the three-bedroom, which was fabulous! Can't say enough nice things about this hotel and we can't wait for our next annual trip and stay with Viceroy Snowmass!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NateM5
We can’t wait to welcome you back for your next trip out to Snowmass and the Viceroy hotel. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with fellow travelers and for truly being an ambassador of the Viceroy brand with your continued loyalty. We welcome the opportunity to greet you again in the very near future.

Warmest Regards,

The St. Regis Aspen Resort
The Limelight Hotel
Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#1 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Aspen Meadows Resort
Aspen Meadows Resort
#4 of 34 in Aspen

Been to Viceroy Snowmass? Share your experiences!