“AMAZING PLACE- if you know what you're getting into”
Review of Wildwood Snowmass

Wildwood Snowmass
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is one of the most unique Starwood branded hotels I think I have ever stayed at. I knew that this was going to be a speciality-select hotel and that they had no affiliation with the Westin other than being a sister hotel. Anyone who thinks that the Westin and this hotel are similar, will be very disappointed, as shown by the review below; people who thought that were getting a deal by staying at a "Westin" for half the price...wrong. If you want the amenities of a full-service Starwood hotel, go to the Westin. This is for the budget traveler who needs little to no assistance from the hotel staff other than a nice clean room to sleep in. That is exactly what they offer. It is a "lodge" setting so the hotel does not offer A/C (this is standard in high altitude lodges) and the doors are outside so the elements may effect you because you'll have to be outside to get to your room.

The staff at this hotel is fabulous. They are young, smart, and have a lot of experience so they know how to handle things without getting flustered. The hotel itself is right in the middle of anything you made need to make your trip great.

If I ever find myself here again, I will be staying with you guys. I wish I could remember all the desk staff that helped me. Kayla and two other guys that have worked with Starwood and the neighboring hotel chains for several years. You guys were all great! Thanks!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a balcony. Ask for one if you can!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank bryansmith10934
Hayden81615, Guest Relations Manager at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thanks for the great review! We're so glad to hear that you loved the Wildwood staff as much as we do: Kayla, Jack & Dave are the best! -And they really appreciate the shout-out on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you back to the Wildwood again soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

According to the location and being next to the newly renovated Westin, we thought it would be a nice place to stay. But after checked in, we were a little bit disappointed. The room looked dark due to the wall color and furniture, outdated decorations, and old carpets. The mattress is set into a wooden frame. The frame’s square corners hurt me when walking through the narrow spaces around the bed, table and going to bathroom.

The shower has a separate cold and hot knob with a third knob as a diverter. All 3 knobs are set in a limited space so if you turn on hot knob, you can’t turn the diverter to get the water up to shower head. Apparently the hotel staff know this problem, because when you ready for shower, you will find there is no way to control the water to go up to the shower head until seeing a metal stick sitting in the soup basket up on the tub wall. Then you realize the metal stick is that diverter knob. Now you have to screw up to the diverter first. then you think it should be fine to start showering. No! This diverter knob can’t turn on completed because the hot knob just occupied the route the diverter knob needs to turn toward….
The only way to resolve it is before turning on any water knob, putting on diverter knob first , then turning on it to the right position, then release the knob and put aside, then starting turning on cold and hot water.
Can you believe? So many steps you have to do just for getting the shower water up to the shower head for shower.

The website of this hotel has been poor designed. It does not offer enough details about what it has really offering except the room prices.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aroundwould

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. All feedback, both positive and negative, is used as a tool to help us improve our service for future guests. I'm so sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your stay, and we will make every effort to address the issues. We would specifically like to fix the shower knobs in your room, so we will try to figure out which room this was and take care of it before others experience the same frustrations. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future and surprass your expectations.

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We were booked at a conference in this overflow Westin property adjoining the Snowmass Westin. I can't believe Westin would put their brand on a property that Motel6 would be ashamed of. Highloghts included tiny rooms in garish 70s decor, no screen on the window, no AC, and a main light that had to be unplugged to turn it off. Couple tthat with a blaring sound system playing hiphop laced with obscenities. All this for $260 + tax prr night. Too bad arson is a crime!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Rjs1951
Hayden81615, Guest Relations Manager at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your stay at Wildwood Snowmass. Though the Wildwood is a sister property of the Westin Snowmass, it is definitely not part of the Westin brand. Though Wildwood guests are welcome to use the amenities at the neighboring Westin, the Wildwood is its own independent brand that is geared more toward the budget traveler. I sincerely apologize that your expectations were not met, and we are trying to be very up front about the Wildwood and all it has to offer. For air-conditioned rooms and a more traditional hotel set-up, we would love the opportunity to welcome you at the Westin Snowmass the next time you are visiting Aspen/Snowmass.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was my first visit to Aspen and Snowmass. Let me start by saying I will be back, and soon! We stayed with the wildwood on recommendation of a friend. I had never ridden in the states before I was a little apprehensive to venture out of my Canadian comfort zone.
From a friendly shuttle driver, to a quick check in and great rooms we got off to a great start. It was not long before we ran into a few problems. As the rooms were very recently renovated (or repaired) our toilet seat was not bolted down. The first call went out to Kayla at the front desk. She had someone to our room in minutes. The second call went out when me and my buddy realized we only had one shower towel. Again, Kayla swiftly corrected the situation. She even had the bindings I ordered waiting for me at the desk when we asked for our keys; and did not laugh too hard when I had to ask for her help finding a tool to put them on my board later that night after all the shops had closed.
As much as I’m sure she started to dread our calls Kayla seamlessly handled all our requests and turned those moments into funny memories. So four months later, I am finally getting around to one more well deserved thank you!

Other beauties of note:
Jami the chef. I had a chance to speak briefly with Jami after a meal in the Westin. His obvious passion and excitement for food is infectious. We talked shop for a little bit after I told him I managed a restaurant. He was eager for feedback as I told him about a particular sauce I enjoyed with a duck dish.

Engineer guy (maintenance): I forget his name (maybe tom?young guy around my age 26) heard that we were rookies to Snowmass and took me out for the morning with his buddy boarding before his afternoon shift. We went through the glades to find the Hunter S. Thompson Shrine a shop owner told me about the night before.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank michaeljusticemirski
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Stayed in April as a part of a ski conference .Working at a ski resort myself I see alot of different styles and products and was happy with my choice Rooms are basic but clean and have everything you need. Hot tub and pool area were always clean and I liked that they were outdoors.

There is a lot of funky old school ski memorabilia and the decor and colors reflect a ski resort from the early days of ski resorts which I thought was unique. Most ski resorts now cater to high end foodies and luxury seakers etc and have lost a lot of the heart n soul of the ski lifestyle.

Front desk staff were all really laid back and friendly and had an answer for any question I had. I personally prefer that style to the corporate cookie cutter style of customer service found at other ski resorts.

Bartenders at the pub were awesome and the food was fast and good.Because of that, there was no need for another spot and I ate there everyday.

The only negative was the elevator always had an odd odor but with all the pub food i ate at the hotel the stairs were much needed exercise anyway.

all in all if you want a relaxed ski hotel with a cool vibe, if you want the luxury experience the westin is next door.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Liana H
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed TripAdvisor review of the Wildwood Snowmass. We especially love to hear that the bartenders were awesome and that you ate here every day! You’ll have to check us out again in the summer when we’ll have parties by the pool and plenty of entertainment after sunny days spent hiking, biking & rafting.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

The wildwood snomass is located in the center of Snowmass Village, so very close to shopping and restaraunts. It's a few hundred yards to the lift, which is also convenient. I visited the last weekend of Feb/beginning of March 2013, and, for the $105/night I got on Hotwire, the price can't be beat. A few things to note: the elevator doesn't go up to the 4th floor so if you have a problem with a flight of stairs, don't stay on 4. The rooms were cozy, but basic - if you are looking for luxury try elsewhere (walls are thin). The housekeeping often didn't show up until late late afternoon - and as others have mentioned, since this is a motel type setup, their carts rumble down the outdoor corridor like a freight train. (Though I did find the 4th floor pretty quiet). The bar is funky and cool. Outdoor hot tubs and pools nice. Lots of lounge area in the main lobby, including a game room for kids and movie nights.

I did have to ask several times for the "resort charge" of $20/ day be removed from my credit card as I was not using those amenities (airport shuttle, ski valet, Internet - you will be charged that fee for using any of those). Overall, a really good value for Snowmass village. I would stay there again if traveling on a budget.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank beantownjen
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Wildwood Snowmass and that you found it to be a good bargain. We hope to welcome you back in the summer when Wildwood makes the perfect basecamp for hiking, horseback riding, backpacking, rafting, and tons of outdoor music.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I just spent six nights at the Wildwood as part of a large conference group. My room was located on the third floor facing the pool and just around the corner from the elevator (which reminds me ...why was the elevator so smelly all the time?). My experience here certainly is similar to others with both pros and cons to report. Yes the main floor lounge/bar/lobby area are now nicely decorated ....we were fortunate that due to the conference being hosted mainly at the Westin, and the Wildwood being owned by the same company, that some special breakfast offerings were put out everyday ....lovely individual fruit bowls, yogurt, multiple pastries and breads for toasting along with cereal, juices, coffee/tea.
I think a key take away re the Cons of the property are reflected in the statement by another conference attendee that her room was in a non-renovated part of the hotel. I asked her to describe it and - yup - to her surprise her room was just like ours, ie, renovated to LOOK like a throwback and probably enforced by some of the tacky furniture in the rooms. The bed was super comfy though ....no complaints. But PLEASE PLEASE add some more storage in the sink vanity area. That was hands down the worst feature of the room....the sink/vanity is outside of the room where the toilet/tub are and in plain view of the sleeping area. That also meant if I was up earlier or later than my roommate (I had one ....) and if you wanted to use the vanity area the light would go out into the sleeping area too. There was just one shelf on a pegboard, and a row of hooks for any kind of toiletry placement. This is really inadequate for a couple of ladies. Please add more shelves ....or replace the one board that runs the entire front /under the vanity with some kind of cabinet with drawers. Please. Because of things like this, most of us, who were considered leaders for group trips, said we would not be comfortable booking OUR groups into the property. Maybe a couple more fixes could help. I guess a lot of us ("mature" ) also were not used to rooms which had outside access only. I was happy though to see that I COULD adjust the heat controls in the room!
Location is good and staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MEDISKIS

We really appreciate you providing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed the lounge/bar/lobby area and the special breakfast offered during your conference. I have passed on your suggestions for the sink vanity area to our management team. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
The Westin Snowmass Resort
The Westin Snowmass Resort
#6 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Pokolodi Lodge
Pokolodi Lodge
#4 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
#8 of 13 in Snowmass Village
St. Moritz Lodge & Condominiums
Aspen Meadows Resort

Been to Wildwood Snowmass? Share your experiences!