“Excellent service! Great location! Needs an update!”

Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
colorado
“Excellent service! Great location! Needs an update!”
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Clean, quiet older hotel (which doesn't seem to be recently updated) with the best staff!

At the last minute, we decided to stay overnight in Snowmass after a bike race. After a quick look on Tripadvisor, I called the Stonebridge Inn. The reservation agent was very nice and answered all of my questions. For calling to book at the last minute, we were able to get a rate of $89 for a standard room with a king bed. I also paid an extra $15 for the breakfast buffet for two for the next morning; otherwise, it would have cost $12.95 each. (SAVE YOUR MONEY---see below.)

Parking was very easy and free as it was off season. The lobby was small and dark. It has an older decor with heavy wood and older pictures of skiiers as well as antique-looking skis hanging on the walls. (The ski lodge look.) It has a very small sitting area and does have one older computer available for free internet use (20 minute time limits). The front desk agents were young, but incredibly friendly and helpful. Check-in was quick. They were happy to answer my questions about finding a nearby pharmacy. They were also willing to show me some other rooms as I was asking if any of the rooms had HDTV.

Some random information: The hotel consists of both rooms and condos which are privately owned. (Yes, even the rooms are owned privately.) The hotel itself only owns about 15 of the rooms. The private owners are expected to keep the rooms/condos updated. Some don't, and these are rented last.

They did allow me to see a two bedroom/ two bath condo. It was definitely nicer than our room, and they were willing to give it to me for only $65 more per night. This particular condo was a good size, had decent decor, small bathrooms and bedrooms, and flat screen TVs in the living room and both bedrooms. (No HDTV though!) It also had a nice kitchen. We ended up sticking with the room.

The room was quite small and was in need of an update (even though the original reservation agent told me that all the rooms were newly updated!) The rustic log cabin decor with ship lap siding (one entire wall was covered in a very dark, wood) made the room seem even smaller. The window did open which was good as it was very warm in the room (no A/C); the ceiling fan helped, but it was still hot even though the day was only in the 60's. I guess this would be no problem in the winter months, but I would not recommend staying here in the summer if you like to sleep in a cool room.

The king-sized bed was fine. The TV offered several cable channels (an older TV with some of the channels being grainy). There was one nightstand with an alarm clock and a mini-fridge under the sink. An older looking pull-out sofa took up the rest of the room. The furniture in the room was definitely older and worn, but seemed clean. The bathroom sink was separated from the actual tub and toilet. The tub and toilet area was very small, but seemed to have newer tile and maybe a fresh coat of paint. The hotel is trying to be more eco-friendly by keeping refillable shampoo and conditioner bottles (not the usual small size that people take with them). I think this is a great idea, but you may want to bring your own bar of soap as the only one provided was a super small facial bar which was almost completely used by us in less than 24 hours.

The room was quiet even though we had connecting doors on each side of the room. Since we were there in off-season, we didn't see too many other guests around the hotel. The hallways were dark with slightly-stained, worn carpet. The elevator was small, but very fast.

The breakfast the next morning was a standard buffet with both hot and cold offerings: coffee/tea, packets of oatmeal, a little fruit, toast/bagels, french toast, potatoes, sausage/bacon, and a small amount of pastries. They also offered made-to-order eggs. I think this would be fine if it were complimentary, but if you are going to have to pay for it, I would recommend trying someplace else.

Although the hotel seems like it is in dire need of an update, I have to admit that we experienced some of the best customer service that we've had in a long time! Although the employees all seemed younger than usual, they were all incredibly friendly and helpful. The front desk workers gave me directions, showed me rooms, and even gave me a ride down the hill. They greeted me by name each time they saw me. The Artisan Cafe (the hotel restaurant) waitstaff were just as friendly and helpful. They greeted us by name, quickly refilled coffee and soda, and made our eggs promptly. Although we were there by ourselves for a short amount of time, I noticed they treated the other guests in just the same way. I even asked about a Sunday paper which they did not have. Not 5-10 minutes had gone by when another hotel staff person came to our table with a newspaper (he had gone down to the local convenience store and gotten one for me!)

Overall, the service was excellent, but the hotel itself might benefit from an update. You might get lucky with one of the condos or maybe there are rooms that are more updated. If you will take service over space/aesthetics, this hotel is great. For the money we spent, it was a great deal.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ckwrsr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Colorado, USA
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We stayed at the Stonebridge Labor day weekend for one night with a toddler and a baby. The staff were very helpful and attentive. The hotel wasn't too noisy although there was a big concert in town that night we didn't know about. If you plan to visit Snowmass over labor day just know there's always a big festival. The room was small for 2 adults and 2 little kids but they gave us a room with only 1 bed and a pullout which gave the kids room to roam. The breakfast buffet was adequate but the restaurant area is dated and too stuffy for kids really. We had to leave a night early because our baby was sick and the management didn't charge us for the unused night although they had the right to. Very friendly service!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We live in Colorado and were taking a mini road trip with visiting family. We were looking for an inexpensive option to highly expensive Aspen. I found this hotel through TripAdvisor and we all could not have been more pleased. It is only ten minutes to Aspen. The price was $134 per room out the door - including a full breakfast buffet with an omelet bar. The hotel was clean nd attractive, had a great pool/jacuzzi/workout room, and was centrally located in Snowmass to restaurants and shops. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and very pleasant. The grounds are beautiful. There is a free gondola that takes people between the upper and lower village areas and live music in the evening. There is also a free shuttle that takes people between Snowmass Village and Aspen, even well into the night. I would not hesitate recommeding the Stonebridge Inn and I would defintely go back!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank L2Y261
Westport, CT
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We are finishing up a week stay at the Stonebridge from 12/23-12/30. We have stayed at the Silvertree (big hotel) a few times, and also once at the Wildwood (which I do not recommend). I would say we were happy at the Stonebridge Inn. They provide a complimentary (tip- based) shuttle to and from Aspen Airport. The standard room is very nice. Service (before Christmas) was excellent--we left a list of minor issues with the front desk (such as squeaky bathroom door, need lightbulb, etc.) and it was all taken care of the first day. The room has a fridge, but there is no convenience store in Snowmass Village Mall (the liquor store sells a few essential items). I walked down to the Village Market (10 minutes) and took the Snowmass Bus back to the hotel. I used the laundry facilities on the second floor once--each machine is $1.75, but everything worked well. We had to pay $30 for a week's access to the hotel's wifi, but it worked well. The hotel is located about halfway between the new base area (with Sneaky's etc.) and the Snowmass Village Mall. It is an easy walk to the slopes; the ski locker is very convenient. It is a bit of a drag to have to walk up to the mall for dinner, but we highly recommend Il Poggio, and the Stew Pot is simple and good. We took the gondola down to Sneaky's Tavern one night, and it was very good. We took the bus into Aspen one night to see a movie and have dinner. The bus stop is right outside the hotel, and after 5pm comes every 30 minutes (15 and 45). It takes about 30 minutes and is free. We had dinner at Asie (very good) and then saw a movie at Isis around the corner. Back to the hotel. There is a complimentary breakfast buffet. Every day it had eggs, bacon, sausage, a pancake/blintz/waffle choice, fruit, cereal, baked goods, yogurt, etc. It was perfect for us. Before xmas, there were relatively few guests, the setting is bright and lovely, and the service was excellent. After the masses arrived, the staff had trouble keeping order during breakfast, but we managed. We had dinner at the Artisan Restaurant (downstairs) one night, and it was excellent. I recommend the grilled artichoke. We ordered our lift tickets and a couple of lessons online before we arrived (aspensnowmass.com) and got a decent discount. For those deciding between the Silvertree and the Stonebridge, the Silvertree is much bigger (we walked forever to get to our room), more expensive, but a better location. However, we really did enjoy our stay at the Stonebridge, and it has a nice cozy atmosphere.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable room; complimentary shuttle and breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Westportia
Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Location: 100 feet from fanny hill slope. Ski down to quad lift.
300 feet from mall (uphill walk, which will burn the first day) where you can rent skis and buy lift tickets.
Full day: $96 (ouch), 1/2 day starts at 12:00 $72. Last lift at 3:30pm

Each room has its own ski locker (not for boots)

Bus to Aspen easy access, frequency 7-20 minutes. Bus ride takes 20 minutes can be crowded, standing room only.

Room: Very clean. Comfy, soft bed. Wool blanket and soft quilt cover. Windows open..if not frozen shut. Heating in our room was not adjustable,but temp. was ok..slightly cold, but no matter. Bathroom small.
Rooms on 1st floor, ridge view, are dark, low ceiling.

Humidifier
Fridge
Coffee maker
DVD player
$4 water

Staff: Amazingly nice. So friendly and in good spirits.
Restaurant: Breakfast-not great. Although nice to have the option, we preferred a bagel at Fuel coffee in the mall.

Tips:
*Get lift tix in advance. Lines can be 20 minutes long, if doing half day get there early so you don't miss the 12pm start.
*for discount you need to book 1 week in advance thru concierge or incline sports.
*Find a cheap water source (maybe grocery in snowmass village?) you should drink alot of water and even stores at mall charge $4/ liter.
*120 mg of Ginkgo 2x/ day 5 days before trip and during, seemed to help us with altitude. Only had headache the first day.
*bring warm gloves. long lift rides at -5 F make for cold hands.
*Leave humidifier on all night, not loud and helps prevent dehydration
*bring dvds to watch. nothing to do in snowmass at night

Enjoy!

• Liked — Location, Cleanliness+Staff
  • Disliked — No proper ski boot storage+ breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 5StarBohemian
Boston
Reviewed 18 November 2008

When my husband and I traveled to Colorado this past July, we expected the part of our stay in Aspen/Snowmass to be the priciest portion, but we were pleasantly surprised. We stayed at the Stonebridge Inn in Snowmass Village and found it to be cozy, pleasant and have helpful staff, nice furnishings. Our room was comfortable as well. The price of the room was a good deal for the quality of the hotel. The proximity of the hotel to great hiking on Snowmass mountain (with superb views of Mt. Daly) as well as the shuttle to Maroon Bells was great as well. We will most definately book the Stonebridge again if heading back to the Aspen/Snowmass area.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aajjk
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 30 September 2008

I live only about 4 hours away in Boulder, CO. My best girlfriend, whom I had not seen for a few years, came into town, from Annapolis, MD, especially for this weekend.

We stayed one night on Sept. 27, 2008. I booked our room directly with the hotel, after checking rates at various travel booking sites, and got a slightly better deal than anything else I saw, about 5% better. I paid $103 before taxes, in advance, as I was booking it only 2 weeks before arrival.

It had been some time since I had stayed overnight in Snowmass, so I wasn't quite sure where the hotel was located. Stupidly, I'd forgotten the name of the hotel and thought I had booked in to The Snowmass Inn. But after checking at the front desk for my reservation, and being told I wasn't in their system, the front desk clerk there asked if I wanted to check the phone book for some of the other inns in the area and maybe the name would jump out at me. Snowmass Village is pretty small so the list wasn't too long. Almost immediately I saw the name of where we were booked and was told it was right next door, just down the hill about 100 ft.

Time of arrival was about 4:45pm on Saturday. The hotel parking was free, always a bonus, and right across the road from the lobby entrance. We unloaded our small bags, walked across the stone bridge (hence the name of the inn), under the over-hanging canopy, and walked into the 4th floor lobby. The hotel is built on a hill.

The lobby was small, rustic feeling, which is normal for this area, clean and well kept. The front desk staff were very friendly and efficient. I was addressed by my name with a smile. This is so much better treatment than I ever get in most Aspen hotels!

Complaint and Complement #1: The music blaring from the bar/restaurant, right next to the front desk, was way too loud. I mentioned I was having a hard time hearing the clerk, and he motioned with his head to another staffer who immediately called the bartender to turn the music down.

I was given our keys to a room on the 5th floor and informed the bar was open and restaurant food service began at 5 pm. The elevator was just up the ramp a little, on the left, but as our floor was only one flight up, we took the stairs.

Complaint #2: Open entering the 5th floor hall, we were hit with suffocating 80+ temps.

We proceeded to our room and upon checking out the room, we found we couldn't find the over the sink light. I called the front desk clerk who said he'd come up right away to check it out and he did! Compliment 32.

While waiting for him, I checked out the view and found we were right over the lobby overhang, so no view and the smoking area was right under us too. I again called the desk clerk and was told they'd see if they could find something else, but as they were fully booked, it might not be possible.

When the first desk clerk arrived to show us where the light switch for the vanity light was, I was still on the phone about the room location. I said I'd talk to this man and he was sure he could find us something else. Within 10 minutes, he was back at our door with 2 alternatives. The 1st room, one flight up only had 1 bed, and the same view, being it was right above our current room. The 2nd choice was on the 3rd floor with not much view either, but it was on the back side of the hotel and still pretty, and much quieter too. So we took it.

We had wonderful drinks and dinner in the hotel at the Artisian Restaurant and Bar, as were were tired and were planning an early morning check-out. The food was good, portions were generous and the prices reasonable for the area. Breakfast though was only so-so, but it was complimentary, so I couldn't complain. A few cold cereals, yogurts, hard-boiled eggs (which I hate), apples, bananas, coffee, o.j., and I think banana bread.

Complaint #3: Since it was too warm in our room, before going to bed, I opened the window about 3 inches for some fresh air and turned on the quietest ceiling fan. It made no noise at all! I want one of those myself. About midnight, I woke up feeling cold. I closed the window and turned on the heat to 65F. This is where the worst of our stay lies. The heater would make this loud BANG sound every time it kicked on. At first I thought some child in the room next to us had fallen out of bed and was kicking the heater in their room, but after hearing it for 3 hours do the same thing, on and off, and getting no sleep during that time, I figured it might be the heater. So I turned the thermostat off again and it stopped. I only managed to get another 2 hours of sleep after that. So much for getting up early for our check-out.

When I went to check out, I told the desk clerk about the heater bagging and that I hadn't much sleep because of it. He only offered to discount the room another 20%. I would have preferred a larger discount, but I wasn't in any mood to haggle due to my tired state and need to leave, so I let it go. He also said he'd tell maintenance to check it out.

All in all, I was ok with the hotel, but not too sure if I'll stay there again.

• Liked — location, price/value, food, friendly and accommodating staff
  • Disliked — problems with the internal temperature of the ahlls, and the heater banging when it comes on
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
The Inn at Aspen
The Inn at Aspen
#11 of 34 in Aspen
St. Moritz Lodge & Condominiums

Been to Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel? Share your experiences!