“Small town perfection”

Ranked #11 of 19 Restaurants in South Fork
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Picture a tiny town at the juncture of two canyons, and 8000 feet up in the Rocky Mountains of remote southern Colorado. Now ask yourself, "Am I going to find a worthwhile steak house here, when even the nearest golden arches are nearly 50 miles away?" You betcha'!

The Rockaway is remarkable for even existing here in the tiny hamlet of South Fork, so named for its site at the joining of the Rio Grande with its primary mountain tributary, its South Fork. But to find a restaurant with such a varied menu and attention to quality is amazing.

I've enjoyed a variety of steaks, chops, seafood and pasta dishes at the Rockaway when I lived in South Fork (I've recently moved to Arizona) and found quality to be consistent. The meat dishes are the best, as one would expect at a steak house, and are my favorites, from the filet mignon to the chopped steak; the rib eye is my frequent choice. But every dish on the menu is worthwhile and the product of careful planning by the owners, who are likely to be working in the kitchen or dining room every day. There is also full bar service and a surprising, if modest, wine list.

What I constantly remark on is the existence of such an eating place here in this very limited, seasonal economy and in the most remote of Colorado's mountains. Stop in, relax, enjoy.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

This was our only choice on Christmas Day! The service was awesome and the food even better! It was a bit chilly inside, but we were dressed warmly.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

seems that south fork doesnt have a GOOD FOOD niche service was horrible waitress not attentive walked into restaraunt and she as yelling at cook shoulda been a sign horribly overpriced i got the surloin which was overcooked and overpriced couldnt eat it waitress took mit away half eaten without offering comp or for me to take rest home meal came with dessert which we had to ask for felt like she was rushing us out the door her tip reflected this im usually not a com plainer but this was truly horrible

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Great liver and onions and very good steaks. Salads were average and bottle dressings. Desserts were home made, very good.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had a group of 11 that stopped in for dinner on the day we arrived. Menu is nicely varied, but prices are on the steep side for what you get. Our food was very good but service was extremely slow. Probably wouldn't go back.