“Stonebridge is a comfortable and good deal in Aspen/Snowmass”

Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Reviewed 18 November 2008

When my husband and I traveled to Colorado this past July, we expected the part of our stay in Aspen/Snowmass to be the priciest portion, but we were pleasantly surprised. We stayed at the Stonebridge Inn in Snowmass Village and found it to be cozy, pleasant and have helpful staff, nice furnishings. Our room was comfortable as well. The price of the room was a good deal for the quality of the hotel. The proximity of the hotel to great hiking on Snowmass mountain (with superb views of Mt. Daly) as well as the shuttle to Maroon Bells was great as well. We will most definately book the Stonebridge again if heading back to the Aspen/Snowmass area.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aajjk

Reviewed 30 September 2008

I live only about 4 hours away in Boulder, CO. My best girlfriend, whom I had not seen for a few years, came into town, from Annapolis, MD, especially for this weekend.

We stayed one night on Sept. 27, 2008. I booked our room directly with the hotel, after checking rates at various travel booking sites, and got a slightly better deal than anything else I saw, about 5% better. I paid $103 before taxes, in advance, as I was booking it only 2 weeks before arrival.

It had been some time since I had stayed overnight in Snowmass, so I wasn't quite sure where the hotel was located. Stupidly, I'd forgotten the name of the hotel and thought I had booked in to The Snowmass Inn. But after checking at the front desk for my reservation, and being told I wasn't in their system, the front desk clerk there asked if I wanted to check the phone book for some of the other inns in the area and maybe the name would jump out at me. Snowmass Village is pretty small so the list wasn't too long. Almost immediately I saw the name of where we were booked and was told it was right next door, just down the hill about 100 ft.

Time of arrival was about 4:45pm on Saturday. The hotel parking was free, always a bonus, and right across the road from the lobby entrance. We unloaded our small bags, walked across the stone bridge (hence the name of the inn), under the over-hanging canopy, and walked into the 4th floor lobby. The hotel is built on a hill.

The lobby was small, rustic feeling, which is normal for this area, clean and well kept. The front desk staff were very friendly and efficient. I was addressed by my name with a smile. This is so much better treatment than I ever get in most Aspen hotels!

Complaint and Complement #1: The music blaring from the bar/restaurant, right next to the front desk, was way too loud. I mentioned I was having a hard time hearing the clerk, and he motioned with his head to another staffer who immediately called the bartender to turn the music down.

I was given our keys to a room on the 5th floor and informed the bar was open and restaurant food service began at 5 pm. The elevator was just up the ramp a little, on the left, but as our floor was only one flight up, we took the stairs.

Complaint #2: Open entering the 5th floor hall, we were hit with suffocating 80+ temps.

We proceeded to our room and upon checking out the room, we found we couldn't find the over the sink light. I called the front desk clerk who said he'd come up right away to check it out and he did! Compliment 32.

While waiting for him, I checked out the view and found we were right over the lobby overhang, so no view and the smoking area was right under us too. I again called the desk clerk and was told they'd see if they could find something else, but as they were fully booked, it might not be possible.

When the first desk clerk arrived to show us where the light switch for the vanity light was, I was still on the phone about the room location. I said I'd talk to this man and he was sure he could find us something else. Within 10 minutes, he was back at our door with 2 alternatives. The 1st room, one flight up only had 1 bed, and the same view, being it was right above our current room. The 2nd choice was on the 3rd floor with not much view either, but it was on the back side of the hotel and still pretty, and much quieter too. So we took it.

We had wonderful drinks and dinner in the hotel at the Artisian Restaurant and Bar, as were were tired and were planning an early morning check-out. The food was good, portions were generous and the prices reasonable for the area. Breakfast though was only so-so, but it was complimentary, so I couldn't complain. A few cold cereals, yogurts, hard-boiled eggs (which I hate), apples, bananas, coffee, o.j., and I think banana bread.

Complaint #3: Since it was too warm in our room, before going to bed, I opened the window about 3 inches for some fresh air and turned on the quietest ceiling fan. It made no noise at all! I want one of those myself. About midnight, I woke up feeling cold. I closed the window and turned on the heat to 65F. This is where the worst of our stay lies. The heater would make this loud BANG sound every time it kicked on. At first I thought some child in the room next to us had fallen out of bed and was kicking the heater in their room, but after hearing it for 3 hours do the same thing, on and off, and getting no sleep during that time, I figured it might be the heater. So I turned the thermostat off again and it stopped. I only managed to get another 2 hours of sleep after that. So much for getting up early for our check-out.

When I went to check out, I told the desk clerk about the heater bagging and that I hadn't much sleep because of it. He only offered to discount the room another 20%. I would have preferred a larger discount, but I wasn't in any mood to haggle due to my tired state and need to leave, so I let it go. He also said he'd tell maintenance to check it out.

All in all, I was ok with the hotel, but not too sure if I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank J-Lvs-2Travel
Reviewed 6 September 2008

Stayed for 2 nights in a Mountain View Suite--Rm. 601 for about $160/night with AARP discount(10%). We were shown several room options (it is low season and the Inn was virtually deserted upon arival on a Thursday, but fills on weekends). All rooms looked sufficient and decent, but I must have a balcony for my mountain experience.

Inn is clean and well-kept. Friendly staff. Carpet in room has a few stains on it, and overall the Inn's carpet could either use a good cleaning or replacing. The area cabinets in the bath area could also use updating or replacing, but I suspect it gets alot of use during the winter months. Same goes for the moulding/trim. Bed is very nice. Ceiling fan above the bed with an extra fan as there is no AC (didn't need either as we left the balcony windows open at night for the cool mountain air). Construction is everywhere and it seems every hotel is adjacent to some construction. The noise was tolerable. Breakfast includes hard boiled eggs, good cereal and yogurt selection, fresh fruit, plus the other usual stuff. Pool, spa, and changing rooms poolside are well kept and clean. Both pool and spa are very large. Fitness room has 1 treadmill, elipitical, and recumbant(good brands); has a multi-use weight tower.

Inn is 2 blocks to the Snomass Mall, the main shopping/tourist area of town. You have to walk uphill to this (or drive). The lifts are not operating and everything at the Mall closes up at 5pm since it is low season. 2-3 restaurants were open for dinner and the Inn's own restaurant has surprisingly good food for competitive price($12 for sandwiches, $6 for side dishes, $13-15 for salads). There are several properties closer to the Mall, but those don't seem to get good reviews on TripAdvisor (Pokolodi, Wildwood, and Silvertree). The Snomass Mountain Chalet is literally right next to the lifts/Mall and appeared to be a decent place with good reviews. I would wonder about noise coming from the Lift area however as it would be a high pedestrian traffic area.

Overall, yes, I would stay here again

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank wrightpsy
Reviewed 18 August 2008

We recently stayed at the Stonebridge Inn for 2 nights. I received a good rate bidding through Priceline and overall we were happy with the hotel. The staff was young, but helpful and courteous. Plenty of maps and pamphlets available in the lobby. There were a couple issues which I'll address in a minute.

We liked the layout of the room, which was good size. High ceilings, ceiling fan (no AC), very comfortable king bed, and a refrigerator . We found the room to be clean and relaxing. I'm never crazy about paying for the internet, the rate here is $10 for a 24 hour period. There are free use of computers in the lobby.

The rest of the hotel was easy to navigate. Nice bar area that led to an outdoor deck. Decent size outdoor pool. I thought the hotel blended in fine with the other condominiums in Snowmass Village. It was also a short walk to the mall area.

The first evening we arrived with rainy weather, so we stayed in and ate at the Artisan Restaurant on site. In fact, the seating area is connected to the bar. The food was somewhat pricey, but was a satisfying meal. I had the NY Strip Steak, and my wife had the Halibut. There are sandwiches on the menu if one wants to downsize their meal and cost.

The complimentary continental breakfast is definitely recommended. They had an assortment of real fresh fruit that included cantaloupe, honey dew, grapefruit and oranges. All sliced for easy consumption. I enjoyed the selection of cereal. Finally a continental breakfast that has genuine granola cereal. Something different from the usual Kellogg's single servings. They also provided fresh breads including banana bread that was very good.

There were 3 issues I found with the Stonebridge. First, since there is no AC and the window is wide open at night, things can get a little noisy in the street. It's obvious that most have partaken in a few beverages. During our stay, AC really wasn't needed because the temps were comfortable. Second, there is only one elevator and it is slow. This can lead to congestion when checking out. We had to wait for it to come back a second time. The maids also use this elevator. Lastly, the universal weight machine in the exercise room was broken the entire time of our stay. No guarantee I would have used it, just throwing it out as an FYI. To add, that exercise room was small. It contained 3 pieces of cardio equipment and the broken universal.

I don't consider these major issues, our stay was a good one for the most part. If I had to pay rack rate, my score for the Stonebridge would have been 3 out of 5. I always factor in price when rating a hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank relayer
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We chose this place based on the TripAdvisor reviews, and paid $109 a night in mid-summer. It's a perfectly acceptable budget hotel, but doesn't remotely deserve the reviews it's received here.

Temperatures reached 100 degrees while we were there, which made the lack of air conditioning pretty miserable. We slept with no covers, the windows open, and the ceiling fan on high, which made it just about tolerable -- until 8am each morning, when construction activity began on the rooftop next door, and we were jolted out of bed by nail guns and hammering.

Lesson learned: if you're visiting during the summer, look for a place with air conditioning -- and stay away from Stonebridge.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Stonebridge Inn over July 4th weekend, and for the money and availability (or lack thereof) of hotels in the Aspen area, it provided a wonderful base for our weekend getaway.

For details, i booked off Expedia.com for $135 per night, not including taxes. Expedia was also offering a $25 gas charge card, which I'm still waiting to receive.

Rooms are quite nice (we stayed in 606), with interesting "ski-lodge" type decor, b&w old ski school photos, a lush, comfortable king-sized bed, fantastic views, and clean bathroom with good water pressure.

The caveat, as mentioned in other posts, is the lack of air conditioning, but even in July, I didn't feel the need for it.

Staff was friendly and accommodating, allowing us to check in early since we got there around noon. Breakfast was complimentary, and a nice surprise in terms of quality.

Just watch out for that early 10am checkout time. It really sneaks up on you!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2008

I stayed at the hotel for 8 nights. I had visited 2 years ago and was pleasantly surprised by the upgrades to the rooms. The room that I stayed in had recently been re-carpeted and the bath had been re-tiled and new granite countertops had been installed in the sink/dressing area. There was a small fridge, a small coffee maker and humidifier in the room. My request for a quiet room away from the ski slopes had been honored. For the most part my stay was quiet. There are guest laundry rooms on the 2nd floor if you need to do laundry. Breakfast is included in the room rate and I felt like the selections were varied and tasty. All of the employees I encountered were pleasant and helpful. The food at The Artisan Restaurant was tastier than I remembered on my last visit. The location with regards to skiing cannot be beat. The hotel is adjacent to the slopes, there are ski lockers conveniently located off of the lobby so that you don't have to drag your skis to your room. The only shortcoming I can identify is that the carpeting in the hallways needs to be replaced and perhaps the lobby bar area needs to be refreshed. I would not hesitate to stay at The Stonebridge Inn again. The Stonebridge is not elegant or showy but for me it is like coming home.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled solo
The Inn at Aspen
The Inn at Aspen
#11 of 35 in Aspen
Mountain Chalet Aspen

Been to Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel? Share your experiences!