“Historic Lodge set amongst RVs everywhere”
Review of Spruce Lodge

Spruce Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in South Fork
Reviewed 19 August 2011

The Spruce Lodge was a fine for our overnight stop in South Fork. Although we had to wait for about 1/2 hour for the office to open on a Sunday afternoon, we were rewarded with a nice room and great bed. The room was clean, towels thick, sheets comfortable, and overall had a great night's sleep. The Lodge offers a range of quality in their room choices, and we were satisfied with our 2nd choice of room after declining the first room we looked at. And we were offerred a reduced rate for our preferred room. The owners seem to be in the process of slowing upgrading all their facilities, so I expect the Lodge to continue to improve with time. They have a collection of friendly pets, so visitors have the option of getting caught up on quality cat and dog time.

Room Tip: Check the room choices before committing to make sure you get one that meets your standards.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2011

I stay a few days while traveling on business. Rob and Dee the owners were great hosts. My room was clean and my bed was comfortable. They are making improvements to the place. They told me about the new landscaping plans and the new stairs that will lead to the suites up the main part of the Lodge. The Stairs that are done so far are beautifu all hand done.l. The owners are giving away free rafting with a 3 day stay. I plan to bring some friends back to do that soon. Want to come back to see the finish job on the landscaping. Their are some great places to eat near by. I liked the way the breakfast was ready whenever I want to leave even at 4am. That was real helpful for my job. Since most places put out breakfast after I leave early in the morning. Thanks to Rob and Dee for everything you did to make my stay a great one.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I stayed for a few days at this wonderful lodge. The owners Rob and Dee were great. They explained their plans on the landscaping and the new stairs going up to suites is beautiful. My room was clean and the bed was real comfortable. Love it and plan to come back with friends. Want to come back to see landscape after it is finished. Wonderful mountain area love their idea of free rafting if you stay 3 days. Plan to raft my next visit. Thanks Rob and Dee for a wonderful stay.
Jean

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Called on short notice and booked into the only room left - a 5 bed bunkhouse with one bathroom, and was happy to get in. The value would have been better if we had more than three of us.

I only wish that we could have come after the construction, because it looks like it's going to be wonderful.

We were happy to walk to dinner next door after spending all day in the car. The food was good although the service was a little slow at the restaurant.

My daughter got a kick out of seeing a DeLorean in the parking lot. That was quite unexpected.

I only wish we had stayed more than one night to experience more of what they have to offer.

I should add that the wi-fi was quite speedy (No problems with Netflix) and my toilet was rock solid.

Overall this appears to be a very good property with owners who care and are committed both emotionally and financially to it's success. God bless them for that! We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Quiet and homey. When we first came her for a stay it was in April 2011, they excepted myself my husband, and three of our team, with open arms. They respected our needs and the place was cosy and clean. The breakfast is larger than most big hotels offer. Coffee and Hot Cocoa availbale all day. We stay in the main lodge and were treated like family. The beds are new and comfy. Lots of pillows. Bathrooms are new and each have a jaccuzzi tub which are HEAVEN.....
I am so sad that some people would write what was great but give low scores. Well let me discribe this place as best I can. Family oriented, honest, warm, personable, atmosphere. Old charm of the deep west. A place to really get away from it all. The family who runs it makes you feel like you have just returned home. If you are looking for big city hotels this is not the place for you. But if nature and the great outdorrs is what you want The Spruce Lodge is for you.

Room Tip: Any room in the mail lodge is great.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DorothyTunnicliff
Reviewed 8 August 2011

No-one told us about the extensive renovations going on. Our room was dark, the carpet was ripped and not very clean, the bathroom was not good and the cockroach seemed quite at home there. I am not sure why there are so many positive comments about this lodge, it is not good. We are not terribly picky, have travelled extensively and really do not think this is good value for money. Sorry, will not be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carol0104
dplucinskihotel, Owner at Spruce Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

SIGH. I know that it's impossible to please everyone. I KNOW THAT. It doesn't make me feel any better, though. We take great pride in our hotel and reviews like this just ruin our day. I have to remind myself, however, that even in my days working at the front desk of the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver and the Sheraton Park in Anaheim, CA we had people who were determined to complain. With that in mind, I looked at these properties on trip advisor and saw that even huge, beautiful, multi million dollar hotels with unlimited capital have snooties that are impossible to please.

THAT made me feel better!

Here's the deal. The Spruce Lodge isn't a Ritz, it's not a Hilton, it's not even a LaQuinta. It's a one of a kind place that can't be compared to anything else. We have beautiful bed and breakfast suites, we have little cabins new and old, we have bunkhouses, hotel rooms, motel rooms and an RV Park. If you're looking for a cookie cutter property this is not it! If you are looking for a pretentious, snobby bed and breakfast THIS IS NOT IT! This is a mom & pop establishment - don't know how else to describe it. If that's not what you're looking for PLEASE save both of us the headache and make your reservations in Vail or Aspen instead.

So I want to address the cockroach issue. Let me be perfectly clear. We do not have cockroaches. In fact, even when we bought this place 6 years ago, in it's filthiest, nastiest, run down dilapidated state there were no cockroaches. We are simply too high, too dry and too cold for them to live. Occasionally when it rains we will see a stink beetle. Perhaps you were confused.

Please check our description right here on Trip Advisor. It clearly states that our landscaping and deck renovations are underway. Our website says the same thing. We completely removed the old, dilapidated balcony on the main building and are replacing it with a hand crafted, hand peeled log masterpiece. Complete with half-round log steps, this is a work of art and it certainly isn't cheap! In addition, the old, narrow sidewalks have been removed and we are starting from scratch with beautiful, wide, tan and gray stamped concrete walks. We are adding a fountain in the middle of the yard, a sprinkler system, sod, crushed rock, several benches, two firepits, flowers, exotic grasses and several seating areas. We are very excited about it!

I would like to point out to anyone reading this - do you really think we would spend $40,000 on a new deck and landscaping if we had ripped carpet and cockroaches? Please look back at our earlier reviews from last summer and the summer before. There's a recurring theme. Rooms are really nice, but the place looks bad from the outside. Finally, because we've spent so much time attention and money on the inside, we have the business base and cash flow to address the outside. Ive said before, I'd much rather someone be less than impressed with the outside and be pleasantly suprised at the actual room than the other way around.

Oh - and its possible the room was dark because we just installed thermal, energy saving, light blocking curtains on all the rooms.

Please contact me and I will be happy to send you a gift certificate for a return stay. Perhaps next time you can experience our completed renovations and have a peaceful, enjoyable night.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We really enjoyed staying at Spruce Lodge. The owners are very friendly and made us feel welcome. We had to leave our 13 year old son one afternoon at the Lodge alone and the owners were very helpful and nice to keep watch of him while we were gone. The rooms in the upstairs of the Lodge are absolutely beautiful. We stayed in a cabin like room. They are doing some renovations and landscaping and I can't wait to see it when it's finished. My son and his wife are planning to stay at the Spruce Lodge next summer when they go back for vacation. I would recommend Spruce Lodge if you want a relaxed, quiet, but family welcome feel.
Patti Price - Marlow, OK

Ute Bluff Lodge, Cabins & RV Park
Wolf Creek Ranch Ski Lodge
Wolf Creek Ranch Ski Lodge
#2 of 2 in South Fork

Been to Spruce Lodge? Share your experiences!