“You Won't Get Any Sleep Here!!!”
Review of Wildwood Snowmass

Wildwood Snowmass
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This place was terrible, and we would not have stayed here had we known what was coming. Don't get me wrong, it's clean and in a good location for walking to restaurants, shops, and the Snowmass ski area. The rooms are designed in a way that is functional for skiers with lots of storage and ski racks.

Where this place goes wrong is with the NOISE. Our room faced the pool, which was pretty hopping all day and all night. My husband and I both got a terrible night's sleep with music blasting until 4 in the morning--no joke!! In addition to the music, there were people yelling, running down the halls, and slamming doors all night. As if that wasn't bad enough, the absence of air conditioning, a fan, or cooling system of any kind added salt to the wound. Neither of us could sleep with how hot the room was, so we opened the window for some cool air. Of course, with all the noise, this only made it worse.

I saw another review on here that mentioned the corners of the bed frame, and the exact same thing happened to us. We both ran into a corner (I did it about four times), and it HURT. It left a large and painful bruise on my leg.

Another thing--Wildwood's website says there is wi-fi. This is not FREE wi-fi. You have to pay $10/day for basic and $20/day for high speed internet. Total rip-off.

There is no way I'd stay here again. We're both easy travelers and have stayed in very cheap places (some where we didn't even have our own bathroom). All we need is a clean, quiet place to sleep. Don't count on getting any rest if you stay here!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina C
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I’m so sorry to hear that your stay was not restful. “Clean and quiet” is not too much to ask for – and though I’m happy to hear your room was “clean” –It is totally unacceptable that there was music blasting in the middle of the night. Our staff is trained to address any and all noise complaints, and the pool closes at 10pm, so I am at a loss as to how this happened. We will certainly be addressing the issues you have pointed out, and we hope that you will give us a second chance the next time you are looking for an affordable place to stay in Snowmass/Aspen.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Though it was very clean and the bath products (Gilchrist and Soames) smell great, this place is extremely noisy and has no air condition. So in the summer months you have to open the one window and pray for the breeze to blow. The bars on the street level are loud and the drunks yell all into the wee hours of the morning. Can't shut the windows to minimize the noise or you will bake in your room.
The girl in the room next door actually got out of bed at 3 am and started throwing stuff at the drunk guys yelling profanities to get them to move on. I listened to the entire ordeal :/
The walls are quite thin so you will hear everything. I won't be staying there again. Definitely not the place for staying with kids.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at Wildwood Snowmass. Because it always cools down in the evenings, air-conditioning was never something that was needed in the mountains. With the warming climate, though, more and more people are demanding A/C - even way up here. I do apologize that you found it uncomfortably warm in your room. And I have passed along your noise complaint to the Director of Rooms and the Director of Food and Beverage. Our Bar at Wildwood is only open until 9pm in the summer (late nights might go until 11pm), and the Village Police are very efficient about responding to noise complaints. Our goal would certainly be to mitigate any noise disturbances so that our guests can enjoy a good night's sleep, so I apologize that this was not addressed immediately when you were staying with us. Once again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to our sister property next door: The Westin Snowmass Resort - where all rooms have air-conditioning.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

I had one of the worst nights of sleep in a hotel EVER at the Wildwood the other night. The problem is that there's no AC in the hotel rooms, so you're forced to open a window. The noise coming from the pool area was ridiculous; there were people up late into the night yelling and playing music. You could still hear it with the window closed too. The music was still playing at 4 IN THE MORNING!! This indicates a level of inattentiveness on the part of the hotel staff that is completely unacceptable. I basically laid on the bed sweating and waiting for the the commotion to die down for hours.

The following day, the music persisted. We called the front desk and complained about it, and we were told it would be turned off, but nothing ever happened. At around 10 PM I looked out the window and observed what appeared to be people DRY HUMPING in the hot tub and blaring loud [--] music. I had to walk down to the front desk and raise hell about the music. It finally went off about 20 minutes later.

You have to pay $10/day for Wifi, and the connection speeds are piss-poor. We only paid for one day. At one point, I was downloading something at 60 kbps.

If it's summer, you'll get a better night of sleep in a tent or in your car. If it's winter, be warned: the hotel staff is inattentive and incompetent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is one of the most unique Starwood branded hotels I think I have ever stayed at. I knew that this was going to be a speciality-select hotel and that they had no affiliation with the Westin other than being a sister hotel. Anyone who thinks that the Westin and this hotel are similar, will be very disappointed, as shown by the review below; people who thought that were getting a deal by staying at a "Westin" for half the price...wrong. If you want the amenities of a full-service Starwood hotel, go to the Westin. This is for the budget traveler who needs little to no assistance from the hotel staff other than a nice clean room to sleep in. That is exactly what they offer. It is a "lodge" setting so the hotel does not offer A/C (this is standard in high altitude lodges) and the doors are outside so the elements may effect you because you'll have to be outside to get to your room.

The staff at this hotel is fabulous. They are young, smart, and have a lot of experience so they know how to handle things without getting flustered. The hotel itself is right in the middle of anything you made need to make your trip great.

If I ever find myself here again, I will be staying with you guys. I wish I could remember all the desk staff that helped me. Kayla and two other guys that have worked with Starwood and the neighboring hotel chains for several years. You guys were all great! Thanks!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a balcony. Ask for one if you can!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank bryansmith10934
Hayden81615, Guest Relations Manager at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thanks for the great review! We're so glad to hear that you loved the Wildwood staff as much as we do: Kayla, Jack & Dave are the best! -And they really appreciate the shout-out on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you back to the Wildwood again soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

According to the location and being next to the newly renovated Westin, we thought it would be a nice place to stay. But after checked in, we were a little bit disappointed. The room looked dark due to the wall color and furniture, outdated decorations, and old carpets. The mattress is set into a wooden frame. The frame’s square corners hurt me when walking through the narrow spaces around the bed, table and going to bathroom.

The shower has a separate cold and hot knob with a third knob as a diverter. All 3 knobs are set in a limited space so if you turn on hot knob, you can’t turn the diverter to get the water up to shower head. Apparently the hotel staff know this problem, because when you ready for shower, you will find there is no way to control the water to go up to the shower head until seeing a metal stick sitting in the soup basket up on the tub wall. Then you realize the metal stick is that diverter knob. Now you have to screw up to the diverter first. then you think it should be fine to start showering. No! This diverter knob can’t turn on completed because the hot knob just occupied the route the diverter knob needs to turn toward….
The only way to resolve it is before turning on any water knob, putting on diverter knob first , then turning on it to the right position, then release the knob and put aside, then starting turning on cold and hot water.
Can you believe? So many steps you have to do just for getting the shower water up to the shower head for shower.

The website of this hotel has been poor designed. It does not offer enough details about what it has really offering except the room prices.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aroundwould

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. All feedback, both positive and negative, is used as a tool to help us improve our service for future guests. I'm so sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your stay, and we will make every effort to address the issues. We would specifically like to fix the shower knobs in your room, so we will try to figure out which room this was and take care of it before others experience the same frustrations. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future and surprass your expectations.

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We were booked at a conference in this overflow Westin property adjoining the Snowmass Westin. I can't believe Westin would put their brand on a property that Motel6 would be ashamed of. Highloghts included tiny rooms in garish 70s decor, no screen on the window, no AC, and a main light that had to be unplugged to turn it off. Couple tthat with a blaring sound system playing hiphop laced with obscenities. All this for $260 + tax prr night. Too bad arson is a crime!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Rjs1951
Hayden81615, Guest Relations Manager at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your stay at Wildwood Snowmass. Though the Wildwood is a sister property of the Westin Snowmass, it is definitely not part of the Westin brand. Though Wildwood guests are welcome to use the amenities at the neighboring Westin, the Wildwood is its own independent brand that is geared more toward the budget traveler. I sincerely apologize that your expectations were not met, and we are trying to be very up front about the Wildwood and all it has to offer. For air-conditioned rooms and a more traditional hotel set-up, we would love the opportunity to welcome you at the Westin Snowmass the next time you are visiting Aspen/Snowmass.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was my first visit to Aspen and Snowmass. Let me start by saying I will be back, and soon! We stayed with the wildwood on recommendation of a friend. I had never ridden in the states before I was a little apprehensive to venture out of my Canadian comfort zone.
From a friendly shuttle driver, to a quick check in and great rooms we got off to a great start. It was not long before we ran into a few problems. As the rooms were very recently renovated (or repaired) our toilet seat was not bolted down. The first call went out to Kayla at the front desk. She had someone to our room in minutes. The second call went out when me and my buddy realized we only had one shower towel. Again, Kayla swiftly corrected the situation. She even had the bindings I ordered waiting for me at the desk when we asked for our keys; and did not laugh too hard when I had to ask for her help finding a tool to put them on my board later that night after all the shops had closed.
As much as I’m sure she started to dread our calls Kayla seamlessly handled all our requests and turned those moments into funny memories. So four months later, I am finally getting around to one more well deserved thank you!

Other beauties of note:
Jami the chef. I had a chance to speak briefly with Jami after a meal in the Westin. His obvious passion and excitement for food is infectious. We talked shop for a little bit after I told him I managed a restaurant. He was eager for feedback as I told him about a particular sauce I enjoyed with a duck dish.

Engineer guy (maintenance): I forget his name (maybe tom?young guy around my age 26) heard that we were rookies to Snowmass and took me out for the morning with his buddy boarding before his afternoon shift. We went through the glades to find the Hunter S. Thompson Shrine a shop owner told me about the night before.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
#8 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Aspen Meadows Resort
St. Moritz Lodge & Condominiums

Been to Wildwood Snowmass? Share your experiences!