“NOTHING ELSE COMPARES”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Fork
Fun Valley Family Resort
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have only missed a handfull of years since the late 70's when I was a young kid. I have been taking my wife and kids every year. I have camped all over the place and have found nothing equal to Fun Valley. Sure the camp spots are extremely tight and you wil track ash and dirt in your trailer and your trailer will smell like a campfire for months to follow. But in my opinion there is no other place where you can camp and let your kids explore and play from sun up till sun down without worrying about thier saftey. I have always stayed in the 600's camp spots just because I always have and we get to meet the same people every year. The newer camp spots at the West end are larger if you need elbow room. The facility maintenance has gone down over the past several years but the atmosphere is still the same and can't be beat. We spend 3 weeks in Coloradro each summer and have tried several other campgrounds for a few night either coming or going to Fun Valley and have found nothing that compares. My family will be coming back for years I can't get my kids to go any other place

4  Thank shawn p

Reviewed 4 June 2012

I have been going there 31 years love it, Love the history of it!! I like the old run down look love it fits with the history of colorado, For those of you that dont like the run down look or the rustic look of the place find you some where else to go not everyone likes change! like old saying goes if its not broke dont fix it.How do we all know your not the rude people up there cause for the sound of you can not be pleased with the way that it is sorry for you but there are many other place in colorado you can go too!! As for me and my family and friends we will countine to go to the greatest place in colorado an that is FUN VALLEY FAMILY RESORT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The snack shack has had it!Strawberry malt sucks.Runny milk two different times and prices for everything is up up up.Ok to camp.Everything is running down.SAd Sad SAd.Was a lovely place a few years ago.

7  Thank ktex57
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I have been taking my family here for many years... Never again! Since Mack passed away the family has not kept the place up and all the old crew that have helped run it are getting old and grouchy. In fairness, most of the workers are nice and helpful but those in the office are not.

Fun Valley is in a beautiful natural setting but has seen little in capital improvements for many years. The bath houses are horrible.

19  Thank Headinwest_11
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We have been coming here on and off for years, its where my grandparents used to come when i was a kid and I would get to come along, alway loved it! now we have been bringing our kids here every year for the past 5 years(one is 5 and the other is 9). We ask them every year if they want to go someplace different, answers always the same-NO, we want to go to Fun Valley! As others have said this is one place you can feel safe just turning them loose on bikes and letting them go have fun, always meeting new friends as it seems the kids rule around there. Sometimes they even get to meet up with friends they met the year before. Security at front gate is awsome, nobody is coming in unless supposed to be here. Lots of things to do or just nothing but set around camp and relax while kids are playing. Camping can be a little tight at times but all your nieghbors are great to get along with and are here for same reasons you are, just relax. Some of the older staff can be a little fussy at times but it seems to only be a few and not enough to bother me, I just ignore them and go on. There is nothing fancy about the campground but wouldn't expect it to be as it is CAMPING the real way, with that said there are plenty of amenities to keep a faimly comfortable from a grocery store to gas pumps, and laundry. The bathrooms/shower houses are ok, i"ve seen better but still work just fine to wash off the fish or firewood smell you will get! This place is the perfect place to come if you have kids and want some real colorado camping, we will continue to keep comming every year that we can for sure.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank keyster72
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This was our family's tenth year in the last thirteen going to Fun Valley. In the beginning, we would rent a cabin or motel room, then we rented one of the travel trailers, and now we take our own fifth wheel trailer. Where to begin ...

Fun Valley is a giant family park. Accomodations include full hook-up RV spaces, cabins, a motel and a bunch of 26' travel trailers that have been permanently installed. There is a restaurant that serves great breakfasts, lunches and dinners cafeteria-style. There is also a snack shack that serves burgers, hot dogs, pizza and the best ice cream! There is a gift shop and recreation building with all of the pool tables, air hockey and video games a kid can play. They also have a grocery store with an amazing inventory of stuff, a gas station, including diesel, a laundromat, two restroom / shower buildings, a "Funatorium" and the dance hall (where they do dances, small concerts, etc.).

The whole facility is secured - security staffs the front entrance and you must be a registered guest to enter. At last check, you also had to be a couple or a family to get in ... they do not allow overnight transient travelers. This is the only place our family has ever felt comfortable "turning the kids loose" to go play.

As far as things to do there, you can play putt-putt golf, rent a bike if you didn't bring one, rent a paddle boat on one of their dozen or so small lakes, go fishing on any of these lakes, tube down the Rio Grande River (the Rio Grande River goes right through the property!) or go for a two-hour horseback ride through the beautiful mountains. Best of all, the kids can take a walkie-talkie and explore the whole place, meeting new friends and spending time in the great outdoors.

The staff are mostly retired folks from Texas and Oklahoma. Their personalities, charm and friendliness are unmatched. They do this because they love to, not because they need a job. You always feel welcomed at Fun Valley.

There is so much more to this place than I can put in a review ... if you are thinking at all of going, you must try this place. You can reserve anything EXCEPT RV spaces ... these are on a first-come basis only. While the majority of spaces are taken during the summer, they always seem to find a way to fit you in. I believe they are open from May through September, but you'll want to double-check that. We have recommended Fun Valley to a lot of people, and nobody has been disappointed.

We look forward to going back again next summer, and for many summers to come.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ccollman
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We just returned from Fun Valley and all in all it was a great time. I had read of rude people, but for the most part everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. My husband did have a run in with a rude man in the grocery one night, but he was one out of the many friendly faces we saw each day.
There are many things for the kids to do, float in the river, play mini golf, pool, fish, hike... We even took a 2hr horseback ride into the mountain that was well worth the money. We enjoyed our stay, this place makes a great base camp to drive out and do other things in nearby towns. The only negative thing I would say is that there are so many people there, the campers are almost touching....and with all those people the bathrooms would get a little dirty from time to time, but at 11am there was always someone there to clean, so it wasn't too bad. We would return to FV because we had a wonderful time.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family