“Hate when companies get so big they forget about customer service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Fork
Fun Valley Family Resort
Wheat Ridge, Colorado, United States
“Hate when companies get so big they forget about customer service”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Yesterday I called Fun Valley to book a cabin. There were no cabins left for our dates so we elected to stay in a motel with a kitchen. After talking with our family we decided that it would be better to get two motel rooms rather than just one.
I called this morning to make the change. We wanted the kitchen-motel to be in my sister's name and the new room to be in mine.
After explaining the situation to the folks that make the reservations, they told me that in order to do this I would need to cancel our current reservation and start over. I agreed. Click, the line goes dead.
I called right back and said "sorry, I think we were disconnected".
The man said "no, you said you wanted to cancel so I cancelled the reservation and hung up".
I said, " right, I want to cancel and start over".
His reply was, "we don't have any other rooms available for the dates your requesting".
"Oh, well then I guess we will just keep what we have and make it work".
"Sorry mam, we've already cancelled your reservation and there is a waitlist".

I would have never cancelled had I realized they were completely booked and we would have lost our room and not been able to get new ones. It seems to me he should have told me upfront that there were no other rooms available.

I tried to reason with him to no avail. It's sad to me. My family has been going there for years and have loved it. My dad stores his camper there every summer. Looks like our family will be finding a new place, one that listens and tries to accomodate their customers, to have our reunions. :(

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
25 Thank Denise B

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Amarillo, Texas, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This was our first "highly recommended" trip to Fun Valley! I have so much to say about this place! If your family oriented and love to see your kids have a blast, then GO! We had so much fun, rest and fished so much! We took 3 boys 14,15 and 16 years old and not a one complained the whole 4 days we were camping. It was crowded but it was not a problem the folks there are just awesome! We will be going back, already planning our next trip!!!

Room Tip: Camping was ok but getting a trailer for next year....to old to sleep on the air matteress on the gr...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Vanessa D
Arlington, Texas, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I've been coming here personally for the last 8 yrs and have really enjoyed taking my kids.For the adults it's a piece of mind knowing the resort is a fun family friendly atmosphere where our children can just be kids an explore nature w/ kids their age from around the country.The resort has many different activities for the family.Horseback riding/,ladder golf/horse shoes/ fishing/ putt putt golf/ paddle boats / bike rentals/ basketball/ and much more. Don't get me wrong , there is always room for improvemt but there is also plenty as it stands to start creating wonderful memories w/ your children or loved ones.my wife and her family have been coming to fun valley for 30+ yrs

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Julio R
Colleyville, Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I agree completely with the review mentioned in the title (that review was written 12July).

Our stay there was 6 nights and was marred by the “crankiness” of the cafeteria staff. Especially the “Master at Arms” fellow at breakfast, hopefully he was not a manager . . . I felt like I was in Navy Boot camp again.

Also, if you need to think a bit about your space number to pay, the cashier does an “eye roll” and scowls, even when the line is empty.

In short, the bulk of the cafeteria staff needs some re-training or replacement. I think the Asian girls need to be promoted, given a pay raise and assigned as trainers how to deal with and respect elderly customers.

AND the internet is awful. Don't expect to communicate effectively for work. (Yes some people work on vacation.)

================================================
“Henson's Please Hear My Plea”
Reviewed July 4, 2012
2 people found this review helpful

Room Tip: The spaces are really close together. The service rating above was mis marked and could not be chan...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank W K

Travellers are raving about these South Fork hotels

Graham, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We enjoyed the visit to Fun Valley. If we had our grandkids with us they would have enjoyed it more. We had an end site and had had room to enjoy. Those in other sites were crowded with little room to set up between campers.The worst thing was the electricity. There is a restaurant on site; a store; and entertainment for all ages. I will come back when the replace and upgrade the electricity. My surge protector went off a few times.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sbri09
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I've been to Fun Valley a jillion times over the last 30 years. This was probably my last trip. Nearly every time we go, there are hateful people working in the serving line in the restaurant, and sometimes in the office. Last week, a lady working behind the lunch counter told me very grouchily "Hold your plate up there! You're going to dribble!!!" There was one lady and the teenagers that are nice in the restaurant, otherwise, the rest are rude. We even heard one bragging to the other about how she "told" some customer off who'd made a mess. The folks working the Snack Shack were nice however, and I felt like telling them that their sweet dispositions need to rub off on the grouchy people in the restaurant. Don't park your RV too long in the entrance or the old man will grouch at you there too, and watch out for more grouches in the grocery store. The place needs new paint, and sprucing up desperately. The concrete is peeling up in patches outside the restaurant, the bath houses need updating, and the Funatorium for the kids was only fun when I was a kid. What kid today wants to play foosball? It needs to be revamped and some money spent or they might as well lock the doors and turn out the lights. With all the campers in there, Mack's family needs to start putting back some of the money they're bringing in and make this place as wonderful as it could be. Rustic, yes, falling down -- uh, no. The golf course was falling apart until the boulders fell from the mountain and totally demolished the rest of the sorry thing. At least they replaced it with a decent course. One thing I'd bet money on -- 20 years from now, the new golf course will look run down just like the rest of the place. This was my family's treasured vacation spot. Somebody in the family please work this place. It hurts my heart to see it look so bad.

Room Tip: Go before July. It gets packed like sardines in a can.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank Sadvalley
moore
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have only missed a handfull of years since the late 70's when I was a young kid. I have been taking my wife and kids every year. I have camped all over the place and have found nothing equal to Fun Valley. Sure the camp spots are extremely tight and you wil track ash and dirt in your trailer and your trailer will smell like a campfire for months to follow. But in my opinion there is no other place where you can camp and let your kids explore and play from sun up till sun down without worrying about thier saftey. I have always stayed in the 600's camp spots just because I always have and we get to meet the same people every year. The newer camp spots at the West end are larger if you need elbow room. The facility maintenance has gone down over the past several years but the atmosphere is still the same and can't be beat. We spend 3 weeks in Coloradro each summer and have tried several other campgrounds for a few night either coming or going to Fun Valley and have found nothing that compares. My family will be coming back for years I can't get my kids to go any other place

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family