My wife and I love to ski. For the past 25 years we have always spent a week during late February or early March at one of the Colorado ski resorts. Snowmass, near Aspen, has been our favorite. We generally rent a condo at one of the larger complexes such as The Enclave, Chamonix or Woodrun Place. The individual units are always attractive, well kept, roomy and nicely decorated by their owners.
This year was different. We had an opportunity to attend a meeting in Snowmass in early February and spend our free time skiing. We jumped at the chance. The meeting headquarters was the Viceroy Hotel and all of the lectures and social events were located there. We rented a 2 bedroom unit which we shared with friends who were also attending the meeting. Everything is expensive in Snowmass/Aspen, so the steep daily rate of $595.00 (special conference rate) did not surprise us. We had expected a suite with nice bedrooms, a spacious living room where we could congregate and an equipped kitchen where we could prepare breakfast and light meals when we did not want to go out to eat.
The Viceroy met some of our expectations. We were disappointed with regard to others.
1. Convenient. Great location with easy access to base village and Snowmass mall. Ski in/ski out.
2. Helpful and friendly staff.
3. Shuttle to airport and to locations in Snowmass.
4. Hotel is clean and well kept.
1. Suites are small. In ours, one bedroom was small and the second bedroom was tiny. The living room was too small for 4 people to comfortably relax at the same time. Kitchen space was also inadequate and poorly equipped. There was very limited storage space, something which is essential for skiers. Decorations were not attractive. The entire suite was dark and not friendly. I guess That "sterile" would be a good term to describe it.
2. Price gouging. A daily $30 charge was added for resort services, many of which we did not use. $25/day for parking. My wife scheduled a 1 hour no frills massage: $165 plus a mandatory 20% tip ($198 total).
3. Expensive restaurant with mediocre food and slow service.
We enjoyed many aspects of our stay but not others. The overall experience was good but we expected much better. Consider other possible places to stay before making your reservation at the Viceroy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Viceroy Snowmass is the crown jewel of Snowmass Village, Colorado. Designed by Jean-Michel-Gathy of Denniston International, the resort is environmentally conscious through responsible choices of finishes and materials, and a community leader in green operations and guest service offerings. The resort's rustic sophistication provides exceptional comfort and warmth, for family and friends to gather and create lasting, indelible memories. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Viceroy Snowmass reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viceroy Snowmass Hotel Snowmass Village