“Great getaway”

Goodnight's Lonesome Dove R.V. and Cabins
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The cabins are charming and clean with everything you need and more in the kitchen.
I love the personal touches like wild flowers in a vase on my table.
Each cabin is decorated with a theme appropriate to the name.
Loved meeting Shelley and Stan. They are so friendly and helpful.
Can't wait to come back.
Thanks, ann.

Room Tip: Any cabin will be fun.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ann R

Reviewed 19 August 2014

stayed there in august 2014 the new managers were awesome they just took over management 7 weeks ago and had a lot of things to get fixed gut they always had time to address or issues we did not have a lot just minor stuff but they stopped what they were doing to fix it thank stan and shelley for a great time we stayed in true grit 3 beddroom

Room Tip: all cabins are nice was able to see them i will come back again
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was my first trip to South Fork, Colorado and it was majestic. I stayed at Goodnight's Lonesome Dove in a log cabin named "The Texan", appropriately decorated. It featured a huge great room with a comfortable sofa, a boot lamp, a couple of wing-backed chairs, bunk beds, and a little electric heater if the nights prove to chilly. Frankly I never turned on the heater as the nighttime temperatures were a welcome change from the hot muggy triple digits i came from. There was a separate bedroom that contained a king-sized bed and a kitchenette with everything I needed to cook a hot meal, have a cup of coffee or enjoy a cold brew. The cabin had a bathroom with a small shower and plenty of water pressure. The bathroom lighting was a bit dim if you need to apply makeup, but anyone needing to that probably shouldn't be there. There is a sweet patio area next to the office with benches, a hot tub, a dry sauna, and a gorgeous tall aromatic blue spruce right in the middle. Directly behind the cabins are dog trails for walking and people trails for hiking and once you've explored those, there a dozen others every few miles up and down the highway. One in particular I recommend is Big Meadows about 11 miles west of South Fork, just up the road from Lonesome Dove. This is not some fancy 5-star resort, but it was clean, comfortable, had no odd odors, and the linens were fresh as a daisy. The night sky was pitch black and full of stars for those folks from cities who forgot what they look like.

Enough about the accomodations, now on to the good part. The new managers (Stan and & Shelly Johnston), who told me they took over the place around the first of July, were amazing people. I don't know what the previous managers were like, but I could not ask for more from these folks. They were friendly, polite, and told me all about the place, the history and where to go for various things, whether it be to hike or grocery shop or whatever. They had two friendly boxers, and while they were very sweet dogs, I think anyone always has to use common sense with their own dogs, especially if they are small. While I was there I saw Stan help some woman who came in off the highway and had a problem with her car. He hooked up a scanner, fixed the problem and sent her on her way. In addition to these great managers, I met a lot of folks who were staying in the Lonesome Dove RV section (who evidently have been coming for years) and they were amazing. It was like this little close knit community of people who just help each other. I kind of felt like I had taken this crazy step back in time were life was so much simpler and people actually talked to each other and just hang out. No one was checking their phone every few seconds to see if someone had called checking Facebook to see if there was a new post, or looking to see if anyone had drawn a picture in Drawsome. No Angry Birds, no Words with Friends. Just peace and quiet and community they way human beings were intended to interact with each other.

All I can say is I cannot wait to go back. I had a wonderful time and I hope to take even more time off next summer and really immerse myself in this Lonesome Dove culture. Bless you folks for a rejuvenated me. Goodnight Lonesome Dove, until we meet again.

Room Tip: Every room has it's own distinct personality. Call Shelly, one of the managers, and she can fill...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Not only is the location amazing the new caretakers are awesome!! I have found life long friends in Shelley and Stan. If you want a quiet relaxing mountain experience that feels like home...GLD is the place to stay. They were so welcoming to my kids and dogs. Never experienced that before. Horseback riding and hiking trials on site and super close to rafting and fly fishing trips. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 30 July 2014

First of all we greated by Stan. Stan was gentle in voice and very welcoming. He showed us the cabins he had available and welcomed us. Well after seeing the Cabins and how Stan welcomed us, it was definitely the place to stay. It is not only the cabins that make this place a spectacular place to stay, but the people who run it. Stan and Shelly are kind hearted and willing to assist you with whatever you may need. Not that we needed anything. The cabin was clean, the shower had good pressure,the furniture was of good quality,the furnace worked without even hearing it, the kitchenette was equipped and the Satellite was up and running. I only wish that we could have stayed a couple of night longer. Had I known I was going to have such a great experience, I would have planned to stay here a couple more nights. Well, I guess there is always a next time, but this is definitely a five star, all around. Good for couples, family, family and friends and pets are welcome too. oh yea, they have dvd movies that you can just pick up and watch in your room, books and game boards and also a pool table that guests are welcome to at no extra charge..... I love this place! Hats off to Stan and Shelly. Eva and Mark Abeyta

Room Tip: I didn't ask if the cabin had Wi-Fi since I didn't plan on using it....
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was our 3rd time visiting the campground and first time in a cabin. We appreciated the central heat the cabin provided, even in July, since the overnight temps got pretty cool and this afforded us the ability to chase off the overnight chill. The cabin, Pea-Eye, was clean with lovely accommodations and we stayed for 10 days during which we were able to get fresh linens halfway into our stay. The Management is new but should be commended at their ability to get caught up and get a handle on the property. They are very friendly and accommodating and Shell makes a point to know your name - she is amazing. The resident boxers are equally friendly and somewhat exuberant about making new friends, but are no threat to anyone or any other dog that visits. Also, I left accidentally left something in the cabin and Shell is making sure it gets back to me safely. I look forward to visiting in the future and seeing the friendly faces that I've come to know.

One draw back... WIFI is sketchy - but hey, I was on vacation, so I didn't really care.

Room Tip: The cabins have generous accommodations.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I've been visiting this area of Colorado since I was a young child and this is BY FAR the worst place I've ever stayed. The water coming out of the faucets in our cabin smelled like rotten eggs! It was so horrid that we could not even shower in there. Other family member's cabins didn't even have hot water. When we notified management all they said was that there was nothing they could do about it. The bed linens were so dusty, they probably had not been washed. All of the dishes had old food stuck on them and I had to re-wash everything before we could even use it.

The property itself was terribly maintained....the grass was overgrown, the putt-putt course was torn to shreds, and the "pavilion" was nothing more than a run-down shack with some tables inside. A total joke! The "grocery store" that was advertised on their website was nothing more than a coke machine with a few sodas in it.

I was so disappointed. We will not be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
LonesomeDoveMngr, Owner at Goodnight's Lonesome Dove R.V. and Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2014

Dear Kim,

I sincerely appreciate the input on your stay at Goodnight’s Lonesome. I’m sorry you had a bad experience. We have been in business for over forty years and many customers return year after year for our beautiful scenery and hospitality. The property had fallen to neglect in recent years and during your stay we were in between caretakers. We now have a wonderful new management team overseeing many upgrades and improvements at the property. The items you referenced in your review were remedied shortly after your stay as you can see in the newly updated photos of our property. With this, I would like to offer you a 20% discount on your next stay at Lonesome Dove and encourage you to see the positive changes that were made. Also, we would greatly appreciate it if you would add to or amend your original review to reflect our response and the new photos. Trip Advisor reviews are very helpful to us and we would like them to be as up-to-date as possible.

Hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,