“Return Visit”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Fork
Fun Valley Family Resort
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We did not get to go to Yellowstone last September due to the heavy rains in that area which washed out some of the roads and closed others. We did go in early summer to the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone, and the Tetons. We met our 3 kids and their families at FV. Needless to say, the grandkids had a blast. This was a totally safe and secure environment for them to ride bikes, play miniature golf, fish, etc.

The kids stayed in a 2 bedroom w/ loft cabin which backed up to the river. In addition to the ducks, there is now a family of geese staying there. The first park that I have ever stayed at where there were geese. There was an indoor fireplace and an outdoor firepit. One was going pretty much most of the nights and sometimes during the days. Kids loved making "smores" most anytime of the day. The cabin appeared to be at least 50 years old which added to the lore of staying in an old log house. It was well maintained and comfortable especially when we all gathered there for meals. We totaled 9 people in all and the cabin could have handled 3-5 more people. In looking at the construction, I was very impressed with the use of the local building materials. I would say that nothing was hauled in except the metal products (pipes, wires, fixtures etc.) As with much of the construction we saw on the trip, if it came with the property and could be used, it was. Amazing how construction in that day will outlast some of today's work. Some show their age due to low temps and a lot of water versus here in Texas where we have just the opposite. I did notice that some updates had been done since our last trip.

There is an onsite restaurant and snack shack for customers only. You had to be a registered quest to partake at either which eliminated all outsiders. The food is home style and some of the best I have ever eaten. The pot-luck lunches truly show the creativity of the cooks. For the heavy eaters, there were all you could eat nights with steak or BBQ. For the fast food addicts, the snack shack was the place. Good memories from going there at night with the grandkids for ice cream and rehashing the day's events. The smiles and gleam in their eyes told it all. Certainly enjoyed those times which made it all worthwhile.

All of the employees were friendly and took care of our every request. One of the reasons of the safety and security of FV were all of the employees stayed on site, just like the customers. In reading prior critiques of FV employees, those that stated some were rude were probably aimed at the employees that reminded some guests to clean up after their pets, which I certainly appreciated. I have never understood why some petowners believe that that rule does not apply to them. Another camper was asked to leave because he caught 25 fish when the limit is 5. I have often thought that there is a segment in our society which believe rules do not apply to them. There was a power outage due to a blown transformer some where off site and the entire valley lost power. The customer next to us was somewhat irate and FV owners explained he could leave and not be charged for that day's stay but that he wouldn't find any parks in that area with electricity. I thought that to be very fair and wished the old b'tard had left in stead of staying there and b'ching. Glad I had my bike to go ride.

One last thought on the employees, several are foreign students which were there working for college expenses and to gain experience working in the service industry. FV offers that due to the operations being family owned and operated versus big business. It was interesting to watch and listen to them as they communicated with each other. Sometimes, when in a group and few spoke the same language, others would act as interpreters. Talk about a round table discussion. It's a shame our beloved reps in Congress can't do the same when all speak the same lingo - English and Greed.

The Southfork area offers so much for everyone. Of all the golf courses played on this trip, Rio Grande in Southfork was by far the best. Very scenic and well maintained especially with all of the rain. The back 9 is built on the side of a mountain which offers breath taking views of the valley. Would even recommend this to the non-players just to ride and look. The roads to Creed and Summitville Mine are as scenic as any that we drove on this trip. With the exception of bear and bison, saw as much widelife on Summitville as we did in Yellowstone. Also, this offered another place to take the grand kids to let them run wide and experience the outdoors, something they can not do in Tx.

Overall, if you have kids or grandkids, you owe them at least a week in FV. No better place where all can spend time relaxing in peace and quite. Best of all, at my camp site, there was no service of any kind. There was in the cabin so the working kids could connect to the outside world. Try it and you will like it. The memories will last a life time for all.

13  Thank Larry J

Reviewed 28 July 2014

First a little background. My family has been outdoor camping for the last 45 years. We've traveled the country staying at state, national and private campgrounds in everything from a tent camper to a class A motorhome. We just retuned from a two week vacation at Fun Valley Resort. Our neighbors recommend a visit to Fun Valley. They were park regulars who spent late July-August at the park every year for almost 30 years. We'd been to Colorado several times but were never impressed with any of the campgrounds. The mountain views are always spectacular. We thought we'd give Colorado one more try.

The drive from Austin to Fun Valley was straightforward and uneventful. Just under a 1000 miles. This time around we were pulling a 36 foot travel trailer with our Ford Excursion PSD. Upon arrival at Fun Valley we were greeted with very hospitable staff. They took down our registration information and told us to drive around and pick out our campsite.

That was where the real fun began. We arrived on Sunday June 29th. The park was packed. The sites and roads were poorly marked. The infrastructure in this park seemed to be dated from the early 1950's. The sites were tiny and RV's were piled one on top of another. The sites were loaded with multiple vehicles, ATV's, four wheelers and any thing else you could think of. On my first pass around the park I attempted to drive a circle around the park to review other sites. I managed to pull the trailer into a road that went past the cabins. Guess what no way out, no turn around and no sign to indicate a dead end. One of the long time campers saw my dilemma and helped be back the unit out. It as a lot of fun with kids, bikes, park train, all in the way and 36 feet of trailer backing out on the blind side. Once we finally found a spot it was so difficult to get in that three people on both sides of the truck had to help guide me around trees and other obstacles. Not something I really wanted to do after 8 hours on the road. When your used to the state parks in Arkansas and Texas and there nice large sites you get spoiled in a hurry. You have zero privacy with people, trailers and equipment everywhere at Fun Valley.

Visiting this park is like stepping back in time. It's run entirely by senior citizens. No computers everything is done on hand written receipts. Often times we found some of the help to be cranky while others were quite pleasant. My mother and wife were chased out of the gift shop because they were carrying a container of left over food from the cafeteria. They later returned to find that person and his helper eating in the gift shop. Wireless and cell phone were poor. They do have a computer room above the restaurant but I was unable to get a steady wireless signal. I had better luck downstairs in the lobby but was chased out by a grumbly old man who told me laptops could only be used up in the computer room. Hand held devices were allowed downstairs. Go figure.

One of the nice things about Fun Valley is that all of the entertainment is onsite. The restaurant food was great as was the nightly entertainment. Plenty of activities for the kids. My two caught their trout limit almost every day. They went horst back riding and paddle boating and did a lot of miles on their bikes. It was a family atmosphere and very quiet every night despite the large crowd. The activities are expensive and we racked up quite a bill during our stay. Everything can be charged to your campsite just like on a cruise. The people in the park were very friendly and my kids really enjoyed the stay. It was a nice weather with temps in the 70's during the day and 40's at night. It was a nice break from the Texas summer time temps. I doubt we will ever return to Colorado or Fun Valley but it was an interesting trip back in time.

9  Thank Will S
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We just got back from FV. Fished, hiked, played horseshoes, walked in the river and spent time with my child that will leave for the Army in one year. I wanted quality time with him~ that is what I get at FV. Not much cell phone reception, PERFECT, not much internet, EVEN BETTER. We went to unplug, talk, enjoy each others company. If your looking for GLAMPING , this is not the place. We tent camped again~ and I am hoping the next time we go back we have a camper. If you want family time, a hot shower, a place to unplug, fish~ Fun Valley is the place to go. Never met a mean, ugly person ~ neighbors this time were from Pampa~ met people from Amarillo and Canyon as well. I really like this place. Updates would be nice, but it wouldn't be camping/RV'ing , I can't wait to retire and go do my time at FV!!! lol

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Vanessa D
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I've come here since the 80s. The kids love it and now it's tradition to come here. However, now that I older, I see areas than need improvement.

The sites have not grown with the times. The rv sites are the same size they were 30 years ago and today's RVs are so much larger. We had 2 sites and it was perfect. However, many people have motor homes, 5th wheels and toy haulers and they barely fit in some of the smaller spots.

The electricity in our spot was 110 instead of 30 or 50 amp. But the weather is fine and we so t have to run the ac or heat.

The shower/ bathrooms do become dirty fast with so many users. They could use some updating. One shower in the ladies didn't have a knob on the faucet in the shower.

I will say, I don't like all of the atvs(kind with a steering wheel) and golf carts that driven around. It is just a lot of noise and activity.

If we did t have our kids with us, we'd probably stay somewhere quieter with less people. However, they do have conveniences that make camping less of a hassle.

They do offer 3 meals a day as well as a snack shack for those who do not want to cook at camp.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank MamaTexas
Reviewed 19 July 2014

just got back from a one week stay at the fun valley resort and it was the worst time we have has since we started going there 5 years ago. the place needs a good upgrade starting with the electrical hook ups mostly 20 amps just about every where you look. the bathrooms are in need of a good upgrade. but the worst part of it all was some of the people working there are the most rudest people we have ever met. the campsites are in really bad shape the tables are falling apart, the grass is full of animal feces every where step.
this will be our last trip to this place.

5  Thank felix s
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My family and I stayed at this large RV park - but we rented a small "cabin". I was a great get away, tucked in some beautiful mountain areas of Colorado. A small stream ran through the property and my young sons were able to fish on the bank. We were able to unplug and enjoy quiet time which is far too rare anymore.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gracee61
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a week's stay at Fun Valley with my family and we LOVED it! There is so much to do (mini golf, horseback riding, fishing, biking, rec hall, live music, and paddle boats) - there was something for everyone. The food was delicious and everything was very reasonably priced. Every employee was extremely nice and helpful, they made our stay wonderful. We can't wait to go back for more fun!!! Also, we felt very safe while staying there and it was nice to let the kids have some freedom in a safe environment.

Stayed: June 2014