“I think the manager needs to get off the internet responding to negative comments and get on the floor with his staff”

The Westin Snowmass Resort
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I am still terribly upset about what was supposed to be a great family vacation. We drove 14 hours from San Diego with the kids to meet my parents. Rooms not ready until 530pm, asked if they could comp a round of drinks and they looked at me like was crazy.
We were waiting as they said we could get adjoining rooms for us and the kids- my parents room was eventually ready at 530. I guess there was an oversold situation and when they said adjoining they meant next to each other, not with a door. We have a 3 and 6 year old. Crazy thing- they had one bedroom suites available. I asked if in lieu of the 2 rooms we had paid for we could get a one bedroom suite instead and all stay together. Let me also mention I am a lifetime platinum member with 100 nights this year. I also offerred to use my suite reward nights. Another look like I had asked to go to the moon, they said the rooms were amazaing and $1300 a night and they would not upgrade me. Ummm, the rack rate on my two rooms was nearly $1000 a night.
Instead we ended up with one room with one king bed and 4 people. FANTASTIC VACATION! Really , you hit it out of the park.
Not only did I wait in your lobby for 3 hours waiting for the rooms to be cleaned, but then the rooms didn't even happen, and you were not willing to work with me. I have piles of points I would have used to upgrade myself to the room, but no one at your FD had any clue as to how to do it, what they are allowed to do, and now with the second room cancelled I am still waiting for the refund and will have to spend a half hour on the phone with customer service to work it out.

The only reason I gave two stars is that the staff sincerely wants to provide service, they just have no idea what they are allowed to do, or how to do it. THere were people much angrier than me cursing at the front desk staff in other languages, security was there, but the management was no where to be found. On a friday night of a holiday weekend management should be there during check in and be on the floor, especially when they have new staff.

My favorite comment was, "half the people here are platinum, it doesn't really matter".

Reagan at the front desk was great, the bar staff in the lobby were very kind, and Van and Carla in the Kitchen provided excellent service. Mario in housekeeping was also great and brought us extra towels with a smile.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank aryno
JCurnow, General Manager at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

Thank you for the post and feedback. Having just left the floor supporting our new staff and hotel, thought I would take another moment to reply. I do appreciate your appropriate feedback to a challenging opening and of course am disappointed that we could not meet nor exceed your expectations. Rest assured that we, all on team Westin Snowmass, are committed to improvement, are learning together every day and will get there. Aspen and Snowmass are an incredible year round destination and our hotel will, be a great addition to this resort. Call me directly if I can assist in a reapeat visit. Thanks again for taking time to post this feedback.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Snowmass Resort

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Ski in ski out with friendly ski valets, great restaurants -
And a workout room with plenty of my fav machine so it was always available. The art work in the rooms is also totally cool. Ranger station pretzel with Nutella can't be beat.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Our stay at the new Westin was beyond our expectations! The location, view and service were awesome. For a new hotel with new employees, systems and restaurants, we were pleasantly surprised. There are bound to be issues with a brand new opening, but we were very impressed with the attention any problem recieved. We had no problems, but were observing crabby people making unrealistic demands at the front counter. Please people! Even the extremely rude were handled with curteous professionalism and their silly requests were met. Extremely friendly and attentive staff, amazing food and service in the Snowmass Kitchen, and Oh! those Heavenly beds! The decor is warm and inviting, the slopeside views are incredible, the lobby is cozy and comfortable and the location is perfect. Cannot wait to return next year! Great job on the remodel, and kudos to the GM John and all of the staff. Thank you for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Hotel looks great. Really. And a fireplace area is pretty cool. Also food was delicious. But...I got really, really small room - without a bathtub and without any view (a big tree). Also my bill had a few mistakes.

Food +
Location +

Service -
Room -

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AndrewBrooklyn
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Honestly, after reading the other reviews my expectations were low. My family has been vacationing at another Snowmass resort and decided to check out the new place for a possible future trip. We didn't stay at the hotel, but had dinner at the restaurant.

Again, expectations were on the low side going in. I do understand that it takes some time for a place to be up and running, however given the reputation of the Westin on the whole things we were hopeful. We were warmly greeted upon our arrival and then brought directly to our table. Gorgeous views!

We did not wait long at all before being offered a cocktail. The waitress was fabulous. Very attentative and polite and quite familiar with the menu. However, it was based on the recommendations of Scott, (the manager, I think, who was incredibly courteous) that we ordered. The elk meatballs were delicious, and I am not generally a fan of less traditional meats. I'm still thinking of the seabass and the superb lemon sauce! AMAZING!!!

I would have rated value higher, but seriously? in this neck of the woods, the word value has no meaning. Definitely would try the hotel next time we are in town and without question would eat here again. Take a chance and check it out.

RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I came on Trip Advisor to write my own review, but in reading previous posts, I couldn't believe how many other patrons described their stay the same way I would have - although the hotel is newly renovated and the location is second to none, operations were lacking, to say the least. I am an SPG Platinum member and I felt like everything but.

The hotel staff clearly were not ready for the hotel to open its doors - as described in a previous post, "the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing." I can say, without exaggerating, that the Conceirge did not answer their phone about 20 times - I would call 2 or 3 times in a row and STILL no answer. I was very disappointed - I've stayed at multiple W's and Sheraton's and when I call down, they answer within 1 or 2 rings, addressing me by my last name each time I call.

The Kitchen was also very unorganized and the hosts did not seem to know what they were doing.

My hope is that hotel adminstration takes the time to read these reviews, take action, and improve their customer service.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank CBP749
Reviewed 24 December 2012 via mobile

Quite an inexperienced staff, left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing.

Lost my reservations for two queen bed deluxe room, had me wait for over an hour after a four hour drive. Put four people in a king size bedroom without any rollaway bed as promised.

Overall too many gaps in service. Great location though. Its a toss up.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank HoustonTravelinstyle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort
Aspen Meadows Resort
Aspen Meadows Resort
#6 of 35 in Aspen

Been to The Westin Snowmass Resort? Share your experiences!