“Terrible Experience!”

Above It All Balloon Company
Ranked #2 of 2 Tours in Snowmass Village
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Above It All Balloon Aspen offers scenic, sunrise, champagne hot air balloon tours of the majestic Rocky Mountains in the Roaring Fork Valley near Aspen/Snowmass, CO. Our flight depart daily at sunrise from the Snowmass Town Park in Snowmass Village. Our pilots are 20+ year FAA licensed pilots with impeccable safety records. We can accommodate groups from 2 to 25+. Call today to reserve your spot!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My family finally afforded to be able to go on a balloon trip in Snowmass since they seemed to have good reviews... Wrong! The crew was rude to my kids when they wanted a closer look at the ballon when they inflated it. The "captain" was an old man who was a smart mouth and wouldn't stop talking about how great Texas was..... Not just that he kept spitting over the side in front of my wife and sprayed me!! Once we got back to the ground the captain started yelling at the crew and none of them seemed to know what they were doing... The brunch was ok, the other customers didn't seem stoked about the flight either. It was a waste of money and time! Don't fly with these guys!

2  Thank Husky B
Bruce W, Owner at Above It All Balloon Company, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Husky B,

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of our business. We are very sorry to hear that you and your family couldn't find a way to enjoy anything other than our brunch (the chocolate covered strawberries are especially good). The views of the spectacular Rocky Mountains from a balloon are something everyone should experience at least once in a lifetime. Perhaps if you grew up here, that view is not as impressive to you as it is to most everyone else. I live here too, yet I never tire of the area's beauty.

We apologize for your kids' experience with our crew. Balloons are inflated with two large fans placed at the mouth opening. It is magical to see how it grows from a small pile of fabric to a colorful globe, seven stories high, in a matter of minutes. The inflation fans are, by far, the most dangerous piece of equipment we use, and they are rather loud. If your children got too close to these fans, unaccompanied by an adult, the crew holding the mouth of the balloon open may have asked them to stay clear of the fans for their safety. They would have had to speak loudly to be heard over the fans. Our guests, adults and children alike, are always welcome to enjoy and photograph the process of inflating the balloon and even assist with the inflation, if they desire. But they do need to be briefed on safety prior to getting too close to the equipment.

Once aloft, the pilot uses the winds moving at different speeds and directions at different altitudes to navigate the balloon to a safe landing area. While aloft, to check the winds below, a pilot will frequently spit and watch it fall in order to judge the speed and direction of the winds closer to the surface. This is commonplace in ballooning. We jokingly call it a spit-o-meter, and we usually explain what we are doing, and why, so that our guests don't view it as rude, crude or socially unacceptable. A pilot will spit frequently (kids often like to help) as the balloon is descending for a landing so as to ensure an accurate approach and a safe landing. I'm sorry if your wife was offended by this or if you found yourself in the line of fire. I will ask this pilot to re-calibrate his spit-o-meter more frequently in the future, as they are finicky instruments.

All of our pilots are highly experienced with thousands of hours flying balloons around the world. Unfortunately, we have yet to discover the fountain of youth, so with experience comes age. If you would prefer to fly with a younger, less experienced pilot, we are happy to recommend another company.

Our crew are also highly experienced. Most average 10 or more years in ballooning, though we do try to mix in a few younger, stronger backs for the heavy lifting (a balloon envelope can weigh 500 - 600 pounds and the gondolas are even heavier). Their job is to ensure a safe completion of your journey in the skies. Despite your perceptions, I'd be willing to bet that they had the balloon deflated, packed and loaded before you could finish your post-flight champagne brunch (we're back to those delicious chocolate covered strawberries again...they are good...be sure to save one or two for the crew, they work hard).

Folks, if you're still reading at this point, get out and enjoy life. Life it too short to dwell on negativity. If you read some of Husky B's other reviews, you'll see a common theme. This isn't what we were put on this Earth for. Get out and go ballooning...or rafting, hiking, biking, fly-fishing or whatever other activities in our area make you happy. If you do choose to go ballooning, which we hope you will, we here at Above It All Balloon Company are committed to providing you with a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience as is reflected in the majority of our other reviews.

Soft and Safe Landings,

Bruce W.
Above It All Balloon Company

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My Birthday balloon ride was a highlight of our trip to Colorado! What a beautiful way to start the day, gently floating over streams, deer, elk, and other wildlife and then watching the sun come up over the valley. I would recommend it for anyone wanting to see beautiful scenery in a new way. Bruce and Pam do a great job and it felt like I was in good hands from beginning to end. Thanks for a wonderful experience.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The most breathtaking and memorable experience I have ever done and to add the beautiful scenery of Aspen, it added even more value to the whole event. If there is only one attraction you do when in Aspen during the winter season, then this has to be it. Until you are up in the air, you just can not explain the feeling!

1  Thank Zoe8674
Reviewed 22 January 2014

It was a great experience doing the hot balloon ride in winter! IT WAS THE MOST INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My mother is an amazing woman and since her birthday was coming up... My sisters and I wanted to surprise her with something awesome. I started asking her about HER BUCKET list.. what she wanted to do...and to my surprise.. One of the items was a hot air balloon ride!! I called and talked to Pam and Bruce and scheduled a ride for me, my daughter and the birthday girl! Getting up at 5 am is not something many of use to, but well worth it. From the moment we stepped out of the car... the fun began. Captain Bubba is a charactor all on his own with an expertice like no other pilot I know. It was amazing to watch the sunrise as well as see all the wild life.... elk, coyotes, deer and a bear. THis is a class A company folks!!