“We Love this place and we will return many many times!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Spruce Lodge

Spruce Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in South Fork
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“We Love this place and we will return many many times!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

Quiet and homey. When we first came her for a stay it was in April 2011, they excepted myself my husband, and three of our team, with open arms. They respected our needs and the place was cosy and clean. The breakfast is larger than most big hotels offer. Coffee and Hot Cocoa availbale all day. We stay in the main lodge and were treated like family. The beds are new and comfy. Lots of pillows. Bathrooms are new and each have a jaccuzzi tub which are HEAVEN.....
I am so sad that some people would write what was great but give low scores. Well let me discribe this place as best I can. Family oriented, honest, warm, personable, atmosphere. Old charm of the deep west. A place to really get away from it all. The family who runs it makes you feel like you have just returned home. If you are looking for big city hotels this is not the place for you. But if nature and the great outdorrs is what you want The Spruce Lodge is for you.

Room Tip: Any room in the mail lodge is great.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DorothyTunnicliff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Aurora, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

No-one told us about the extensive renovations going on. Our room was dark, the carpet was ripped and not very clean, the bathroom was not good and the cockroach seemed quite at home there. I am not sure why there are so many positive comments about this lodge, it is not good. We are not terribly picky, have travelled extensively and really do not think this is good value for money. Sorry, will not be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol0104
dplucinskihotel, Owner at Spruce Lodge, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
SIGH. I know that it's impossible to please everyone. I KNOW THAT. It doesn't make me feel any better, though. We take great pride in our hotel and reviews like this just ruin our day. I have to remind myself, however, that even in my days working at the front desk of the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver and the Sheraton Park in Anaheim, CA we had people who were determined to complain. With that in mind, I looked at these properties on trip advisor and saw that even huge, beautiful, multi million dollar hotels with unlimited capital have snooties that are impossible to please.

THAT made me feel better!

Here's the deal. The Spruce Lodge isn't a Ritz, it's not a Hilton, it's not even a LaQuinta. It's a one of a kind place that can't be compared to anything else. We have beautiful bed and breakfast suites, we have little cabins new and old, we have bunkhouses, hotel rooms, motel rooms and an RV Park. If you're looking for a cookie cutter property this is not it! If you are looking for a pretentious, snobby bed and breakfast THIS IS NOT IT! This is a mom & pop establishment - don't know how else to describe it. If that's not what you're looking for PLEASE save both of us the headache and make your reservations in Vail or Aspen instead.

So I want to address the cockroach issue. Let me be perfectly clear. We do not have cockroaches. In fact, even when we bought this place 6 years ago, in it's filthiest, nastiest, run down dilapidated state there were no cockroaches. We are simply too high, too dry and too cold for them to live. Occasionally when it rains we will see a stink beetle. Perhaps you were confused.

Please check our description right here on Trip Advisor. It clearly states that our landscaping and deck renovations are underway. Our website says the same thing. We completely removed the old, dilapidated balcony on the main building and are replacing it with a hand crafted, hand peeled log masterpiece. Complete with half-round log steps, this is a work of art and it certainly isn't cheap! In addition, the old, narrow sidewalks have been removed and we are starting from scratch with beautiful, wide, tan and gray stamped concrete walks. We are adding a fountain in the middle of the yard, a sprinkler system, sod, crushed rock, several benches, two firepits, flowers, exotic grasses and several seating areas. We are very excited about it!

I would like to point out to anyone reading this - do you really think we would spend $40,000 on a new deck and landscaping if we had ripped carpet and cockroaches? Please look back at our earlier reviews from last summer and the summer before. There's a recurring theme. Rooms are really nice, but the place looks bad from the outside. Finally, because we've spent so much time attention and money on the inside, we have the business base and cash flow to address the outside. Ive said before, I'd much rather someone be less than impressed with the outside and be pleasantly suprised at the actual room than the other way around.

Oh - and its possible the room was dark because we just installed thermal, energy saving, light blocking curtains on all the rooms.

Please contact me and I will be happy to send you a gift certificate for a return stay. Perhaps next time you can experience our completed renovations and have a peaceful, enjoyable night.
Marlow, OK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

We really enjoyed staying at Spruce Lodge. The owners are very friendly and made us feel welcome. We had to leave our 13 year old son one afternoon at the Lodge alone and the owners were very helpful and nice to keep watch of him while we were gone. The rooms in the upstairs of the Lodge are absolutely beautiful. We stayed in a cabin like room. They are doing some renovations and landscaping and I can't wait to see it when it's finished. My son and his wife are planning to stay at the Spruce Lodge next summer when they go back for vacation. I would recommend Spruce Lodge if you want a relaxed, quiet, but family welcome feel.
Patti Price - Marlow, OK

Colorado Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

Rob and Dee are making lots of improvements to the place. Rooms are clean and comfortable and they always make me feel very welcome.

1 Thank kinnerj
Edgewood, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Our family came across Spruce Lodge a few years ago... We were looking for a place to stay while attending an out-of-state Cross Country Meet in Alamosa, CO. Most of the establishments were booked in Alamosa or very highly priced, thus taking our search to nearby cities/towns... South Fork, CO via internet. We are so very glad we did, coming back again and making plans to stay in the future :) Our experience with the owners: Rob & Dee Plucinski and family have been wonderful... They are very receptive to ones needs... Service: Great :) The rooms we have stayed in are comfortable and filled with storage... Rooms: Like :) They are located right-off the main road... Easy to find :) We just park our vehicle and walk everywhere... Local Malt Shoppe and Burgers = Very Yummy :)... Other restaurants within walking distance. Several local grocery-type/convenience stores nearby. There are antique and tourist establishments throughout the town... and we are eager to explore more on our next stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Corpus Christi, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Our cabin" near the river", was in fact pressed up between numerous RVs, cars and motorcycles. Dee, the proprietor, told me she calls the cabin a cabinette, so we wouldn't be expecting a cabin in the woods on fifty acres. The cabinette, did in fact have two bedrooms, a small kitchenette, bath, and a small area with a couch. We asked for chairs and a table so we could sit outside on the parking lot , which were promptly provided. The cabin was not very clean, although an attempt is being made as improvements are evident in fresh paint, and during our stay outside work was in progress with a working bobcat and saws cutting wood for a new porch on the lodge.
Dee, was gracious and helpful. The free rafting trip was great. She delivered our family up river for a three hour float trip and picked us up. There was a rain storm during our float trip and Dee went up river looking for us, which was nice.

dplucinskihotel, Owner at Spruce Lodge, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Wow - this is just frustrating.

Overall it sounds like you had a great experience. The free rafting was great and we were friendly, gracious and helpful. I don't see why you gave us only 2 out of 5......

Lets talk about the description of your unit. First of all, please check our website and online descriptions of the cabinette. Nowhere is there ANY wording that describes this unit as being near the river or in the woods - as you have put in quotation marks. NOWHERE.

The actual description reads.... These small cabin duplexes each have two bedrooms, full bathroom and a private covered porch. Approximately 400 square feet, each side has one full size bed in each bedroom, a full size bathroom, a living room with cable TV. One side has a small dining table that will seat 3.

We have done our absolute best to accurately represent this little unit in the descriptions and through pictures. If you look at our website there are pictures of the cabinette with RV's right next to it on both the cabins tab and the RV's tab. Also, as you mentioned, I did my best to describe it to you on the phone as well. I told you that we call it a cabinette because so many people have different descriptions of what a cabin is. I told you that I didn't want you expecting a secluded cabin in the woods. You admit that, what else am I supposed to do?

We knew that you were hesitant about the unit when you checked in. If you recall, we showed you other options including room #2 and one of our Jacuzzi suites, but you chose to stay in the cabinette. We also gave you the option to cancel your reservation and find something else in town, but you chose to keep your cabinette. After that, we did our absolute darndest to please you including bringing a picinic table, which is not advertised or included with ANY of our units. We actually had to drive 10 miles to my mom's house and borrow hers for the week, but we did it because we truely care about your experience.

Regarding the fact that the unit was not very clean. I don't know what to say except that I'm sorry. I would beg to differ on this, as ALL of our units are always very clean. However, we did have a housekeeper working with us for the month of July and I can not absolutely guarantee that the room was spotless like they usually are. 11 months a year I clean EVERY SINGLE ROOM myself, EVERY SINGLE DAY. I KNOW they are clean. Honestly, in July, I physically cant do it. I spend all of my time running free raft trips and taking reservations. There are simply not enough hours in the day to clean 17 rooms as well. Honestly, how often do you stay in a room where the owner scrubs the bathroom floor and baseboards with a toothbrush and ajax between every guest? Who else sanitizes doorknobs and lightswitches? No one. Because other hotels employ housekeepers all the time. We do not -- because we cant trust them to clean like we do. Because they dont own the place. We do.

I'm sorry that you were not satisfied with your experience. Please call me with your email address and we will send you a gift certificate for a free return trip including rafting. Perhaps you will have a more positive experience next time. Most people love it here, we'd be honored if you would give us a second chance.

Thank you.

Dee
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

My wife and I just came back from a tour of Colorado. My wife lived there for a few years and I had never been. So she wanted to show me what the mountains are like.

One of our destinations was Creede so we stayed in South Fork, which is nearby. We chose the Spruce Lodge based on TripAdvisor reviews and am so glad that we did! Dee and Rob have really done a fine job with the details here.

We stayed in the Rio Grande suite (the bed has the 3 doors for a headboard in the pictures) and were treated to a very nicely decorated and clean room. The bed was very comfortable and the freshly refinished bathroom with a jetted bathtub was wonderful!

Both my wife and I were particularly intrigued by the pedestal sink - it has separate hot/cold faucets that fill up a little "mixing chamber" bowl and then pours the warm water into the sink. Normally dual faucets are annoying since one side is hot and the other is cold, but this one is seriously cool and works great (I know, it's a small thing but this hotel has some great little details like that).

While there's no AC, the temperature was perfect with the windows open and ceiling fans on. And if you get too hot, the ceiling fans can spin crazy fast - almost like an airplane propeller to cool off quickly. They also had an electric fireplace in each room of the suite to keep things warm in the winter.

Yet another detail I noticed - especially after staying in 4 different hotels in 4 nights. There are a ton of electrical outlets in the room. In every other hotel I've stayed in, I've had to unplug a lamp or alarm clock to plug in my cell phone charger. Not here - there were plenty of outlets around. Again...the details.

The wood floors and staircase, while creaky, are beautiful. Some people might be annoyed by the creaks, but it's an old building and really adds character. Both my wife and I loved it.

Dee and Rob really take pride in their establishment. They're doing some refurbishment on the balcony right now and doing what they can to keep the entire place maintained and continue improving it. They really care about making sure their guests are happy and they do a fine job of it. There were some regular guests there that I could tell were treated like family. One lady we spoke with spends some time every summer there and was just as concerned for our happiness as Dee and Rob.

Now that I've seen several places in Colorado, I want to go back and do the things that we didn't have time to do like rafting, fishing, and exploring the mountain trails. My wife and I have decided that when we do, we're going to spend a few days in South Fork and stay at the Spruce Lodge again.

Room Tip: The Rio Grande room is great!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple