“New look - great ski hotel experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wildwood Snowmass

Wildwood Snowmass
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
collingwood
“New look - great ski hotel experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

If you like ski-in ski-out, a hot tub apres, and a walk to a pub for dinner. Wildwood is your hotel.
A recent update of the decor has a fresh Ikea meets boutique hotel feel to it. This is a great hotel if you are on a budget.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Fraser, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

I went to Aspen to see the Xgames. All the hotels were outrageously expensive. Lucky for me I got a fantastic rate on hot-wire for $122 plus tax. The rate beat all the other hotels in Aspen and Basalt. For the price I paid I was fine with the accommodation and was glad I didn't pay the price advertised on Expedia. Yes I would prefer the Westin but I did not want to pay the price to stay there. On this trip it was only for 1 night and we didn't plan on spending much time in the room. The negative is that parking is an additional $30 and I didn't know until I arrived. There isn't a bellman and we just got a cart and toted our stuff to our room so it wasn't a big deal. The lobby and restaurant feels like a dorm or hostel. The new makeover gives a retro kind of vibe to the place. Although it has had a new remodel the exterior old and the floor plan is funky. The rooms feel a little dated and I wasn't big into the retro funky decor. I think they are trying to appeal to a younger, hip, cool crowd. If you enjoy luxury this is not the place for you.
Our room was average, the bed was comfy and the bath felt a little dated. I liked the duvet cover and down comforter but I wish they had given a blanket between the sheets and comforter. They have cubby space and a flat screen in each room. Another perk was a small refrigerator that was in the room. It's a basic clean room at a good price.
The staff is good and the service of the front desk and in the restaurant made the stay a lot nicer. The burgers are good in the restaurant. The new restaurant bar area reminds me of the living room of a hostel. I think they show movies and have live music sometimes. They have a ping pong and arcade room but I didn't go in it.
All in all it was a decent stay. It's great for the younger crowd. Would I stay here again? It depends on the vacation- for a romantic getaway no- but if price is an issue and I am not going to spend much time in the room or hotel- then yes.

Room Tip: Book on hotwire to get a good deal
1 Thank Bcogswell
Jackson, Wyoming
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

Just some things to be aware of when booking this hotel.

I didn’t think it would be necessary to call ahead and see if our room was ready because we didn’t checked until 3:30PM, on their website it states check in is at 3PM, I just assumed this was guaranteed like any other hotel. I wish I would have called because our room wasn’t ready until after 5PM, which was a result of me asking 3 times when our room was going to be ready and informing them we had dinner in Aspen at 6PM and both of us wished to clean up after our long day of travel. We still ended up having to cancel a reservation at Steak House 316 (a reservation I made 3 weeks prior because this is an extremely popular restaurant in Aspen). Once we were provided a room, without being informed of the change we had a room with two queen beds not a king room as booked. However, the room was located right near the bus station which was convenient for us.

I was also told when making my reservation (directly with the hotel) that parking was free because I specifically asked. I was curious if this would be an added fee when we checked in and if so how much. when I mentioned this at check the front desk agent said she didn’t know why reservations would tell me that and informed me it would be 30 dollars. No apology, and a look of “what do you want me to do about it” on her face. So that was helpful.

Don’t expect a bellman, we had to take our bags and skis to the room ourselves (bell cart does not fit well into elevator), which we weren’t provided any direction or orientation to locate room/facilities. At check-in I asked if we could leave our skis with ski valet for next day and they said the easiest would be to give them our equipment the next day after skiing and they could hold them over night. This really didn’t make sense to me because the easiest option would be to give them my skis now so I didn’t have to carry them up to my room, which was a pain trying to fit a bell cart and skis in their extremely small elevator. So since we were a two night stay with one day of skiing this service was not available to us.

From reading other reviews, I can agree that it does look like a glorified dorm room and you can hear everything (thin walls). There also wasn’t a trash in our room and there were still towels and an ice bucket on our balcony from the previous guest. I didn’t want to bug the front desk anymore so we never informed them of either. However, it was a clean large enough room with a comfortable bed. The interior and thin walls didn’t bother us, was just more annoying after our frustrating check in and having to change our plans that first night.

Basically if you are traveling on a budget and looking for a hotel with good location to the snowmass mall, the bus stop, and is also clean then this is a good hotel for you. My boyfriend described it as a good hotel for a ski trip with all his guy friends. I would only stay here again if I got a cheaper rate and wasn’t looking for a weekend getaway with my boyfriend, but next time will upgrade to the Westin Hotel. I wasn’t aware amenities such as a bellman, check in at guaranteed time, ski valet, more adequate service at the front desk, etc. would not be included at the Wildwood and this was my mistake in assuming and not researching the property. If you want better service and overall experience then you need to pay another $80 plus to stay at the Westin. I wasn’t expecting this to be a 5 star hotel but I also don’t think the issues mentioned above are too much to ask for at any hotel in Snowmass.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank skibumm86
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

The Wildwood is as close as you can get to ski in- ski out without technically being so. It's a bit of an older motel, but they've spun that into an endearing kitschiness that is kind of fun. The evenings include a fun bar with live music and movie nights. The two hot tubs, heated pool and arcade also make fun bonuses. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

First time to Snowmass and first time on tripadvisor. The Westin was terrific resort built inside a cozy town which replicates Belgium. Lot's of cool locals. New Belgium Brewery has one of the best pizza's I've ever had. The mexican pizza was off the hook!!! Femanda Palvin waited on us... great service with a perfect smile and really entertaining.

usa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

“CLOSE TO THE SLOPES, good value on hotwire at $100 a night”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 NEW
- positives: close to lifts and the mall
rooms are adequate but dated - the whole facility is very dated, but they try to work with this to make it hip - it falls somewhere in between.
nice pool and hot tubs.

Pokolodi Lodge
Pokolodi Lodge
#4 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village
St. Moritz Lodge & Condominiums
The Limelight Hotel

Been to Wildwood Snowmass? Share your experiences!